How Mice Turned Their Private Paradise Into A Terrifying Dystopia

[h1]How Mice Turned Their Private Paradise Into A Terrifying Dystopia[/h1]
http://io9.com/how-rats-turned-their-private-paradise-into-a-terrifyin-1687584457

mwrvghpkchaxjipb8dwm.jpg

In 1972, animal behaviorist John Calhoun built a mouse paradise with beautiful buildings and limitless food. He introduced eight mice to the population. Two years later, the mice had created their own apocalypse. Here's why.

Universe 25 was a giant box designed to be a rodent utopia. The trouble was, this utopia did not have a benevolent creator. John B. Calhoun had designed quite a few mouse environments before he got to the 25th one, and didn't expect to be watching a happy story. Divided into "main squares" and then subdivided into levels, with ramps going up to "apartments," the place looked great, and was always kept stocked with food, but its inhabitants were doomed from the get-go.

Universe 25 started out with eight mice, four males and four females. By day 560, the mouse population reached 2,200, and then steadily declined back down to unrecoverable extinction. At the peak population, most mice spent every living second in the company of hundreds of other mice. They gathered in the main squares, waiting to be fed and occasionally attacking each other. Few females carried pregnancies to term, and the ones that did seemed to simply forget about their babies. They'd move half their litter away from danger and forget the rest. Sometimes they'd drop and abandon a baby while they were carrying it.

The few secluded spaces housed a population Calhoun called, "the beautiful ones." Generally guarded by one male, the females—- and few males — inside the space didn't breed or fight or do anything but eat and groom and sleep. When the population started declining the beautiful ones were spared from violence and death, but had completely lost touch with social behaviors, including having sex or caring for their young.

In 1972, with the baby boomers coming of age in a ever-more-crowded world and reports of riots in the cities, Universe 25 looked like a Malthusian nightmare. It even acquired its own catchy name, "The Behavioral Sink." If starvation didn't kill everyone, people would destroy themselves. The best option was to flee to the country or the suburbs, where people had space and life was peaceful and natural.

Today, the experiment remains frightening, but the nature of the fear has changed. A recent study pointed out that Universe 25 was not, if looked at as a whole, too overcrowded. Pens, or "apartments" at the very end of each hallway had only one entrance and exit, making them easy to guard. This allowed more aggressive territorial males to limit the number mice in that pen, overcrowding the rest of the world, while isolating the few "beautiful ones" who lived there from normal society. Instead of a population problem, one could argue that Universe 25 had a fair distribution problem.

The fact remains that it had a problem, and one that eventually led to its destruction. If this behavior is shared by both mice and humans, can we escape Universe 25's fate?

further reading

http://www.edmondschools.net/portals/3/docs/terri_mcgill/read-crowding.pdf

http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/42/wiles.php

Very interesting. Great post.

Sounds like the suburbs and country are the last remanence of peace and possibility. Universe 25 sounds an awful lot like China and India. And then we have our 1%, that's out of touch, lost humanity, empathy, etc. Separation between the 'high' and 'low' class. Also with no natural predator, things get interesting.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Great post.

Sounds like the suburbs and country are the last remanence of peace and possibility. Universe 25 sounds an awful lot like China and India. And then we have our 1%, that's out of touch, lost humanity, empathy, etc. Separation between the 'high' and 'low' class. Also with no natural predator, things get interesting.
I'm unfamiliar with Asian culture of today. Do tell.
Is misanthropy ultimately a reasonable ideology?
Sometimes it seems that way.

isn't a utopia ultimately boring?

There needs to be something else to do, to work towards. The mice aren't going to start composing music, making art, sports etc so of course it would turn to chaos eventually

There needs to be something else to do, to work towards. The mice aren't going to start composing music, making art, sports etc so of course it would turn to chaos eventually
I swear I don't get people. Problems are fun? Stress free living is the dream. The universe is abundant and yet "they" hoard. Life is easy but somehow humans complicate things.

