How do the following salaries stack up in your area?

I realized I have the opportunity to pay off my car and one of my student loans in full this summer if don't act like a complete fool.

I think I'm going to make that happen before I move closer to my new job. It would basically mean the equivalent of throwing most of my new salary at advance payments for a while but at the end it means I can afford a doper spot.

College debt is a massive detriment to cost of living but it can be managed.

No way in hell I would move to Orlando for 110. You can live great at 150 in DC if you live right outside of the city, especially in MD.

You can definitely live in the city, his 1 bedroom is on U St and he pays 2.7 a month. Plenty of income left, he’s out raging every weekend.

40K - live comfortable w/ apartment and car
50k - live comfortable w/ house and car
65k - live in the heart of the city and comfortable
80k - live like a king
100k- live like a god

Atlanta, Ga

ehhh
$40k per year

$50k per year

$65k per year

$80k per year

This includes relevant costs such as rent, utilities, transportation, food, some debt, and social life. After taxes of course. Whether you're single or have children should factor into it as well.

Was reading a post on Reddit and it's crazy seeing how the same salary can lead to wildly different lifestyles depending on where you're at.

Bay Area
$40k :rofl:
$50k:rofl:
$65k:rofl:
$80k:rofl:

Seriously, anything less than a $100k and you're living paycheck to paycheck. My fiancee and I rent a 1,300 sq ft 3 bed/2 bath in Concord (an hour away from San Francisco, half hour from Oakland and Berkeley) for $2,800 a month and that's a steal for the area. 1 bedrooms go for $3,500 easily in San Francisco.

In Maricopa County AZ you cannot comfortably support a family unless you making $65K+

I mean people do it. But they’re scraping by.

Ideally you want that $80K+

If you’re single however you can live like a king off $40K

Im headed that way later this year. Any job leads? I don't want to work in a call center.

I have a business degree and supervisor experience.

$40k per year

$50k per year

$65k per year

$80k per year

Midwest

50k - Made this, your bills are on auto-pay and you're living decently comfortable. House in a low crime rate neighborhood, pretty decent apartment, etc.

65k - Make this, your bills are on auto-pay, you're living very comfortable. Same as 50k for houses, luxury apartment

80k - Don't make this, but I would say 70k is your glass ceiling for QoL provided by your finances.

Im slightly above 65 and have everything I want/need and live in a very nice apartment downtown. Cost of living is very low.

Still gonna move though, Midwest is trash. Prolly West Coast.

40K - live comfortable w/ apartment and car
50k - live comfortable w/ house and car
65k - live in the heart of the city and comfortable
80k - live like a king
100k- live like a god

Atlanta, Ga

If I dont move out west i'll prolly be headed to ATL.

Just came back from ATL like a week ago, love being there.

Chick I saw outside the American Deli in Fulton had me ready to drop to a knee

At the mid 90s and I'd be living check to check if I had my own spot. Hard to find a 1 br for less than 2k in a decent neighborhood.

Brooklyn, NY

Last edited:
Almost forgot to mention... if you live NYC, don’t get cable. It really is a waste of money that can be saved for other things.

If you live in Bklyn, Manhattan or Queens, a car is not worth it. Insurance is sky high and if you get into an accident expect a major increase.

Depends on where you live in Brooklyn. If you live in Canarsie or in the Manhattan Beach area for example, you need a car.

Some of these prices are ludicrous. I heard there are people in New York that make 6 figures with 4 roommates.

Some of these prices are ludicrous. I heard there are people in New York that make 6 figures with 4 roommates.
Alot of those ppl choose to live in them buildings with crazy prices ...like that article I seen on here a while back about 3 dudes living in a 1.5 bedroom cuz they wanna stay in the middle of Manhattan

DC when I made $40-60k I lived in a basement of a house in MD with 2 other roommates in the house and was paycheck to paycheck. Borrowed a car from my parents.

When I was started making $70k I had a 2 BR in DC proper with one roommate but was still paycheck to paycheck and still didnt own a car.

I don’t have a fixed income anymore. Not exactly sure what my pay would equate to salary wise but I make a lot more now. At least $100k. I paid off all my debt, bought a new car paid in full, rented a 3 story
House with backyard in DC for 2 years, and have saved a lot of money on top of that.

I think $80k in DC you can live pretty comfortably.

I heard there are people in New York that make 6 figures with 4 roommates.

People exaggerate. Tons of people live in New York with less than 6 figures. Now if you want a posh spot in the middle of Manhattan it might be tough. But you can get a spot, for you, in the middle of Manhattan for 2500-3k. And not need a car.

That’s basically everyone that moves to NYC from elsewhere.

Same thing in the Bay Area. There's plenty of places you can get a studio/1 bedroom for under 2K if you're willing to take a train/drive, but out of towners want to pay $3-4K to live in the Mission District, a place where no Bay Area native in his or her right mind would choose to move to (gang violence has decreased, but it's still full of fiends and dog @#$@ everywhere)

I know some idiots will come in and be like "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ARTICLES" just go on Craigslist and set the limit to 2K and the region to East Bay/South Bay (or even Daly City, 15 mins away from SF; I just tend to exclude it because of how awful the weather is there).

Literally the first one that popped up on a search right now is a $1900 apartment in Fremont (40-45 mins train ride/drive to downtown SF). That may sound like a long time, but by comparison, it takes at least 25-30 minutes from the Marina, one of the most expensive parts of SF, due to the garbage public transportation in the city.

If you'd rather pay an extra $2000 to save 20 minutes to get to work, you have no right to complain

Last edited:
I live in Miami Beach... South Beach to be exact.

Single. No Kids. No car.

Immediate Costs:

Rent - $1,525 (1 bedroom Apt)
Internet - $86 a month
Utilities - During the "winter months" anywhere from $35-45 bucks for my Light & Electricity as I'll turn the AC off and get a breeze coming from the east with my windows open. June-August it can get up to $60-80 a month cause I'll keep that AC blasting.
Cell - $91 a month

I still have student loans, about 15k left. 1 CC. I say in immediate pertinent bills I pay about $1,950 a month in bills. This is before my misc spending as far as groceries, haircuts, misc crib ****. That's not even me including going out etc and spending bread.

I save $$$ on the car costs by not having one since my job is pretty much a 10 minute walk from my crib, everything is within walking distance from me including Publix.

Still... With my salary... I still find it hard to stack up as much as I can. My job is with the Gov and I'm under paid compared to what I should be making, by atleast 10-12k annually. Currently looking for new work cause this isn't cutting it for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom