How long before MMA over takes boxing in the sports landscape?

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by ludex360

mma is still a very young sport in america and boxing has been around for ever so of course boxing has more fans. wait ten years and we'll be talking about anderson silvia like we do mike tyson.
Slow your roll.
laugh.gif
They already talk about Silva being the best fighter in the world I don't know why he has to slow his roll... People can laugh all they want but Bruce Lee is considered by many as the best fighter of all time and he was a mixed martial artist.

You clearly missed my point, I'm not surprised. MMA will NEVER reach the earning power of boxing. The fighters in MMA will NEVER reach the status of any prize fighter. That my friend are the only two things that matter in a sport when you look at the bottom line.
Hopefully not. Then MMA would've turned into what boxing is today. If match ups need to be made in MMA they will for the most part be made with no controversy.
Id rather watch two men square up throw hands then watch a couple dudes kick each other and roll around on the ground in sweet embrace.
James Toney didn't think those embraces were so sweet considering he tapped. I think if you're not a fan of both sports people should comment because then we get answers like this. There's more to grappling than rolling around and embracing.

If u honestly think James Toney was in there to actually compete then u must be outta ur mind son...
He was in there for a paycheck, nothing more.

His guaranteed purse for the Couture fight was $400k-$500k, and even James knew he was gonna lose.

roll.gif

It was all apart of Danas plan to make UFC LOOK superior to Boxing.

Didn't work for the knowledgeable fans I can tell you that much.

You completely missed the point... The point was that he was downplaying and mocking ground fighting when those "sweet embraces" are far from sweet embraces...

You completely missed the point... The point was that he was downplaying and mocking ground fighting when those "sweet embraces" are far from sweet embraces...

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Wow lots of ignorance in this thread. The reason you don't hear about MMA is because you don't care about it. Its all over ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, trending on Twitter. MLB just announced their all stars this year, you know what I don't care because I don't follow baseball. I don't recognize 90% of the names listed, but that was big news today. 
And boxing has a weekly show on ESPN2, but maybe people in here don't care therefore don't hear about it.

MMA doesn't  have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated. 

Thats one division, I can just as easily say everyone knows who boxing's Lightweight champion Marquez than know who Frankie Edgar is. Marquez vs Mayweather had 1 million buys Same between GSP and Pacquiao in the Welterweight class.

Boxing still can make a comeback, but it needs to come together and become one brand/entity like the UFC with one person as the face of the organization. We live in a corporate world today, name branding is more important than the product itself. Boxing doesn't want to do that and its one of the major reasons why it hurts the sport. You have to make it simple with some lineage that casual fans can follow. Too many weigh classes with multiple champions in different promotions, it too confusing for people to follow. Imagine if college football dropped the bowl season and had no BCS title game. Thats what boxing is right now.
[color= rgb(0, 255, 0)]Agreed[/color]

Id rather watch two men square up throw hands then watch a couple dudes kick each other and roll around on the ground in sweet embrace.
James Toney didn't think those embraces were so sweet considering he tapped. I think if you're not a fan of both sports people should comment because then we get answers like this. There's more to grappling than rolling around and embracing.
Yeah,and have to realize there is a lot of boxing in MMA (see Diaz)

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Wow lots of ignorance in this thread. The reason you don't hear about MMA is because you don't care about it. Its all over ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, trending on Twitter. MLB just announced their all stars this year, you know what I don't care because I don't follow baseball. I don't recognize 90% of the names listed, but that was big news today. 
And boxing has a weekly show on ESPN2, but maybe people in here don't care therefore don't hear about it.

MMA doesn't  have high profile names? Come on dude, go out on the street and I can guarantee you, more people know who the UFC HW champion is than Boxings HW champ. Hell, people don't even know there are two Klitschkos and that they are both the HW champions in boxing. Cain Velasquez is going to be a big deal, the Mexican market is very underrated. 

Thats one division, I can just as easily say everyone knows who boxing's Lightweight champion Marquez than know who Frankie Edgar is. Marquez vs Mayweather had 1 million buys Same between GSP and Pacquiao in the Welterweight class.

