Is hip hop seriously dead at this point? Serious discussion, no flame wars!

I'm the first one to say I thought Nas was mad corny with his Hip Hop Is Dead movement a few years ago.  Back then, guys we grew up on were still relevant putting out halfway decent stuff on the airwaves.  Fast forward to 2013, and this is the first year I'm scratching my head thinking maybe dude was right.  No hate on the new guys coming out- it's a whole new ball game today.  We're not expecting another BIG, another PAC, another Tribe Called Quest, etc.

Within the last couple months, I've seen Wale and then Pusha T/Fabolous.  These guys did a decent job, but their stage presence isn't superb to say the least.  Pusha had tons of energy, but I just don't get that feeling that guys like this can carry a generation on their backs.  The DJs between sets had the typical Future stuff to get everybody amped.  How did someone like this seriously get signed, let alone have the rap game on his back?!  Wale's DJ slipped in a few 90s, 00s tracks and everyone loved it.  

I've always felt excited to check the blogs, etc for new tapes, vlogs, etc.  I still check laleakers.com for singles, but this is the first year I've felt 
eyes.gif
 when it comes to the artists this day & age.  

It's almost a blessing in disguise, that I've used this year to go back to stuff I missed in the 90s and before and really regret I never heard some of these albums when they came out!  There was so much heat back in the day, especially R&B!  Once I get tired of this, it's time to venture into Rock- something I never did.

What do you guys think???  

Hip hop isn't dead. There is always new artists that comes out that bring great material. Everybody just needs to expand their listening.

There are still some good Rappers out there, you just won't hear them on the radio.

What are some of the older albums you've checked out?

If I was stuck solely listening to the radio and watching 106 & Park, I'd believe hip hop was dead too.

The DJs between sets had the typical Future stuff to get everybody amped.  How did someone like this seriously get signed, let alone have the rap game on his back?!
Because he knows how to write hooks and make good songs. Rap ain't always about lyrics.

Why would you set yourself up going into a Future track expecting A Tribe Called Quest?

Anyways, hip hop is not dead if you have an internet connection. You can make it so you only keep up with the artists you like. You don't need TV or radio to get music anymore.

And stop acting like every BIG and Pac record was some deep introspective ****. They had party records, like everyone else.

I think a lot of dude's problems is that the best period of their lives occured between 10-20 years ago so they don't really miss the music as much as they miss the nostalgia of that time.

Pick up Talib's Prisoner of Consciousness...
pimp.gif

Ice City I kind of disagree with the production aspect...90's- 00's hip hop beats >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> now 

A lot of beats now are too sweet. 

Last edited:
I grew up listening to hot 97. r&b, reggae, hip hop.

Thank god it all sucks now you know why i opened up my music taste and found so much music i love ranging from indie, to electronic, to everything.

Currently I don't give a damn about rap and i'm honestly amazed every time i hear something I like... e.g. j. cole's last mixtape. because more often than not all the hip hop releases are garbage.

not a kendrick fan either... he's ight.

im not saying youre corny but odd future is definetly corny

idk bout you but i dont listen to rappers that im cooler than so you might be a cornball
:lol: Not even gonna front I kinda am but Odd Future is more than just Tyler and Earl's kinda geeky music. Hodgy and Domo actually make some smooth ish.

I think a lot of dude's problems is that the best period of their lives occured between 10-20 years ago so they don't really miss the music as much as they miss the nostalgia of that time.​

Why would we miss the nostalgia more than the music if we legit loved the music?

You make no sense.

There were potentially more classic pieces of music born in that time period (I'll take it back to 25 years ago even) than there have been recently.

A lot of Jay and Kanye's fans will tell you their classics are well behind them (though I know some Kanye fans actually liked 808's and really do believe MDTBF is a "classic").

"Nostalgia" ain't entirely accounting for that.

Last edited:
Why would we miss the nostalgia more than the music if we legit loved the music?

You make no sense.

There were potentially more classic pieces of music born in that time period (I'll take it back to 25 years ago even) than there have been recently.

A lot of Jay and Kanye's fans will tell you their classics are well behind them (though I know some Kanye fans actually liked 808's and really do believe MDTBF is a "classic").

"Nostalgia" ain't entirely accounting for that.
I think he meant people miss the experience, which they are nostalgic about, more than they miss the music which makes perfect sense.

Music from the 90's is still here, and will be here, forever.  On the other hand the experience of being a part of the culture in the 90's is gone forever. 

Last edited:
I understand exactly what he meant. But if we liked the music, what more is there to say than that?

When I listen to records from the 80's/90's, I rock out to them. It's not about "nostalgia". To me, "I Ain't No Joke" by Eric B and Rakim has a swagger about it that resonates ANY day, ANY year.

I don't always think about the time along with the music.

I can see it maybe with 80's pop records or some freestyle. But I'm also not pretending like all of those were AMAZING records.

I listen to records from the 60's and 70's, before I was even born, and love them. And I'll say the music was better then than it is today. With actual musicians jamming out in studios.

Where is the nostalgia in that?

You say music from the 90s is still here. That's because it's strong music. Not necessarily because we're "nostalgic" about it.

Some music is timeless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom