Is gum a snack?

I just saw a commercial for Extra earlier and they looked like they wanted to get with the dieting consumers by saying that their gum was a 5 calorie snack.

You don't ingest gum. You chew it until the flavor is gone then you spit it out. I don't think it's a snack.

Discuss.

I wouldn't consider it a snack personally.

I've been watching the Biggest Loser and they bill it as an alternative to a snack. So you would use it instead of having a snack to curb appetite. Thatmakes more sense to me. They use Extra as well.

Absolutely not. I guess it could be considered a snack replacement, but I hate gum regardless...

^Well I'm going by what the personal trainers on the show said. I don't usually get hungry after eating gum personally. I know it activates the salivaglands. How that pertains to hunger. I don't know.

I think since you don't swallow it (nh) its not a snack.

Originally Posted by Fanatic15

^Well I'm going by what the personal trainers on the show said. I don't usually get hungry after eating gum personally. I know it activates the saliva glands. How that pertains to hunger. I don't know.
It activates your salivary glands. Your body is then expecting food. So your stomach gets all the acids and whatnot ready for the "incomingfood". At least, that's what I heard.

It activates your salivary glands. Your body is then expecting food. So your stomach gets all the acids and whatnot ready for the "incoming food". At least, that's what I heard.
bingo.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

^Well I'm going by what the personal trainers on the show said. I don't usually get hungry after eating gum personally. I know it activates the saliva glands. How that pertains to hunger. I don't know.
It activates your salivary glands. Your body is then expecting food. So your stomach gets all the acids and whatnot ready for the "incoming food". At least, that's what I heard.

That doesn't mean you are actually "hungry" (i.e. need fuel for the body). It may produce a craving, but cravings =/= actual hunger. If youjust ate an hour ago and then chew some gum, you aren't all of a sudden going to need to eat again.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

That doesn't mean you are actually "hungry" (i.e. need fuel for the body). It may produce a craving, but cravings =/= actual hunger. If you just ate an hour ago and then chew some gum, you aren't all of a sudden going to need to eat again.

Then I'm stumped. I said that it was what I heard so looks like what I heard was wrong
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Well if you want to call it a snack. Then its a snack that makes me hungry a majority of the time.

Back
Top Bottom