How is the quality of Ikea furniture? .....Is this a good TV?

I'm gonna be moving out real soon and want to start looking for furniture, I know Ikea seems to have good deals but I wonder what the quality of thefurniture is like as
far as sofas,tables,desks and other non-bedroom furniture.

Also I'm looking at copping this TV but no nothing about technical specs of televisions, I will mostly use it for my PS3 and just watching TV.

EC.SAM.HL50A650.CN.JPG

Product description
Samsung 50" Series 6 DLP HDTV
Features

Screen size: This DLP rear projection television has a 50" screen, measured diagonally from corner to corner. This screen size is perfect for viewing from6.3' to 12.5' away.

Resolution: A 1080p resolution means that this television has 1080 rows of pixels vertically. The more pixels a TV has, the clearer the images it can produce.The p stands for progressive scan, which means the TV refreshes every row of pixels during each cycle to produce smoother motion and sharper picture thaninterlaced scan.

NTSC tuner: A built-in NTSC tuner allows you to view standard analog television broadcasts through your television without a separate cable box.

ATSC tuner: The ATSC tuner means that you can enjoy over-the-air digital channels and theater quality audio (with a separate HD antenna) without the need for adigital antenna.

QAM tuner: The QAM tuner gives this TV the capability to receive free in-the-clear digital programming.

Aspect ratio: A width to height pixel ratio of 16:9 means this TV has a widescreen aspect ratio, which accurately recreates the dimensions in which HDprogramming and many feature films are shot

Inputs: Using the 3 available HDMI inputs, you can experience high definition audio and video up to 1080p, the highest possible resolution available. The 2component video inputs can be used for video resolution up to 1080i. Also available are 2 S-video inputs, 2 composite video inputs, 1 PC input, and 1 RF input.

SRS TruSurround XT audio: SRS TruSurround XT creates a 3D wall of sound that moves past the physical width of the TV so the listener no longer needs to sitdirectly in the middle of the couch to hear best audio effect. TruSurround XT also lifts dialogue out of the chaos of sound and provides deep bass.

Thanks again.

ikea furtniture may not have the best fit and finish, but as long as you dont abuse it, it should hold up

haha makes me think of Fight Club; I've only purchased a blanket at IKEA; though they got nice stuff.

I'd go with a LCD but those cost more so i guess depending on how much you got to spend.

Ikea furniture is CHEAP, I bought the expedit bookcase and it has no wood on the inside. Just a bunch of cardboard.
eyes.gif

Yea Ikea furniture is terrible man, you're better off on CL surfing through hoping to get lucky. Dope TV, but I would go a few inches down if you need toto get that LCD, seriously you'll end up loving it so much more.

Ikea stuff is good value - it's not the best quality but for the money it's great.

I have quite a bit in my home and in my office.

A lot of it comes down to how you put it together - get a decent set of long handle (and preferably ball end) Allen wrenches and some decent wood glue (for thewooden dowels) and take your time making sure it is all nice and square before tightening it up and it can be pretty good.

I've had some stuff for years that still looks great. If it's the unfinished wood stuff it's well worth giving it a good few coats of varnish asthat will keep it look good for much longer - and and spillages will just wipe off.

With reasonable care it will do you fine for just starting out though.

like most things you get what you pay for.... i bought a 6 drawer dresser a while ago... still works fine but if it breaks in a couple years i dont think ireally would care just replace it and keep it moving cuz it was so cheap to start out with...

THE WORST THING ABOUT BUYING THINGS FROM IKEA IS PUTTING IT TOGETHER!!!!!! DAMN INSTRUCTIONS DONT HAVE WORDS JUST RETARTED PICTURES

Originally Posted by wwsindicate

I'm gonna be moving out real soon and want to start looking for furniture, I know Ikea seems to have good deals but I wonder what the quality of the furniture is like as
far as sofas,tables,desks and other non-bedroom furniture.

Also I'm looking at copping this TV but no nothing about technical specs of televisions, I will mostly use it for my PS3 and just watching TV.

EC.SAM.HL50A650.CN.JPG

Product description
Samsung 50" Series 6 DLP HDTV
Features

Screen size: This DLP rear projection television has a 50" screen, measured diagonally from corner to corner. This screen size is perfect for viewing from 6.3' to 12.5' away.

