How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

this dude went out and picked the only years MMA was on top and posted them
roll.gif

UFC 100 was tops in 2009 due to a stacked card. Based on the overall body of evidence boxing generates higher ratings than MMA:

2007:
- 2,400,000 – Oscar De Lay Hoya Vs Floyd Mayweather

- 850,000 – Floyd Mayweather Vs Ricky Hatton

- 760,000 WWE Wrestlemania: Vince McMahon Vs Donald Trump

2008:
1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000

2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000

3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul "Big Show" Wight, March 30, 670,000

2009:
1. UFC 100: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, July 11, 1.6 million

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto, Nov. 14, 1.25 million

3. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Sept. 19, 1.05 millon

2010:
1. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley, May 1, 1.4 million buys

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito, Nov. 13, 1,150,000 buys

3. UFC 116: Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, July 3, 1,100,000 buys

UFC 100 was tops in 2009 due to a stacked card. Based on the overall body of evidence boxing generates higher ratings than MMA:

2007:
- 2,400,000 – Oscar De Lay Hoya Vs Floyd Mayweather

- 850,000 – Floyd Mayweather Vs Ricky Hatton

- 760,000 WWE Wrestlemania: Vince McMahon Vs Donald Trump

2008:
1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000

2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000

3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul "Big Show" Wight, March 30, 670,000

2009:
1. UFC 100: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, July 11, 1.6 million

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto, Nov. 14, 1.25 million

3. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Sept. 19, 1.05 millon

2010:
1. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley, May 1, 1.4 million buys

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito, Nov. 13, 1,150,000 buys

3. UFC 116: Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, July 3, 1,100,000 buys

I think mma has reached near its peak in popularity already.  It'll probably stay where it is now.  I'm not buying into how some fans and dana white say it'll be one of the major American sports in the future.  You look at Japan and mma is rooted deep in their culture and their organizations are going bankrupt now and they're not filling up stadiums like they did in the past.  

I think mma has reached near its peak in popularity already.  It'll probably stay where it is now.  I'm not buying into how some fans and dana white say it'll be one of the major American sports in the future.  You look at Japan and mma is rooted deep in their culture and their organizations are going bankrupt now and they're not filling up stadiums like they did in the past.  

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Wow lots of ignorance in this thread. The reason you don't hear about MMA is because you don't care about it. Its all over ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, trending on Twitter. MLB just announced their all stars this year, you know what I don't care because I don't follow baseball. I don't recognize 90% of the names listed, but that was big news today. 
MMA doesn't  have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated. 

The reason why MMA is popular is not because its violent sport, its become part of a lifestyle for the younger generation. Go to any bar on Saturday Night televising the UFC and that place is packed. Go to any gym and those Body Combat and Kickboxing classes are packed. BJJ and Grappling gyms are over the place. Go to GNC, there's no more Arnold or Jay Cutler endorsements, everybody wants to look like GSP.  Sports Nutrition and dieting is bigger than ever. Its not just Met Rx and raw eggs anymore. Theres like a million supplement brands now, and everyone is associated with the UFC. You couldn't say that 10 yrs ago, because no one wanted to down protein shakes unless you were serious. Affliction and Tap Out shirts are sported by douches everywhere.

UFC can be bigger, they are on Spike TV and Versus, two of the worst cable outlets in the country.  If they every move to an Turner, Universal, or ESPN network, its going to be a wrap. And why can't they be on those network, because older conservatives like Chris Berman, Jim Lampley, Bob Ley, and **** Ebersol hate it. The same reason its not legalize in NY state, old folks in power are just being ignorant. There's an internal struggle in ESPN, producers want more UFC coverage because it draws ratings. While the higher ups can give two sh##s and instead show us nonstop coverage of the Womens world cup and WNBA. Something nobody is watching or even cares about.

Boxing still can make a comeback, but it needs to come together and become one brand/entity like the UFC with one person as the face of the organization. We live in a corporate world today, name branding is more important than the product itself. Boxing doesn't want to do that and its one of the major reasons why it hurts the sport. You have to make it simple with some lineage that casual fans can follow. Too many weigh classes with multiple champions in different promotions, it too confusing for people to follow. Imagine if college football dropped the bowl season and had no BCS title game. Thats what boxing is right now. 
MMA doesn't  have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated. 

Bro, please tell me ur joking....
So if we went to Mexico right now, more people would know who Cain Velasquez is than Wladimir Klitschko?

%****!

roll.gif

Cain is can't hold a damn torch to Saul Alvarez or JCC Jr..

I might even go as far as saying more of the Mexican public would know who Tomoki Kameda is than Cain.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Wow lots of ignorance in this thread. The reason you don't hear about MMA is because you don't care about it. Its all over ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, trending on Twitter. MLB just announced their all stars this year, you know what I don't care because I don't follow baseball. I don't recognize 90% of the names listed, but that was big news today. 

