I'm commuting to college. VOL: Am I really missing out?

I start college as a freshman in 3 weeks. Throughout my senior year in HS, I wanted to live on campus for the sole reason people talked about how great and funliving on campus was. People would say it was a once in a life time experience and that's understandable. At first females played a big part of me wantingto live on campus because smashing was always available..but as I've gotten older getting buns in my room @ home isn't a problem..so females havenothing to do with me wanting to live on campus anymore. Now it just kinda feels I might be missing out or I should say have a harder time making friends andgetting to know people and like I said before..that once and a lifetime experience..whatever that is.

If I could live on campus I would, but right now commuting is my smartest option. The dorms at my school are
sick.gif
and on campus apartments are expensive..about 4k a semester. If I wanted to livein the on campus apartments I would have to take out a loan which would put me in debt. Right now living at home I have no bills to pay, food is free, privacywhenever it's needed, and don't have to worry about having an idiotic, annoying roommate. I know with how strong the recession is there has to beplenty who attend college that stay @ home..but all I hear on NT is people living on campus and talking about how great it is and these are the same peoplewith OD student loans
sick.gif
..So am I really missing out?

It depends on how the social life is. The dorms are fun though at the beginning of first semester. That's when the girls are loosest
devil.gif

What school are you going to? If the majority of students commute then you're not missing out on anything.

I did and I regretted it, but I was pretty much in the same situation as you and commuting was the best thing to do financially

You are definitely missing out. I go to Virginia Tech., mind you I am from New Jersey. I was very skeptical about going to college so far away and in themiddle of nowhere. LITERALLY NO WHERE! But after coming here, it was definitely one of the best decisions I have made in my life. I lived on campus my firsttwo years and let me tell you, those were the best TWO years so far. You are going to meet a lot of people and just being on campus is the easiest way to doit. Yea, your missing out!

I LOVE COLLEGE!!!

Yeah man, you are. It's not the same. It's just like High School 2 instead of College. I never lived on campus but my brother did. He has 3 years worthof CRAZY college experiences. I mean, it's so much more like the #*++ you see on TV -- which is all you're really asking anyway. Dude, I'd take my2 weeks of fun while visiting with him over my 2 years of "fun" while commuting. It's so much more college'y.

im also commuting to college and i definitely feel that im missing out. almost all my friends are dorming and even though i have enough money left over fromfafsa to cover sharing an apartment with someone, i feel that its not the true dorming experience.

most likely going to transfer next year..

YES YOU ARE...The dorm life the first year is popping. the very first week of freshman orientation is when it GOES DOWWWWN. You'll be a loser if you gohome after school each day and not be active in campus life. COLLEGE = POPPIN

Freshman year = gotta be on campus.

After that.. IMO.. it doesnt matter because here at Maryland... people try to move off campus.

yea the college i go to doesnt have dorms so i drive there...but i would LOVE to live at school for all of the fun ive had just partying down there

-Tyler

Depends on the school. I went to a school where most people commuted so it wasnt really anything. Just make sure you make friends an whatnot. Cuz if you dontits gonna suck.

yes you are.

that's how you meet most of the people you will know in college.

at least try to stay next semester. save some bread up and you can pay out of pocket maybe. how far are you from campus? waking up 10mins before class isalways a win. plus you gotta factor in gas and a parking permit.

If it's a major college or university with majority first year students dorming, then yes, you are missing out. No sugar coating it at all, you won'texperience the same things as those who are dorming.

Certainly in your case and for a lot of people, it makes more sense financially to stay at home, but you sacrifice the first year experience of college.

You are not missing out my dude. Do whatever is financially smarter, if you can save that 4K by commuting then do it. Do not get caught in the overrated/overhyped experience of college and put yourself in debt. It is a good experience yea, but you have to do what is best for you. Think about it this way, you canmeet shortys on campus and just deal with them up in their dorm...Its a win win for you.

Back
Top Bottom