How do the following salaries stack up in your area?

$40k per year

$50k per year

$65k per year

$80k per year

This includes relevant costs such as rent, utilities, transportation, food, some debt, and social life. After taxes of course. Whether you're single or have children should factor into it as well.

Was reading a post on Reddit and it's crazy seeing how the same salary can lead to wildly different lifestyles depending on where you're at.

Last edited:
Many other factors to consider other than salary.

# of kids?
Married or Single?
Spending style?

I get the premise of the question but that is limited info.

I'm a bachelor so let's just say single.

Assume a typical lifestyle in which you go out every so often

40K - Living at home
50K - Living month to month
65K - Medicocre, maybe a nice car and a decent apartment
80K- Nice apartment, decent car
100K- Nice Apartment and Nice car
None of these can get you a house lol
Culver City, CA

This is the general kind of answer I'm looking for

40K - live comfortable w/ apartment and car
50k - live comfortable w/ house and car
65k - live in the heart of the city and comfortable
80k - live like a king
100k- live like a god

Atlanta, Ga

Atlanta the city? Or, outside the inner city?

40K - live comfortable w/ apartment and car
50k - live comfortable w/ house and car
65k - live in the heart of the city and comfortable
80k - live like a king
100k- live like a god

Atlanta, Ga

Can confirm. Have family in GA. Outside of the ATL you can be very comfortable on what might be considered modest or even low pay elsewhere. Even in the city proper you can live good for cheap.

My sis for example lives in either Bankhead or Buckhead (can't remember) has a big *** crib with 3 or four bedrooms, two car garage, single mom, and she makes an average salary.

Can confirm. Have family in GA. Outside of the ATL you can be very comfortable on what might be considered modest or even low pay elsewhere. Even in the city proper you can live good for cheap.

My sis for example lives in either bankhead or Buckhead (can't remember) has a big *** crib with 3 or four bedrooms, two car garage, single mom, and I know for a fact she makes less than 60k.

The cost of living out here is dirt cheap compared to other big metro cities in America. Atlanta is THE place to be if you’re young and black especially. Have a friend of the family pulling about 90K and his wife makes about 50k and they live in a 500K home out in Forsyth. ***** has a movie theater in the crib :lol: it’s wild out here

Outskirts like Riverdale, Jonesboro but I’d call it Atlanta because you’re right there and have access to everything being there

Jonesboro is not right there :lol: That’s outside 285 fam.

Riverdale road...you stay around walker road? Riverdale, is almost there..

With the gentrification in downtown Atlanta, 100K salary for a single person isn’t cutting it for a nice house and nice car. An apartment yes. Maybe -luck up in the Westend & part of Bankhead

Last edited:
Don’t mean **** if you don’t know how to manage your money and hustle.

If you make 40k a year and you’re only working 40hours and you’re satisfied, that’s cool, some people just want basic needs. But if you’re struggling and want more money, make better use of those extra 100+ hours you have for the week.

I know a girl who works at Starbucks everyday 5am- 12pm. She’s tired everyday. You know why????

She strips everyday before coming into work.

Don’t mean **** if you don’t know how to manage your money and hustle.

If you make 40k a year and you’re only working 40hours and you’re satisfied, that’s cool, some people just want basic needs. But if you’re struggling and want more money, make better use of those extra 100+ hours you have for the week.

I know a girl who works at Starbucks everyday 5am- 12pm. She’s tired everyday. You know why????

She strips everyday before coming into work.

Ok but the question isnt about hustling and being a stripper :lol:

The question is about general impressions of cost of living leveraged against a specific base pay by area for a single adult with typical expenses

40K - Living at home
50K - Living month to month
65K - Medicocre, maybe a nice car and a decent apartment
80K- Nice apartment, decent car
100K- Nice Apartment and Nice car
None of these can get you a house lol
Culver City, CA

Culver City damn expensive. I work right there.
It’s also growing big time with a ton of crap being built. No houses less than 1million
I’m commuting from Santa Clarita.

Also Na on all place being expensive in Cali. you can live in Palmdale for the cheap. But there isn’t crap to do there lmao. Hour away from anything decent there. GF lives there.

Is all of Cali this bad? I hear horror stories about the Bay
I think anywhere in the SF Bay Area, the cost of living is definitely more expensive.

Silicon Valley is just as bad too.

A lot of people live inland towards the Valley (Sacramento, etc) and make the commute into SF daily. :sick:

I know if I make it back to to the Bay Area, my commute will be long (will take the ferry). I will not ruin my quality of life by sitting in a car for 6 hrs a day everyday.

$40k per year

$50k per year

$65k per year

$80k per year

This includes relevant costs such as rent, utilities, transportation, food, some debt, and social life. After taxes of course. Whether you're single or have children should factor into it as well.

Was reading a post on Reddit and it's crazy seeing how the same salary can lead to wildly different lifestyles depending on where you're at.

Assuming you mean said person is single.

$40K 1-2 roommates and public transportation
$50K Same
$65K 1 or 2 BR apartment and a car
$80K 2 or 3 BR apartment and a car

And you'd have to find a great deal to get apartments in decent parts of the city for those salaries.

Back
Top Bottom