Is it safe to say The "Def Jam 2000 era" was one of the best era's in Hip-Hop?

I think it was due to the fact that they had a massive line up during that time. All of them in the line came out with solid albums too..
The people in Def Jam during the time in that vicious era..

98-2001

1.DMX

2.Ja Rule

3.Jay-Z

4.Method Man

5.Redman

6.Beanie 

7.Foxy Brown

8.EPMD

9.Ludacris

There was a few more, but this could be one of my, if not, my favorite era of rap music... What do you guys think?

How could it not be based on everybody you listed? DMX was the man during that time, and like somebody
mentioned in another DMX thread, from 98-00, DMX >>>>>>>>>>>> Jay-Z

I was raised off Def Jam.

Big, Wu and Pun amongst others...but I was literally raised off Def Jam.

Cormega was also on the label but got shelved.

#NEVERFORGET

2h4gf4k.jpg

@Ace, That was middle school for me, so I guess that is what got me really into rap music.. 

Their late 80's-early 90's roster built Hip Hop.

But most definitely safe to say the 2k Def Jam era was on of the best.

coppin onyx and DMX da same day with da survival of da illest bonus CD in 1998 >>>>>>*

The thing about that era was that they actually sold records and got promoted very well. It was promoted well to the point that you would look forward to release day to purchase their albums.. 
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Hard Knock Life tour ftw, even in the gutter +%% Cobo in Detroit.  
laugh.gif
  DMX coming out to do "Money, Cash, $%%!".  Red & Meth bungee jumping over the crowd during "How High".  Jay coming up from the manhole on the stage.  

That was such a good era of music.  There weren't really many albums that were change the game type classics.  But the music knocked and most of the albums were solid, front to back.  Hell, Blackout by Red/Meth still gets regular spins from me.  

I wouldn't just call it the Def Jam era cuz I was still messing with w/e was coming out from Bad Boy at the time as well but yeah it definitely is.

The Hardknock Life tour was nice... Rap music was better back then..

Originally Posted by ninjahood

coppin onyx and DMX da same day with da survival of da illest bonus CD in 1998 >>>>>>*

2hrzl82.jpg

pimp.gif

Prob. the 3rd best era.  Great time for music!

yes.

i remember there was like a 5 page advertisment for def jam...it had like jay and then said 5x plat, then dmx, foxy brown , and a few other artists.

i remember when i heard the ripper strikes back... damn near stopped being a canibus fan.

"99% of your fans dont exist" whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowee.

also meth+red = classics
def suad, keith murray and erick sermon were big

def jam had like 50 artists all selling at the same time.

now they can barely get rick ross to go plat.
also they added 2000 to everything

docs tha name 2000. tical 2000

almost had hard knock life 2000 lol

Back
Top Bottom