Boxing still can make a comeback, but it needs to come together and become one brand/entity like the UFC with one person as the face of the organization. We live in a corporate world today, name branding is more important than the product itself. Boxing doesn't want to do that and its one of the major reasons why it hurts the sport. You have to make it simple with some lineage that casual fans can follow. Too many weigh classes with multiple champions in different promotions, it too confusing for people to follow. Imagine if college football dropped the bowl season and had no BCS title game. Thats what boxing is right now.
[color= rgb(0, 255, 0)]Agreed[/color]

Yeah,and have to realize there is a lot of boxing in MMA (see Diaz)

Yup, Faber, Edgar, and BJ have some great boxing for MMA as well. It's dumb to compare MMA to boxing. It's like comparing a UFC event to an ADCC, or a boxing event to a K1 event. Completely different sports.

Yup, Faber, Edgar, and BJ have some great boxing for MMA as well. It's dumb to compare MMA to boxing. It's like comparing a UFC event to an ADCC, or a boxing event to a K1 event. Completely different sports.

That's what I don't understand.
Why can't people just let MMA and Boxing co-exist with each other.

Instead of stupid $%# threads like this one.

They're two completely different things.

Cuz whenever people make threads like this it just makes it seem as if they're threatened by one another.

It's like they're fans of one sports WANTING the other sport to fail, which is just ridiculous. 

Cuz whenever people make threads like this it just makes it seem as if they're threatened by one another.

It's like they're fans of one sports WANTING the other sport to fail, which is just ridiculous. 

Originally Posted by thacapt

Because mainstream fans of any combat sports are ignorant to what is actually going on, even in a sport like boxing that's been around for a long time. As long as they see two people slugging it out, they're gonna think it's the same thing. We can either choose to ignore it or try and educate people on it. Hard to really educate people through a message board though.

Because mainstream fans of any combat sports are ignorant to what is actually going on, even in a sport like boxing that's been around for a long time. As long as they see two people slugging it out, they're gonna think it's the same thing. We can either choose to ignore it or try and educate people on it. Hard to really educate people through a message board though.

MMA and boxing do co-exist.  The same way football and hockey co-exist.  But it's obvious in the hierarchy of American sports that football is greater than hockey. 

My original question had nothing to do with the sports themselves.  It had to do with America's perceptions of the sports as far as relevance in the mainstream.  If someone feels the styles the two sports use plays a role in that, than that's their prerogative to argue that point.  The same way others factor in PPV buys and societal change.

Now the thread's stupid because people don't agree on one answer?  It's called debate.  I don't think anyone wants one sport or the other to fail.  I do agree some people become overzealous when they've chosen a side, but that comes with any debate.

MMA and boxing do co-exist.  The same way football and hockey co-exist.  But it's obvious in the hierarchy of American sports that football is greater than hockey. 

My original question had nothing to do with the sports themselves.  It had to do with America's perceptions of the sports as far as relevance in the mainstream.  If someone feels the styles the two sports use plays a role in that, than that's their prerogative to argue that point.  The same way others factor in PPV buys and societal change.

Now the thread's stupid because people don't agree on one answer?  It's called debate.  I don't think anyone wants one sport or the other to fail.  I do agree some people become overzealous when they've chosen a side, but that comes with any debate.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

UFC 100 was tops in 2009 due to a stacked card. Based on the overall body of evidence boxing generates higher ratings than MMA:

2007:
- 2,400,000 – Oscar De Lay Hoya Vs Floyd Mayweather

- 850,000 – Floyd Mayweather Vs Ricky Hatton

- 760,000 WWE Wrestlemania: Vince McMahon Vs Donald Trump

2008:
1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000

2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000

3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul "Big Show" Wight, March 30, 670,000

2009:
1. UFC 100: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, July 11, 1.6 million

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto, Nov. 14, 1.25 million

3. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Sept. 19, 1.05 millon

2010:

1. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather vs. Shane Mosley, May 1, 1.4 million buys

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Antonio Margarito, Nov. 13, 1,150,000 buys

3. UFC 116: Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin, July 3, 1,100,000 buys

Interesting how you only post the top 3

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2010

4. UFC 114: Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans, May 29, 1,050,000 buys

5. UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez, Oct. 23, 1,000,000 buys

6. UFC 124: Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck, Dec. 11, 785,000 buys

7. UFC 111: St. Pierre vs. Dan Hardy, March 27, 770,000 buys

8. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey, March 13, 700,000 buys

9. UFC 107: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, Aug. 7, 600,000 buys

10. UFC 118: Frank Edgar vs. B.J. Penn/Randy Couture vs. James Toney, 535,000 buys

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2009

4. UFC 94: Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn, Jan. 31, 920,000 buys

5. UFC 101: Penn vs. Kenny Florian/Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, Aug. 8, 850,000

6. Boxing: Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton, May 2, 825,000

T7. UFC 107: Penn vs. Diego Sanchez, Dec. 12, 650,000

T7. UFC 97: Silva vs. Thales Leites/Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua, April 18, 650,000

