INTERRACIAL RELATIONSHIPS ON THE RISE....WHAT DOES IT REALLY MEAN?

Have you dated interracially?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want to

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
https://www.yahoo.com/style/what-does-the-rise-in-interracial-relationships-106922614898.html

The United States prides itself on being a melting pot of cultures. In light of current events, it’d be naive to say that the contents of the pot has seamlessly mixed together, but there’s one statistic suggesting a positive uptick in one part of life: personal relationships. A recent study revealed that fifteen percent of newlyweds are in an interracial relationship—or 8.4 percent marriages overall—a marked increase since 1960 when only 0.4 percent of marriages were multi racial.

Of course, these statistics aren’t totally shocking when you consider what’s happened over the past 50 years. Interracial marriage was only decriminalized in most states in 1967 (although Alabama didn’t officially legalize it until 2000), and even then, 41% of voters were against it. Alabama might not have actively enforced the law, but the fact that it took them this long to overturn it says a lot about people’s prevalent feelings about race and relationships, especially in small towns and states with a history of segregation and tense race relations. Interracial marriages and relationships might be more common than ever, but does it mean we’re living in a post-racial America?

The answer is yes and no, although probably mostly no. Interracial dating is much more common for young people in urban areas, like New York City, where you meet and interact with a variety of people from all around the world. Attitudes toward these relationships are not the same across the board, and vary based on the ethnic makeup of the couple. For example, the same study found that Asian women tend to marry white men more often than the other way around. “I’ve never had any experiences that made me really think about the fact that my relationship is ‘bi-racial’,” says John Refano, a 34-year-old New York-based web developer. “It might be a sort of cultural bias since I am a white male and my partner is an Asian woman, and maybe our particular ‘mix’ is now quite common.”

Estelle Tang, a 31-year-old Chinese literary scout who also lives in New York City had similar feelings, “We’ve never really had any issues unless we leave the country,” she says, of her relationship with Sam, a 30-year-old white lawyer. “We went to Thailand once and got a lot of catcalls and we got stared at a lot, although obviously Thai people have a reason to be suspicious of white guys with Asian girls, given the sex trade in certain cities there.” At home, Tang acknowledges that there “isn’t really much stigma around Asian girls going out with white guys,” but that the same is not true for Asian men: “I have a friend who is an Asian guy who is convinced white girls aren’t into him because of his race.”

The same cannot be said of people in other races, Genesis Whitlock, who is black and works for a hedge fund, face many “curious glances” on the subway when she and her partner, a white lawyer, hold hands or kiss on the subway. “He does get the side eye from black people age his age or older,” Whitlock says. “Never any words, but the glares are obvious.” Whitlock and her partner are in the minority of multiracial relationships, as only 9 percent of black women marry outside of their race, versus 24 percent of black males. “Once, we were at dinner and he kissed me before going to the bathroom,” Whitlock recalls, “Three women—two black, one white—stopped me on their way out and asked, ‘How did you guys end up together?’ I was initially insulted, but they seemed genuinely surprised and explained they never see ‘our kind of interracial couple’ where they live. One of the black women even added ‘I wish I could find a white guy!’ and it made me realize that I have a certain amount of privilege, I guess, living in a large multicultural city.”

In general, the response to interracial marriage reflects prevalent racist tendencies in the population. “I do think that in urban areas there is less racism against Asian people than say, someone who grows up in the Midwest,” Refano says. “I’m not too naïve to realize that if we had different racial backgrounds, we would probably face more discrimination.” For instance, David Kopach has not encountered any negative comments about his relationship with Marco, a Mexican man, but has noticed that his “close friends and family think it’s OK to make racist jokes” about Mexican people in general. “They’ll say things like, ‘So I guess Marco’s family must see you as their golden egg,’” Kopach says. “Like they have been wanting to make these sorts of comments for a long time, but didn’t have someone close enough to be able to make them unabashedly. It’s like my relationship has given them a free pass.”

The rise in interracial marriage is a sign of changing times, but it obviously doesn’t mean America is over its race issues. The people interviewed for this story all live in New York City, one of the most multicultural places in the world, and they still face comments and actions reminding them, if even for a second, that they are taking part in something that was once taboo. We might be evolving toward more acceptance and inclusion, but it will be some time before studies about “interracial” relationships are no longer necessary.

View media item 1335069

Last edited:
I like how they tried to frame it as a question of a 'melting pot' and diversity but all of the examples they used were of white dudes dating other races.

ill be honest, in my area the only time i see interracial couples is at walmart :lol:

i really hate that place btw :x :smh:

I'm in a interracial marriage. I'm black and my wife is white/black. We don't get many stares like we used to when we first started dating back in 06

I'm in an interracial marriage as well. Use to have some problems living in Vegas but haven't had any since We moved to Michigan. By the way I'm mainly white but I'm Korean and Native American as well. My wife is black, Mexican and Native American.

Last edited:
My view on interracial dating is that it's hard enough trying to find one person to settle down with, so why should I limit myself to one group of people? Only kind of people I hate when it comes to interracial dating are the ones who say I only date whatever girls because these girls are this and that.

Few of the black folks who are older (30-50) dont mess with WG mainly because it shows a weakness.

been in interracial relationships.

having a thing for asians lately :evil:

I'm in one. Been with her almost 6 years.

My kids mom is also half white if that counts.

nothing wrong with it imo

personally prefer to date different ethnicities within my race 

JLijS.gif

Instead of a block of text I wished they showed a graph.

Anyways, I personally have never been in an interracial relationship

and I dont think i'll ever marry a girl outside my ethnicity.. Maybe a Chinese girl but prob. nothing else. (im korean)

One thing thats important to me is to preserve my culture and I know if I marry someone who's not korean then

our kids wont really know anything about the korean culture. You can say that I just need to find a girl who's open minded

but lets be real, most likely our kids will end up being straight up americanized. 

Last edited:
My ex-wife was half Spanish (non-white) and white. My gf is full Spanish (non-white). I've dated mostly black and Hispanic or Latina women in the past. Where I currently reside, black people are less than 8% of the population. I'm assuming maybe half of that number are women and less than that are women around my age that I would consider eligible. I see no point in limiting myself when it comes to love. I have biracial children and teach them about our history all the time. They both have "black" names too. I feel I'm doing my part in a sense to keep my culture alive.

Dated outside of my race and I was confronted with lots of issues I never had to contemplate before let alone I'm in the south.

It's scary honestly and I commend the people that do it if it's genuine. Not on this "white guy is a an upgrade for any race of women"bs.

Dated outside of my race and I was confronted with lots of issues I never had to contemplate before

had the same problem.

but her fam was cool with it, mine too.

so all the "friends" or random people that had problem with it, i was on some tupac **** "F*** ALL YA!!"

Last edited:
Never had problems dating my current girlfriend(she's Nicaraguan and I'm black and Filipino). Although her parent think I can't get touched in their hood(projects) because I'm half black which I think is completely the opposite of reality. It's not insulting to me though, just completely incorrect.

Some folks think dating a certain race is "privilege" that I disagree with but everyone should find happiness no matter who they are with.

interracial relationships are a good thing.

mixed chicks >

and i dont see how a man could honestly say that he only talks to chicks of his race...there are too many good looking women in all different colors

gotta catch em all

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom