If Rihanna keeps up the current pace, will she go down as one of the GOATs?

I'm talking like Prince, MJ, James Brown, Whitney, etc.

Rihanna just tied Madonna for #1 singles. She making it look like it's easy for her to drop hit singles right now. We Found Love, Diamonds, Pour It Up :smokin

She drops a new album every single year with major hits.

According to Billboard, Rihanna now trails only the Beatles (20 #1s), Mariah Carey (18) and Michael Jackson (13 solo #1s) for the most Hot 100 chart toppers of all time, and, given that she's just 24 — and seemingly releases a new album every year — well, we think she's got a pretty realistic shot at overtaking all of them.

Get a first-hand account of what went down on Rihanna's 777 tour

Rihanna also became the fastest female solo artist to accumulate 12 #1 singles, reaching the mark in six years and seven months ... that number trails only the Beatles (two years, four months) and the Supremes (five years, four months).

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1697792/rihanna-madonna-number-one-singles.jhtml

i dont think they will accept her due to her ratchet act eventually folks gonna get tired of it

Numbers don't mean everything. Rihanna is like 7-8 albums in and still can't properly sing live onstage.

You can choose to look at her number 1s and group her with those legends but I believe that is completely foolish.

roll.gif

Her only being in her early 20's and already being a staple in pop music around the world, already having all those hits . . . I will definitely say she will reach a certain plateau of artist within the next 10 years . . .

I don't see what's funny. She's 24 with 7 albums and is showing no signs of slowing down or becoming irrelevant.

I think she's gonna go down as one of the best ever, not the best but one of the best if she keeps up this pace. I'm talking about from at least now until she is 30, which is another 6 years.

Last edited:
britney spears, yes, janet possibly, madonna, a long shot

I just don't see Rhianna's music having the staying power as those women.

She's not incredibly talented vocally(albeit more so than Britney) , and performance wise she doesn't hold a candle to Janet and Madonna

as far as the others you mentioned, it's not even close, her music is too generic to compete with those guys

it's all just stock, there is no personal connection or feel to any of it in the form of songwriting and input.

Last edited:
No not in MJ, Prince, James Brown, or Whitney's class. She could be mentioned along the Madonna's, Janet Jackson's, and Britney's though.

Would definitely agree with this post. Shawty only 24 I believe? She's running the game right now.

Only puzzling thing is she only does 150,000+ first week when she releases a record. I'm confused by that because she is the face of Pop right now.

Madonna is on another level, she can't be compared. 

Rihanna could be the next urban Britney Spears. I say that because musically they are similar. Rihanna does not write or produce any of her hit songs. She's ur typical pop princess. 

I don't think of any current stars are timeless. Jay in my opinion is the last one.

Meaning, 20 years from now, I can't think of any current artist other than Jay that I'd play for my kids and say "this what I played when I was young."

An Eminem too.

Last edited:
I looked up her album sales, and I was kinda shocked of her success.
She's sold a little under 25 million ablums :x
Thats about a mill under Jay-Z, more than Kanye, more than Wayne if Wiki is to be believed.

Last edited:
I'd honestly put Janet in the same league as her brother, to be honest.

Rihanna is definitely in the group with Britney Spears, Usher, Beyonce, etc.

And Beyonce and Usher are almost creating a league themselves that's on the cusp of MJ and em.

She'll probably hold the record for most #1's for a good bit of time though. Although, her reign seems to be letting up.

kanye > jay and it's not even close. 20 years from now. 
Kanye definitely influenced rap trends more than Jay ever has . . .

While it's debatable who's body of work is better . . . it's FACT that dudes like Drake, Cudi, Wale, hell even Lupe would not even have a lane if Kanye wasn't successful in being the non-thug.

It's almost the norm now for rappers to wear tight clothes, and come out as an "anti thug".

Not even mentioning the resurgence of soul sound, the soundscape of rap turning more towards the pop/brighter side after Graduation and 808s came out . . .

Hell look at the high fashion tip the game is on right now, a result of Ye name dropping and repping certain brands hard (90's cats please stay away with your "so-and-so repped Hilfiger and Versace and Polo" replies I see coming from miles away, not the same)

Ye definitely will have more of an effect on the culture 20 years from now than Jay did.

While it's debatable who's body of work is better . . . it's FACT that dudes like Drake, Cudi, Wale, hell even Lupe would not even have a lane if Kanye wasn't successful in being the non-thug.

It's almost the norm now for rappers to wear tight clothes, and come out as an "anti thug".

Not even mentioning the resurgence of soul sound, the soundscape of rap turning more towards the pop/brighter side after Graduation and 808s came out . . .

Hell look at the high fashion tip the game is on right now, a result of Ye name dropping and repping certain brands hard (90's cats please stay away with your "so-and-so repped Hilfiger and Versace and Polo" replies I see coming from miles away, not the same)

Ye definitely will have more of an effect on the culture 20 years from now than Jay did.
Kanye wouldn't even have a road, let alone a lane, to ride on if it wasn't for the people before him, such as

No I.D., Juice, RhymeFest, Vakill & Hova, just to name a few

And actually mostly No I.D. who he bit his whole style from
mean.gif

Kanye wouldn't even have a road, let alone a lane, to ride on if it wasn't for the people before him, such as

No I.D., Juice, RhymeFest, Vakill & Hova, just to name a few

And actually mostly No I.D. who he bit his whole style from
mean.gif
So No I.D., Juice, RhymeFest, Vakill and Hova are the reasons why Drake can go platinum talking about being vulnerable with women? Or Cudi can be successful about being depressed?

Basically what I'm getting at is that Ye made it acceptable in the rap community to appear weak sometimes. And not have to be on some thug **** to get a deal on a rap label.

Back
Top Bottom