9. UFC 98: Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans/Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra, May 23, 635,000

10. Wrestling: WWE WrestleMania 25, April 5, 582,000 buys

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2008

3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul "Big Show" Wight, March 30, 670,000

4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch/Lesnar vs. Heath Herring, Aug. 9, 625,000

5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000

6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000

7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000

8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000

9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000

10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000

More people still watch MMA per year. Keep lying to yourself though.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

UFC 100 was tops in 2009 due to a stacked card. Based on the overall body of evidence boxing generates higher ratings than MMA:

2007:
- 2,400,000 – Oscar De Lay Hoya Vs Floyd Mayweather

- 850,000 – Floyd Mayweather Vs Ricky Hatton

- 760,000 WWE Wrestlemania: Vince McMahon Vs Donald Trump

2008:

2009:

2010:

Interesting how you only post the top 3

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2010

4. UFC 114: Quinton Jackson vs. Rashad Evans, May 29, 1,050,000 buys

5. UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez, Oct. 23, 1,000,000 buys

6. UFC 124: Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck, Dec. 11, 785,000 buys

7. UFC 111: St. Pierre vs. Dan Hardy, March 27, 770,000 buys

8. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey, March 13, 700,000 buys

9. UFC 107: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, Aug. 7, 600,000 buys

10. UFC 118: Frank Edgar vs. B.J. Penn/Randy Couture vs. James Toney, 535,000 buys

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2009

4. UFC 94: Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn, Jan. 31, 920,000 buys

5. UFC 101: Penn vs. Kenny Florian/Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, Aug. 8, 850,000

6. Boxing: Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton, May 2, 825,000

T7. UFC 107: Penn vs. Diego Sanchez, Dec. 12, 650,000

T7. UFC 97: Silva vs. Thales Leites/Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua, April 18, 650,000

9. UFC 98: Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans/Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra, May 23, 635,000

10. Wrestling: WWE WrestleMania 25, April 5, 582,000 buys

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2008

4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch/Lesnar vs. Heath Herring, Aug. 9, 625,000

5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000

6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000

7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000

8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000

9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000

10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000

More people still watch MMA per year. Keep lying to yourself though.

3rd and final time, UFC produces more PPVS so of course it will have more overall viewers. It's like comparing baseball attendance records to football. Aside from  2009, boxing has the top draw If boxing had a single promotion, then they could churn out a dozen ppv vents a year. Luckily for fans, Golden boy and Top Rank have many of their fights on premium cable

3rd and final time, UFC produces more PPVS so of course it will have more overall viewers. It's like comparing baseball attendance records to football. Aside from  2009, boxing has the top draw If boxing had a single promotion, then they could churn out a dozen ppv vents a year. Luckily for fans, Golden boy and Top Rank have many of their fights on premium cable

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

that's because all they have is manny and floyd

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

that's because all they have is manny and floyd

the biassed claims here are wild and entertaining
laugh.gif

imo to the general public boxing is the bigger sport. and from a spectator prespective its more entertaining to watch even though mma is obviously more applicable to real life scenarios. i respect the skill and art of grappling and fighting on the ground like i appreciate the skills of hitting and pitching in baseball (which i turned my fan card in for years ago,) but watching 2 fighters jostle and work for leverage on the ground is boring as hell for a casual spectator.

the biassed claims here are wild and entertaining
laugh.gif

imo to the general public boxing is the bigger sport. and from a spectator prespective its more entertaining to watch even though mma is obviously more applicable to real life scenarios. i respect the skill and art of grappling and fighting on the ground like i appreciate the skills of hitting and pitching in baseball (which i turned my fan card in for years ago,) but watching 2 fighters jostle and work for leverage on the ground is boring as hell for a casual spectator.

Originally Posted by daprescription

I don't understand why people just can't enjoy these sports. I'm a fan of both and have been for a while.

Don't reasonably introduce logic and understanding in this thread. Don't you know you have to take a side and defend it with all your life.

Originally Posted by daprescription

I don't understand why people just can't enjoy these sports. I'm a fan of both and have been for a while.

Don't reasonably introduce logic and understanding in this thread. Don't you know you have to take a side and defend it with all your life.

Back
Top Bottom