I swear I don't get people. Problems are fun? Stress free living is the dream. The universe is abundant and yet "they" hoard. Life is easy but somehow humans complicate things.

I didn't mention problems at all. I said goals, activities, hobbies are needed. Sit in a room for a year with unlimited food and nothing to do and you'll lose your mind.

basically what Im trying to say is you need "meaning" in life.

I didn't mention problems at all. I said goals, activities, hobbies are needed. Sit in a room for a year with unlimited food and nothing to do and you'll lose your mind.

If I sat in a room all year with unlimited food I'd pretend I was Goku goin to fight Frieza. I'd come out that ***** diced and ready go Super Saiyan when I watched as my noseless best friend was murdered by an intergalactic warlord.

All jokes aside.

I prolly misunderstood your initial statement. I know some ****** in the head people who have good lives but insist on ******* it off. My job exposes me to abnormal levels of poverty on the reg so I'm perplexed when people don't appreciate nice things. But I think I see what you're getting at.

We need stuff to stimulate us. For some reason I think of the movie and book 1984, same routine everyday.

Last edited:
Since when did a utopian society mean having no goals and mentally-stimulating things to do?

I can guarantee you all the starving people in the world would LOVE a utopian society. To have basic needs met so that higher needs can be fulfilled (Maslow's hierarchy of needs) is what utopian societies go after.

Since when did a utopian society mean having no goals and mentally-stimulating things to do?

I can guarantee you all the starving people in the world would LOVE a utopian society. To have basic needs met so that higher needs can be fulfilled (Maslow's hierarchy of needs) is what utopian societies go after.
Maslow's hierarchy of needs I'm gonna read up on this. Never heard of it but sounds promising.

Please tell me you're still in middle school? I thought maslows hierarchy of needs was taught at a very early age in most schools. maybe I'm wrong

View media item 1432614

View media item 1408331

Maslow's hierarchy of needs I'm gonna read up on this. Never heard of it but sounds promising.

Please tell me you're still in middle school? I thought maslows hierarchy of needs was taught at a very early age in most schools. maybe I'm wrong

I thought the same, psych and business courses but yea, definitely look into it. It's a pretty simple theory.

While you're at it, look into Hofstede's cultural dimensions theory as well. Will give a decent idea of some trends and themes you may see in society.

View media item 1432614

View media item 1408331

High school psychology class?

I think it depends on how you define utopian. Giving third world people basic needs isn't quite what the guy tried to do with the mice.

I don't think my middle school taught it. I remember it from my college marketing class and maybe one of my psychology classes.

I don't think my middle school taught it. I remember it from my college marketing class and maybe one of my psychology classes.
Yeah. College psychology and marketing as well. And I went to a private schools when I was younger

Here's the thing, we're not mice :stoneface:

This sounds like some ish to get ppl believing they need some type of authority figure to maintain order and balance :smh:

Last edited:

This sounds like some ish to get ppl believing they need some type of authority figure to maintain order and balance :smh:

Did you read it? :nerd: that not what its about at all.

The paradise turned to hell because it became too overcrowded which caused the mice to change thier natural behavior which led to their downfall.

Its simply showing what lack of space will do, not trying to create order or balance or stimulating ideas

it does correlate in someways to us as humans because we also change our behavior when we are confined in areas that are overcrowded. The difference is our behavior in those situations varies when the people we are around are familiar or strangers, and how comfortable we are in social situations

Really Calhoun's main point was to show that if the world become too overpopulated, we might turn on ourselves and cause our own demise long before we ran out of food and resources

--

anyway thanks op, really interesting article :nthat:

Last edited:
I did. How does the behavior of mice correlate to human beings? I must've missed the part where he explained that.

You give people too much credit. In s perfect world you don't need it but the worlds not perfect. Before you know it the person who gets guns first will become a warlord and start terrorizing people

Back
Top Bottom