If there was a WET...

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

whether you like the rappers or not isn't the point...point is there is a market for it and BET is out to make money not "save us"

Exactly, people acting like its the Dr. King's Dream channel. They aren't showing anything worst than the garbage on other channels.

"It's only entertainment!" Hov

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO! I wouldn't be bothered by the name or slogan... but at this point, I'd be bothered by the fact that it'd be created out of spite.

When, as 360 mentioned... there are hundreds of "White Entertainment" networks.

DF!!!

Thread/

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO!
No, I wouldn't trip at all. I just find it comical that in 2008, a channel like BET, which kinda suggests inequality, still thrives. Yet if there were to be a launch of a channel FOR whites, there would be an outrage.
But keep in mind, the time and climate of when BET was created. 1979... you wasn't Michael Jackson, you got no love on any other network. The network has been important for Black music. It's obviously not the network it once was... but, honestly, none of them are.

It's silly to stretch the meaning and intention of things such as a BET or a Black History Month. There are so many "privileges" that the majority is afforded simply due to being born the race that they are. To cry over a few things in which their inclusion is not mandated comes off as incredibly silly and trivial.

DF!!!
couldn't have said it any better.

Pretty much.

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

wheres my AET? (asian entertainment television)

Word
grin.gif

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

Originally Posted by Club29

Didnt the Hughleys and the Cosby Show and Good Times and Sanford & Son and the Jeffersons all air on so-called "white" networks?
Psssh, you act like those shows are on par with the quality programming that BET puts out...

Honestly, what do people want from these so-called "white entertainment television" stations?

They've given a show to damn near every black comedian over the past two decades who wants one: Bill Cosby, D.L. Hughley, Steve Harvey, Thea Vidale, Martin Lawrence, every Wayans brother that you can think of...

This is, of course, in addition to family shows that appealed to a black audience in general, such as Roc, Family Matters, Sister Sister, Fresh Prince, Everybody Hates Chris... I mean, %!%!, they even gave BRANDY her own show.

Yes, the majority of the programming on the major networks is "white", but, if those stations don't have enough "black" shows to suit some of your likings, it's certainly not for lack of effort.
There you go. BET was supposed to have a lineup that was determined by black management. The black presence in Hollywood is VERY weak. WET wouldbe redundant, probably very comical.

Considering that BET is owned by Viacom...I would say that this was a pretty dumassthread from its inception.

Come on fam.

WET might have some quality programming :
pimp.gif

EDIT- there is an asian app channel. forgot wat its called though

Originally Posted by infamousod

CMT is the one that really comes to mind

and "WET" would fail horribly because nobody wants to be white, everyone wants to be black...unless they had a WET: Uncut which would have a 90% black audience and ratings would skyrocket

i want to be white
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by IM A HELION

I honestly don't think I would, iBlink...BET makes me sick. All it exists for is to perpetuate stereotypes about black people, and some people of other races think that's how all of us act.

WET? White Star Power? I say create it, and watch all the hypocritical people of our race catch feelings.
//hread

Let me ask you this...

AFRICANPRIDE-HC-HGMG5-5.jpg

If "white people" made a hair product named European Pride. And it gave "white people" instant skinheads in the same way that these biased "black" greases gave negroesthose radical "black-power" afro hairstyles...would you guys be ok with that?
nerd.gif

The hypocrisy disgusts me. How are blacks ever going to overcome the shackles of poverty and unequal education if we continue to allow vicious double standardslike this?
smh.gif
Hair grease names and music video channels are at the root of theAfrican-American dilemma....We were on the right path in the early years of the last century...conking our hair, wearing bowties and doing polite jigs inpublic. Then we started trying to establish a new collective group identity and attempting to self-determined
tired.gif
. Thats when all the problems began
mad.gif

^ Im saying

Seriously, Not condoning what BET is currently ( pure trash and owned/Operated by WHITE PEOPLE) is different from not condoning a Black Television Channel initself.

I do not think BET benefits Black people, but i definitely see a need for a Television Channel that can cater to African-American writers, producers, actors,actresses who arent getting those same breaks on NBC, ABC, CBS or other major TV Channels.

I honestly could type/talk until my fingers start bleeding, but no one would listen. id be fighting against a deep hatred of Blacks and a denial of ourtreatment throughout history.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

YO!
We were on the right path in the early years of the last century...conking our hair, wearing bowties and doing polite jigs in public. Then we started trying to establish a new collective group identity and attempting to self-determined
tired.gif
. Thats when all the problems began
mad.gif

smile.gif

DF!!!

Originally Posted by jordanpheen

All those channels you guys listed do not serve the same purpose that BET does for blacks.
care to explain your opinion in detail???
eyes.gif
nerd.gif
Roll your eyes all you want.

It's 2008...how many times does BET need to make it clear that there channel is for the empowerment of black people? How exactly are they empowering us? Like I said in my original post, all it does is make us all look like uncultured fools. And since it's owned by Viacom, all the shows are damn near blatant rip offs from channels like VH1 and MTV.

You don't see MTV being all racially exclusive to the extent that BET takes it. If MTV or VH1 put "white" in front of everything that they did, they'd be accused of being racist...but BET gets a pass because it's for black people.

Shall I go on? Or is that enough detail for you, good sir?
no hate but you're kind of over thinking it and going about it the wrong way imo

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

like dude said, for WET, just check out all of the OTHER 199 channels your cable provides....
just like people who complain about black history month...
"we don't have a white history month..."
well, duh, idiot...
Just to refrest your memory & other people making comments about all the white TV stations...

The U.S. population's distribution by race and ethnicity in 2006 was as follows:[sup][22][/sup][sup][23][/sup]

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

like dude said, for WET, just check out all of the OTHER 199 channels your cable provides....
well, duh, idiot...
Just to refrest your memory & other people making comments about all the white TV stations...

The U.S. population's distribution by race and ethnicity in 2006 was as follows:[sup][22][/sup][sup][23][/sup]

By that logic 13.4 % of television should be directed at black audiences.

Once again, missing the point.

Originally Posted by raptors29

As Blacks, we don't need BET.

LOL!!! and for real... whats the deal with the stuff they show during black history month? Boyz N Da Hood, Soul Plane and Baby Boy? ARE YOU SERIOUS??? GTFOHWTS!

Originally Posted by kix4kix

well, duh, idiot...

No I ain't missing the point.
This country is predominately white.... of course most TV stations are going to be geared toward WHITE people
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

PLUS the people running all these stations are WHITE people.

usually a product or service that is labeled exclusively "black" is only done due to the overwhelming majority of said products or services being geared towards "america".....or in other words, white....

smh.gif
@this post
Exactly. I agree.
That is why there would/will never be a WET... because the LARGE majority of people in this country are white... therefore so is the TV programing/stations.Meaning that a WET would be unnecessary.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

well, duh, idiot...

No I ain't missing the point.
This country is predominately white.... of course most TV stations are going to be geared toward WHITE people
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

PLUS the people running all these stations are WHITE people.

If your point was in majority why post the percentages? Everyone knows that majority is white: Hence the term minority
indifferent.gif

By breaking down into percentage you are arguing that 75% of the market is white? Correct?

Do you believe this reflects in television?

We may disagree, but I feel the percentage is substantially higher in regards to media.

The people that run BET are white as well. So I fail to see your point.

Back
Top Bottom