How do the following salaries stack up in your area?

DC has a lot more culture than Orlando (not too far behind). But way less traffic, lower cost of living, cheap flights to vacation destinations. 110 in Orlando can go a lot further than 150 in DC.

DC has a lot more culture than Orlando (not too far behind). But way less traffic, lower cost of living, cheap flights to vacation destinations. 110 in Orlando can go a lot further than 150 in DC.

He didn’t think Orlando was a city. If he wanted to live in the burbs he would he said.

Los Angeles, CA

Just on my personal experiences. Single, no kids.
We talking gross pay or net.? ( I make a little over 60k gross which nets around 46k)
Own(no roommates) 1br apartment. $1900
Basic car payment/lease. Sub $600 including insurance .
Utilities (gas,cell,internet,lights,water etc.) $600
Food ( I don't cook) $600

Do the math, this leaves me with very little to play with. I usually save a couple hundred a month so I basically live paycheck to paycheck on these expenses.

Don't get me wrong, I would def consider this a "comfortable" living, as for most people I know, they're either still living at home or with roommates.
Nothing like living on your own. But to the other posters who have mentioned buying/owning a home on this salary in SoCal.? WTF.?! How.????

Sure I can cut cost. Buy a beater whip and not have a car payment. Cut down significantly on food cost by not eating out all day. Get a studio apartment instead of 1bed. ****, but even then, no way in hell you affording a mortgage payment out here when even the fixer uppers are demanding 1/2 million.

How do you do it?
Do you stay in on the weekends?
And yes your totally right.
Half a milli on a ugly fixer upper is pretty much it at this point

$40k per year

$50k per year

$65k per year

$80k per year

This includes relevant costs such as rent, utilities, transportation, food, some debt, and social life. After taxes of course. Whether you're single or have children should factor into it as well.

Was reading a post on Reddit and it's crazy seeing how the same salary can lead to wildly different lifestyles depending on where you're at.

NYC area:

Broke, struggling, just enough, somewhat thriving

アミーゴ アミーゴ your mans was wildin for not talking that Orlando offer with that salary...assuming his responsibilities not too crazy, yo could be living lovely down there ...even if it don’t got the traditional city feel, they got a ton of amenities in the area since Disney is a world wide tourist destination

Last edited:
アミーゴ アミーゴ your mans was wildin for not talking that Orlando offer with that salary...assuming his responsibilities not too crazy, yobcould be living lovely down there ...even if it don’t got the traditional city feel, they got a ton of amenities in the area since Disney is a world wide tourist destination

Well it was same role and he had the option of taking 40k less. Single dude, 30 yrs old, wanted the 40K because he can translate that long term, especially if he wants to go to LA/ NY/ SF.

Company reached out to my boy here in DC - told him option of living here or Orlando. Told him the Orlando salary was 110 while DC was 150 lmao.
Yeah company I used to work for had a discrepancy like that based on COLA between the DC area and Memphis, but the Memphis folks complained and got the same. In essence making the DC area folks making less and Memphis folks living good.

Yeah company I used to work for had a discrepancy like that based on COLA between the DC area and Memphis, but the Memphis folks complained and got the same. In essence making the DC area folks making less and Memphis folks living good.

Now that is wild. The company could literally just look at cost of living, there’s some economic paper that is updated quarterly for that.

You a CC? How you getting 140k in LA?
No, I'm a charge. I make above average, but I work almost everyday and work for differential (usually an extra 100$) on top of my normal pay. Get overtime after 40 hours. I made 180k 2 years ago, busting my butt.

How do you do it?
Do you stay in on the weekends?
And yes your totally right.
Half a milli on a ugly fixer upper is pretty much it at this point

Again, it's basically paycheck to paycheck. But for the most part, yes. I rarely go out on the weekends. I have a sweet backyard so I'm usually hosting little BBQ/get togethers at my place.
Lots of beer, good food and good company> $8 beers and $20 appetizers at the local pub.

$600 seems on the highside for utility for a single person.
Yeah, I guess you're right. But Im including gas in this category. We're still $4/gallon out here. I'm spending about $70/week.

Some of ya’ll haven’t spent much time in Orlando. Downtown has a great bar and restaurant scene with a bunch of new high rise condos that have gone up in the last ten years. Disney isn’t “Orlando.”

Some of ya’ll haven’t spent much time in Orlando. Downtown has a great bar and restaurant scene with a bunch of new high rise condos that have gone up in the last ten years. Disney isn’t “Orlando.”

we got enough transplants in florida as it is now reason why everyone think florida is crazy when its the transplants who make the news everyday.

let them keep passing it up

I would of took that 110 in Orlando in a snap and aint look back and I used to live in NOVA.

All its about is keeping up with the joneses and renting someone basement or having a roommate. Got the hell on up out of there after a year or so. Went back southside.

$40k per year - living at home or multiple roommates. Just barely getting by
$50k per year - same as above
$65k per year - 1 bedroom apartment - just getting by
$80k per year - 1 -2 bedroom apartment - living okay

NYC

NYC housing is ridiculous. Tried to find a place in Brooklyn but I refuse to pay 2400 in rent not including utilities and bills.

Household income is about 120k+, living in SI. I will say I’m living pretty good for now.
As minimum wage increases, I wish my salary did as well

Almost forgot to mention... if you live NYC, don’t get cable. It really is a waste of money that can be saved for other things.

If you live in Bklyn, Manhattan or Queens, a car is not worth it. Insurance is sky high and if you get into an accident expect a major increase.

we got enough transplants in florida as it is now reason why everyone think florida is crazy when its the transplants who make the news everyday.

let them keep passing it up

I would of took that 110 in Orlando in a snap and aint look back and I used to live in NOVA.

All its about is keeping up with the joneses and renting someone basement or having a roommate. Got the hell on up out of there after a year or so. Went back southside.

Not tryna keep up with the Joneses. I'm in no rush live in those MAGAville type places.

Mans said "Florida man" was not a Floridian. That denial. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom