Homeless man with golden radio voice (vid)

[h1]'Golden-voiced' homeless man lands radio spot [/h1][h2]YouTube video becomes sensation, draws attention of Ohio show [/h2]
  1. [h4]Below:[/h4]
    • x [h6]Jump to discussion comments below [/h6]
    • discussion

Advertisement | ad info

msnbc.com msnbc.com

updated 1/4/2011 9:04:57 PM ET 2011-01-05T02:04:57
COLUMBUS, Ohio â€” An Internet video of a homeless man showing off his self-described "God-given gift of a great voice" has landed him a spot on a local radio show.

A reporter from the Columbus Dispatch came across Ted Williams while Williams was panhandling near Interstate 71 recently. Williams was carrying a sign explaining he was a former radio announcer who had fallen on hard times.

"Any help will be gratefully appreciated," the sign said.

A roadside interview on YouTube demonstrates the homeless man isn't exaggerating. He's as smooth as any announcer heard on radio or television.

The popularity of the "the voice" video has soared on the Internet, spawning coverage in the N.Y. Daily Post and CBS News.

Williams said he grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y., and at 14 took a field trip to a radio station. While there, he was struck that one of the on-air announcers looked nothing like he sounded.

"Radio is a theater of the mind," the worker said. Williams was hooked. He said it took years to develop his voice and he also "went to school for it."

advertisement | ad info

Advertisement | ad info

Advertisement | ad info

"Alcohol and drugs — and few other things — became my life," he said, but since has "been two years clean."

Now, he will get another chance to unleash his voice on radio again and possibly even something more promising.

A morning radio show in Columbus called " Dave and Jimmy" plans to interview "the homeless man with the awesome voice" in studio on Wednesday, CBS reported.

"We're going to find some way to help this guy!" Dave and Jimmy said on their Facebook page.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40916364/ns/us_news-wonderful_world/?gt1=43001

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

Originally Posted by romedadude

Originally Posted by Trent Ferris

at first i was expecting the "i should tell ya mama on you" dude.

but this guy's voice really is amazing.

i never felt so earnestly for a person i never knew, but i feel him and his struggle.

like, i really wanna see this dude come up.
Same here.

pimp.gif
eek.gif
�this is crazy!
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

SICK

Originally Posted by Tfromthe617

Originally Posted by romedadude

Originally Posted by Trent Ferris

at first i was expecting the "i should tell ya mama on you" dude.

but this guy's voice really is amazing.

i never felt so earnestly for a person i never knew, but i feel him and his struggle.

like, i really wanna see this dude come up.
Same here.

pimp.gif
eek.gif
�this is crazy!
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

SICK

1.2 million hits on that YT video. This is blowing up to unprecedented levels.. OHIO???? Think Hollywood. This dude could be doing commercials and movie trailers. I guess you start small at your first "starting point", but he's bound for greatness.

Not a radio voice persay, but the PA guy from my area college was my substitute teacher in high school one day. During attendance/roll call
laugh.gif
It sounded like we were all being announced for the big basketball game

1.2 million hits on that YT video. This is blowing up to unprecedented levels.. OHIO???? Think Hollywood. This dude could be doing commercials and movie trailers. I guess you start small at your first "starting point", but he's bound for greatness.

Not a radio voice persay, but the PA guy from my area college was my substitute teacher in high school one day. During attendance/roll call
laugh.gif
It sounded like we were all being announced for the big basketball game

ok...take this for what it is...

- Yes he has an amazing voice, and he's blessed with it....BUT
- To just give him a job in radio or something like that over someone (like me) with a degree in the field who paid his/her dues is that fair?
- You don't just hand out these kind of jobs...idk that's what comes to mind to me when people just say give this man so n so...it's more of a charity case type of thing.

- To just give him a job in radio or something like that over someone (like me) with a degree in the field who paid his/her dues is that fair?
- You don't just hand out these kind of jobs...idk that's what comes to mind to me when people just say give this man so n so...it's more of a charity case type of thing.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

You can not be serious? Are you not human?

This man was addicted to drugs, alcohol, and was homeless for whatever reason, yet it seems he has overcome some tough obstacles in his life and is now getting a second chance. Then you think you deserve it more than him because you "paid your dues"? How do you know he hasn't? You don't know his situation or what he's been through. You don't know why he's homeless, why he was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Instead of sounding like a ****, have a god damn heart man.

You can not be serious? Are you not human?

This man was addicted to drugs, alcohol, and was homeless for whatever reason, yet it seems he has overcome some tough obstacles in his life and is now getting a second chance. Then you think you deserve it more than him because you "paid your dues"? How do you know he hasn't? You don't know his situation or what he's been through. You don't know why he's homeless, why he was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Instead of sounding like a ****, have a god damn heart man.

I like how everyone all of a sudden has a soul and a conscience. Listen I'm not saying this man doesn't deserve to make money off his gift, but people want to give him the world because they feel sorry or bad for him...

There are people more deserving of such limited opportunities I feel.

I like how everyone all of a sudden has a soul and a conscience. Listen I'm not saying this man doesn't deserve to make money off his gift, but people want to give him the world because they feel sorry or bad for him...

There are people more deserving of such limited opportunities I feel.

He has a radio voice. YES, you do just get jobs like that.

Maybe you start small time on local access then 10 years of local then a national chain. But damn, let this dude dream

He has a radio voice. YES, you do just get jobs like that.

Maybe you start small time on local access then 10 years of local then a national chain. But damn, let this dude dream

Its not what you know, it who you know, dude put was discoverd and you clearly miss this the part he did go school for this so he does have some level of education.
He can be doing crack or begging, or mugging you on the street, let my man shine.
Stop hating on the dude, and get that paper.

Its not what you know, it who you know, dude put was discoverd and you clearly miss this the part he did go school for this so he does have some level of education.
He can be doing crack or begging, or mugging you on the street, let my man shine.
Stop hating on the dude, and get that paper.

Back
Top Bottom