The reason why MMA is popular is not because its violent sport, its become part of a lifestyle for the younger generation. Go to any bar on Saturday Night televising the UFC and that place is packed. Go to any gym and those Body Combat and Kickboxing classes are packed. BJJ and Grappling gyms are over the place. Go to GNC, there's no more Arnold or Jay Cutler endorsements, everybody wants to look like GSP.  Sports Nutrition and dieting is bigger than ever. Its not just Met Rx and raw eggs anymore. Theres like a million supplement brands now, and everyone is associated with the UFC. You couldn't say that 10 yrs ago, because no one wanted to down protein shakes unless you were serious. Affliction and Tap Out shirts are sported by douches everywhere.

UFC can be bigger, they are on Spike TV and Versus, two of the worst cable outlets in the country.  If they every move to an Turner, Universal, or ESPN network, its going to be a wrap. And why can't they be on those network, because older conservatives like Chris Berman, Jim Lampley, Bob Ley, and **** Ebersol hate it. The same reason its not legalize in NY state, old folks in power are just being ignorant. There's an internal struggle in ESPN, producers want more UFC coverage because it draws ratings. While the higher ups can give two sh##s and instead show us nonstop coverage of the Womens world cup and WNBA. Something nobody is watching or even cares about.

Boxing still can make a comeback, but it needs to come together and become one brand/entity like the UFC with one person as the face of the organization. We live in a corporate world today, name branding is more important than the product itself. Boxing doesn't want to do that and its one of the major reasons why it hurts the sport. You have to make it simple with some lineage that casual fans can follow. Too many weigh classes with multiple champions in different promotions, it too confusing for people to follow. Imagine if college football dropped the bowl season and had no BCS title game. Thats what boxing is right now. 

Bro, please tell me ur joking....
So if we went to Mexico right now, more people would know who Cain Velasquez is than Wladimir Klitschko?

%****!

roll.gif

Cain is can't hold a damn torch to Saul Alvarez or JCC Jr..

I might even go as far as saying more of the Mexican public would know who Tomoki Kameda is than Cain.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Now I know FOR SURE dude's either trollin or really reaching to make UFC look superior.

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Now I know FOR SURE dude's either trollin or really reaching to make UFC look superior.

Professional fighting in general is lame, I don't see the allure of two men beating the crap out of each other.

Professional fighting in general is lame, I don't see the allure of two men beating the crap out of each other.

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

MMA fanboys going real hard
laugh.gif

Boxing > MMA

Id rather watch two men square up throw hands then watch a couple dudes kick each other and roll around on the ground in sweet embrace.

roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

MMA fanboys going real hard
laugh.gif

Boxing > MMA

Id rather watch two men square up throw hands then watch a couple dudes kick each other and roll around on the ground in sweet embrace.

and it's a cable television network vs a premium network, gotta do better than that my man

and it's a cable television network vs a premium network, gotta do better than that my man

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

When a MMA fighter nets $100 million in a year or can purse $30 million plus for 1 fight.

this is a HORRRIBLE argument... Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are the top 2 american sports earners

does that mean golf has surpassed... well any of the major sports?

You clearly missed my point, I'm not surprised. MMA will NEVER reach the earning power of boxing. The fighters in MMA will NEVER reach the status of any prize fighter. That my friend are the only two things that matter in a sport when you look at the bottom line.

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

When a MMA fighter nets $100 million in a year or can purse $30 million plus for 1 fight.

this is a HORRRIBLE argument... Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are the top 2 american sports earners

does that mean golf has surpassed... well any of the major sports?

You clearly missed my point, I'm not surprised. MMA will NEVER reach the earning power of boxing. The fighters in MMA will NEVER reach the status of any prize fighter. That my friend are the only two things that matter in a sport when you look at the bottom line.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by ludex360

mma is still a very young sport in america and boxing has been around for ever so of course boxing has more fans. wait ten years and we'll be talking about anderson silvia like we do mike tyson.
Slow your roll.
laugh.gif
They already talk about Silva being the best fighter in the world I don't know why he has to slow his roll... People can laugh all they want but Bruce Lee is considered by many as the best fighter of all time and he was a mixed martial artist.

Hopefully not. Then MMA would've turned into what boxing is today. If match ups need to be made in MMA they will for the most part be made with no controversy.
James Toney didn't think those embraces were so sweet considering he tapped. I think if you're not a fan of both sports people should comment because then we get answers like this. There's more to grappling than rolling around and embracing.

mma is still a very young sport in america and boxing has been around for ever so of course boxing has more fans. wait ten years and we'll be talking about anderson silvia like we do mike tyson.
Slow your roll.
laugh.gif
They already talk about Silva being the best fighter in the world I don't know why he has to slow his roll... People can laugh all they want but Bruce Lee is considered by many as the best fighter of all time and he was a mixed martial artist.

Hopefully not. Then MMA would've turned into what boxing is today. If match ups need to be made in MMA they will for the most part be made with no controversy.
James Toney didn't think those embraces were so sweet considering he tapped. I think if you're not a fan of both sports people should comment because then we get answers like this. There's more to grappling than rolling around and embracing.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Slow your roll.
laugh.gif

If u honestly think James Toney was in there to actually compete then u must be outta ur mind son...
He was in there for a paycheck, nothing more.

His guaranteed purse for the Couture fight was $400k-$500k, and even James knew he was gonna lose.

roll.gif

It was all apart of Danas plan to make UFC LOOK superior to Boxing.

Didn't work for the knowledgeable fans I can tell you that much.

Back
Top Bottom