Resolution: A 1080p resolution means that this television has 1080 rows of pixels vertically. The more pixels a TV has, the clearer the images it can produce. The p stands for progressive scan, which means the TV refreshes every row of pixels during each cycle to produce smoother motion and sharper picture than interlaced scan.

NTSC tuner: A built-in NTSC tuner allows you to view standard analog television broadcasts through your television without a separate cable box.

ATSC tuner: The ATSC tuner means that you can enjoy over-the-air digital channels and theater quality audio (with a separate HD antenna) without the need for a digital antenna.

QAM tuner: The QAM tuner gives this TV the capability to receive free in-the-clear digital programming.

Aspect ratio: A width to height pixel ratio of 16:9 means this TV has a widescreen aspect ratio, which accurately recreates the dimensions in which HD programming and many feature films are shot

Inputs: Using the 3 available HDMI inputs, you can experience high definition audio and video up to 1080p, the highest possible resolution available. The 2 component video inputs can be used for video resolution up to 1080i. Also available are 2 S-video inputs, 2 composite video inputs, 1 PC input, and 1 RF input.

SRS TruSurround XT audio: SRS TruSurround XT creates a 3D wall of sound that moves past the physical width of the TV so the listener no longer needs to sit directly in the middle of the couch to hear best audio effect. TruSurround XT also lifts dialogue out of the chaos of sound and provides deep bass.

Thanks again.

What else would you be using your tv for?

But as far as Ikea furniture goes its good quality but maybe its just me but everytime I put somethin of theirs together that has a door the doors are alwaysuneven

don't get the dlp, spend a little more and get a plasma or a lcd

quality of ikea furniture is very cheap

ikea furniture:

i have a dresser that my sisters bf and brothers put together. it's cool for now. but its very wobbly. i have plans of moving it in to my closet (walk in)so i can mount my flat screen (create more space in the bedroom) so all in all like everyone else said "you get what you pay for" but to be honest ireally don't know where you would get good quality furniture. dept stores: not such a good look because its not their specialty, furniture stores: not tosure of because how do you know who's the best with so many off brands? anyhow my suggestion is to go maybe to marlo's or something like that.

tv:

forget the dlp. go with a lcd 1080p. go smaller in your screen size esp if your just going to be gaming on it. how big is your room. because a 50' may notlook all that dope in a 4 by 4 room. jk. but you just want to make sure ur tv screen is proportionate to your room or else it might look silly.

You can find a lot of decent things at Ikea these days, you just have to selective.

my sisters bf and brothers put together... ... its very wobbly

See my post. If you put them together properly they are solid - it's just wood and screws like expensive furniture (obviously some stuff is made frompaper-thin chipboard but that's only the cheapest stuff).

I have several items from Ikea and they're good for what they are. They're things that you would buy for a dorm or an apartment, and when you move out,you would just leave the stuff there. If you were a home owner, I would look for things of higher quality.

Of all the stuff I own, including computer desk, chair, cabinets, portable closet, most of them are a pretty good fit. Some of the panels, ie the door to theportable closet had holes drilled off center so the door would not open correctly. I had to drill my own holes to correct the issue, was too lazy to drive backto Ikea to exhange the thing.

The rear projection technology is fading somewhat. Spend a little more for the LCD IMO. They last longer that Plasmas, use less energy and are less likely toget burn-in.

I have a lot of Ikea furniture, and it really depends on the item. I would stay away from their coffee tables and tables, but I have an Ikea couch, bed,shelving unit, floor lamp, and desk that I'm very happy with.

Thanks for the help, I was looking primarily for a sofa, maybe a coffee table, the couch will be used a lot, the coffee table not so much I don't think.

This is my first apartment but I'm not trying to go for a "dorm" or "first apartment" look with mismatching furniture.

Why is everyone saying I shouldn't get a DLP, can someone briefly explain the difference?

When I moved, I spent a whole day at Ikea looking for furniture, but as soon as I left, there was a Bob's Furniture store right down the street and theirprices and quality is wayyyy better than Ikea. Although the Ikea Malm bed frame in black is
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by buggz05

whats wrong with dlp??? I've heard dlp's are great for gaming.

no more DLP after 2009 ...limited market and research for them nowadays...behind the game in terms of options and picture

120 hz samsung 6/7 series + sony XBR4/5/6 + pioneer KURO >>>>>>>> NT mods' swag combined >>> dlp

Back
Top Bottom