How is "********" an appropriate name for a professional sports team ?

My coworker has a big ******** fan, and he insists that the term "********" is not offensive. How the hell is it not? Many Native Americans are offended by this term. Wouldn't it be the same as a team being called "Darkies", "Yellow Skins", etc. ?

There's a difference between a team called "Seminoles" or "Braves" (Actual tribes) versus just straight up "********"
grin.gif
Also, does no one stop and look at the reason why this name came to be in the first place? The racist owner who bought the Boston Braves and changed the name to market the team to Southern whites?

Almost forgot about the Cleveland Indians logo too
tired.gif

cleveland_indians_mascot-9358.gif

It wasnt inappropriate when the team was named. World is too politically correct these days IMO.

Its not appropriate but what are you going to do?

D.Wight Mann runs this world.  They believe there's too much $ involved at this point to change the name

Originally Posted by dland24

It wasnt inappropriate when the team was named. World is too politically correct these days IMO.

It was only considered "appropriate" because racism was openly promoted in this country at the time. Like I said, might as well make a team called "Darkies" since that was appropriate back then too.

Let's say I'm just being too PC. Should I ignore the fact that Native Americans find the term offensive? I mean it's a pretty big issue when it reaches the Supreme Court

$#%@#%##. This isn't the Seminoles we're talking about. It's the ********. It's racist. I like the analogy to "Darkies" or "Yellow Skins".
It hasn't been changed because the NFL has too much power. Plus Dan Snyder is an #*##$*$ (I know this dates back to when JKC was the owner).

@+@$ is offensive to me and always has been, Indians logo too both racist as hell but hey its America

it WAS inappropriate when the team was named... the only thing is that no one had a voice to say otherwise.

I am so glad my alma mater changed from it. Offensive and antiquated. I'm with you OP, much different than some of the other tribes/names listed

It is incredibly racist but unfortunately the team is too old and too popular to change it, they have no incentive too. 

I can't see the Indians ever doing away with Chief Wahoo, but I'm glad they have progressed towards using the block C more now.

This is another reason why I don't rock with the local football team.  This team has more issues than a little bit.

Steal their land, exterminate them, then blatantly mock them with a racist sports team mascot in the biggest sports league in the country.

Yeah the United States is really too politically correct today.

this crossed my mind when i was watching to fsu game last night, and listening to the crow doing their indian chants 
laugh.gif

I truly despise the name and the excuse the supreme court gave for not forcing the change is ridiculous! (the SP said the native Americans waited too long to bring it up) what does that even mean? Like, why does it matter? It's still a very incensitive racial slur.

I love my team because I grew up supporting but they need to change this soon or I will refuse to go watch the games and support the team in any way.( like they will give a damn)
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

it WAS inappropriate when the team was named... the only thing is that no one had a voice to say otherwise.

this

Well, if one believes in the power of prayer, then it could be said that the ******** have been "rain danced" into insignificance in terms of on-field success. Financially, however, they are still thriving. Ironically, that anomaly fits the D.C. area to a "T."

If the North Dakota Fighting Sioux had to change their name because of the word "Fighting", the ******** should have to do so too. The ******** is worse actually.

Yeah it's classic, but it's blatantly offensive and shouldn't be around anymore.

Good question. Im glad they got rid of that ridiculous Chief Iliniwik at illinois. That was a $!#!*%# disgrace.

From Wikipedia:
Some consider the namesake and logo of the Washington ******** insensitive towards Native Americans.[sup][51][/sup] There have been movements by certain groups to change the name,[sup][52][/sup] but the attempts have been unsuccessful. Others[sup][who?][/sup] make the case in defense that the ******** name is intended to honor the bravery and dignity of Native Americans and that, regardless of past usage, the word ******** today refers to the football team. Notwithstanding the protests of activists, a 2002 poll commissioned by Sports Illustrated found that 75% of those Native Americans surveyed had no objection to the ******** name.[sup][53][/sup] The results of the poll have been criticized by Native American activists due to Sports Illustrated's refusal to provide polling information (i.e. how participants were recruited and contacted, if they were concentrated in one region, if one ethnic group is over represented and the exact wording and order of questions).[sup][54][/sup][sup][55][/sup] But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions.[sup][56][/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins#cite_note-55[/sup]

Back
Top Bottom