Is it ever okay to make fun of an athlete online? RE: EDDIE LACY STORY

The Eddie Lacy story got us thinking: Is it ever okay to make fun of an athlete online?
Seahawks running back Eddie Lacy opens up about his agonizingly public struggle with weight: http://es.pn/2fzW5IP
DKLYB3-WkAEkbMu.jpg

DKLkYSFWAAATDK7.jpg

DKSuiUAU8AA0zpg.jpg

as someone who loves the meme life, i'm still thinking through this one--not sure where the line is. what do you think?

I think it is. Would I do it myself? no, but that's part of being a pro athlete and being in the limelight. You're never going to get universal praise. If you play poorly your fans will get on you and say you suck and if you play well opposing fans will hate you. Interest (good or bad) in athletes and the sport they play are what generate revenue for their league and ultimately what pays their salary. As long as you don't cross the line (talk crazy about family members, kids or personal stuff) I'm ok with fans clowning athletes.

At games, it ends when you go home. With the online stuff it follows you everywhere and doesn't stop. Of course it depends on you being on social media and looking at stories online.

Yeah. With the durant and lacy stories stuff like that gets talked about on sports shows, radio, and they get media questions about it.

It's always ok. These multi-millionaires need to stop being so sensitive.

At games, it ends when you go home. With the online stuff it follows you everywhere and doesn't stop. Of course it depends on you being on social media and looking at stories online.

this is pretty much exactly what were seeing nowadays with these kids being bullied in school and it continuing online when they get home.

Yeah, I was thinking those situations in high school are similar. Glad I didn't grow up in the age of social media. I used to see kids in class get made fun of and teased everyday all the time. At least they were able to go home and get a break. Now you got kids tagging people in posts and sending them insults in messages.

It's always ok. These multi-millionaires need to stop being so sensitive.

I'll never understand how money plays a role to some people.

They're still human.

With that said, these guys are just soft.

I don't hear every athlete cry like this.

God knows Russel Wilson has taken some hit online.

I'll never understand how money plays a role to some people.

They're still human.

With that said, these guys are just soft.

I don't hear every athlete cry like this.

God knows Russel Wilson has taken some hit online.

Yep, and Wilson seems to be pretty "meh" about it. I can only imagine how many Future jokes and Ciara slander he's come across

I think this is the problem when it comes to athletes, people no longer look at them as humans. Anonymity is a hell of a thing, none of these people would say this stuff to an athlete face to face.

A lot of NTers wouldn't talk to NTers like that.

It's like continuing to bully the little kid in HS.

I've talked **** about many an athlete on NT but I've never had the urge to stalk them on social media lathering them with insults.

Get a life.

Jealousy and time is a horrible mix.

I'd be able to easily block stuff out if my head is inbetween ciara's legs.

jon jones hating 4w (the nt'er 4wrestling) was actually entertaining. I think 4w made a post on social media about getting engaged and jones called him mutant face.

jon jones hating 4w (the nt'er 4wrestling) was actually entertaining. I think 4w made a post on social media about getting engaged and jones called him mutant face.

That was VERY funny :lol: but that's what can happen if you pester celebs on social media like he did.

C'mon Eddie Lacy. This dude really talking about fat shaming? Bruh it's your job to be in shape.

And KD is the definition of a HAN.

I dont think some of you guys are getting what Lacy is saying. It's not fat-shaming to get in shape. Even if he's in shape people will still **** on him. It's following him regardless.

Social Media is still in its infancy and I think people still get blind-sided by it. I don't think Lacy ever saw the whole world ****ting on him coming.

He's a really nice guy. His personality kinda reminds me of Ricky Williams. Im not surprised its messed with his head.

I think you're a lame if you go out of your way to target and @ an athlete just to make fun of them.

Getting at KD tho, you can get away with that because he's done it to himself :lol: .

Im not sure how Lacy and KD situations are even in the same discussion.

KD was the one making fun of people himself under an alternate account. He was literally partaking in the problem being addressed lol.

I dont think some of you guys are getting what Lacy is saying. It's not fat-shaming to get in shape. Even if he's in shape people will still **** on him. It's following him regardless.

Social Media is still in its infancy and I think people still get blind-sided by it. I don't think Lacy ever saw the whole world ****ting on him coming.

He's a really nice guy. His personality kinda reminds me of Ricky Williams. Im not surprised its messed with his head.

Huh? Ain't nobody "fat shaming" RB's that stay in shape. Eddie Lacy's stomach be killing his jersey. That's why people make jokes. Him making this a big thing will probably make it worse. Dude just too sensitive, Jerome Bettis got jokes too and he rolled with it cuz it ain't that serious.

I still dont think you're getting what he's saying.

Lacy did lose weight after the jokes started and people made fun of him regardless. So yes people were fat-shaming him when he was in shape.

And Jerome Bettis retired like a decade before twitter became what it is so thats a moot point.

Back
Top Bottom