Is it worth it becoming a doctor or lawyer?

I love helping people out but with both occupations easily putting in 70+ hour work weeks,constantly on call, and getting into so much debt? If anyone on NT is/or knows anyone in these occupations my main question is do they have time for family, friends, and time to themselves.Also what is they average day like for them.

If you have the ability to become an MD, then become an MD. It's not that easy though as you might not be able to score high enough on the MCAT to even make med school and that'd be the end of that.

It's much easier to get a JD on the other hand but the rewards just aren't there for most once they do get a JD. Unless you can get into a top ~14 law school or can guarantee graduating top 10% at a Tier 1 school below T14 then I'd advise against it.

Last edited:
I have 2 lawyers I'm broing out with as we speak. One asked me to post his linked in profile if you have any questions.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/edit?trk=hb_tab_pro_top

He is very happy with his career and bags nothing but profile Asian models. He is currently fondling my other friend who is also a lawyer.

Ask far as being a doctor goes, it's not for everyone but if that's your passion go for it and don't let anyone tell you no.

I got friends in law school right now, they hate it but I'll let you know in about 10 years what they think about it

Only if its what you want to do in your heart and the money you'll make has no influence in your decision.

Only if its what you want to do in your heart and the money you'll make has no influence in your decision.

a lot of ppl DONT do this

it dont even gotta be doctors or lawyers

it can be a damn nurse these days................ppl just go for things they think pay good and have job stability also

big reason why nursin is gettin oversaturated

the money is what drives people like lawyers and doctors...theyre like rappers

You obviously dont have a clue about what nonsense you are spitting.

The money is for the most part good but if you let money drive you in medicine you will be miserable. You have to have a passion for the field. I can definitely speak for medicine as I am a physician and my sister is a lawyer so I have some knowledge of that field as well

There are many lawyers out there who are doing just ok and in medicine there a few fields where when you factor in the debt you incur for school the salary is far from great. I will say my field still has great pay but it is on the decline in fact 20% over the past few years and going to continue to drop.

Last edited:
Stop at NP. Best balance between debt, responsibility, and quality of life.

NP or PA can be great like you say you dont incur the vast amount of debt and if you are working under a physician they carry most of the liability.

That being said if I could go back in time I would still choose the field I chose

Last edited:
You obviously dont have a clue about what nonsense you are spitting.
The money is for the most part good but if you let money drive you in medicine you will be miserable. You have to have a passion for the field. I can definitely speak for medicine as I am a physician and my sister is a lawyer so I have some knowledge of that field as well
There are many lawyers out there who are doing just ok and in medicine there a few fields where when you factor in the debt you incur for school the salary is far from great. I will say my field still has great pay but it is on the decline in fact 20% over the past few years and going to continue to drop.
i worked at a law firm for years. lawyers are the greediest people on this earth.

just take a look at our political leaders.

doctors probably not as much. but lately a lot of doctors have been getting caught up in these scandals with insurance agencies.

i worked at a law firm for years. lawyers are the greediest people on this earth.

just take a look at our political leaders.

doctors probably not as much. but lately a lot of doctors have been getting caught up in these scandals with insurance agencies.

You are making a very broad generalization. What type of law were they practicing where you worked? If it was ambulance chasers I would say that may be a fairly accurate statement.

Doctors getting caught up in insurance fraud is a very small percentage but of course those make headlines.

man i got a close enough gpa for law school... it just scares the **** our of me that once you finish law school that the end of the road... thats what your doing for the rest of your life (or atleast most of it) .. but ive met a couple and all these guys drive whips that would be in a birdman music video and they all got dime piece girls/ mistresses not really sure what to do 

You are making a very broad generalization. What type of law were they practicing where you worked? If it was ambulance chasers I would say that may be a fairly accurate statement.
Doctors getting caught up in insurance fraud is a very small percentage but of course those make headlines.
basically...subro for state farm

I have several friends in medical school. If your not really passionate about it DO NOT go to med school. I have a buddy who is ready to drop out, the dude is miserable

Average day is work all day. plus the years of schooling.

There are other ways to help people without being a doctor or a lawyer.

You could have the humblest of positions and positively impact someones life while someone with the most prestigious of titles could do no good.

If you have the option between MD and JD, definitely go with MD. Nothing wrong with DO either, the bias towards DOs will virtually be non-existent by the time you graduate.

On the other hand, I know so many lawyers who are hurting right now. You got firms in NY who are offering, say, a single $15,000/year position and 35 people are fighting for it. It is TOUGH out there for a lawyer right now.

And to those who say that money drives JD/MD candidates, just stop it. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Average day is work all day. plus the years of schooling.

There are other ways to help people without being a doctor or a lawyer.

You could have the humblest of positions and positively impact someones life while someone with the most prestigious of titles could do no good.

That's not very sound advice. I'm sure there are more people with prestigious titles who do great things for humanity than someone who works at a school as a counselor. Maybe the latter saves a kid from committing suicide every year, but maybe you have a medical director of a program at Johns Hopkins at the forefront of medical research that could literally save and/or improve millions of lives.

If you want to help people, you go be a doctor. The magnitude of help is just bounds greater. Of course, it's ultimately up to you, but your reach is far greater if your career in life can arm you with the resources you need.

If you have the option between MD and JD, definitely go with MD. Nothing wrong with DO either, the bias towards DOs will virtually be non-existent by the time you graduate.

On the other hand, I know so many lawyers who are hurting right now. You got firms in NY who are offering, say, a single $15,000/year position and 35 people are fighting for it. It is TOUGH out there for a lawyer right now.

And to those who say that money drives JD/MD candidates, just stop it. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah my girl got her LLM (like a master's in Law) and has been looking for a job for going on 6 months now. She spend all day every day applying for jobs and has tons of internship experience and rarely even get a email back.

Her friend went to The University of Oregon law school for her JD and had been working at a sushi restaurant for something like 8 months because she couldn't find a job. Its tough out there for lawyers right now. The most important thing as someone mentioned earlier with law is to shoot for a top 14 school because its tough finding a job if you dont graduate from one.

So many people think being a lawyer is like what you see on TV but its far FAR from what it is actually in reality. My GF wished countless times shortly after the start of law school that she followed what she was passionate about and NOT went to law school. It was at the point that she stuck with it only because the debt she piled on was going to be there regardless so she felt she might as well finish.

Moral of the story, do what you're passionate about not what you believe pays out the most.

Last edited:
That's not very sound advice. I'm sure there are more people with prestigious titles who do great things for humanity than someone who works at a school as a counselor. Maybe the latter saves a kid from committing suicide every year, but maybe you have a medical director of a program at Johns Hopkins at the forefront of medical research that could literally save and/or improve millions of lives.
If you want to help people, you go be a doctor. The magnitude of help is just bounds greater. Of course, it's ultimately up to you, but your reach is far greater if your career in life can arm you with the resources you need.

I know

but we live in an age with people creating straws that filters people's dirty water. People creating generators with urine. You don't have to join an institution to impact people. A bright minded individual can make positive change.

If you want a family it's best to go the NP or PA route, not saying it's not possible with an MD. But it's more plausible with the former.

If you want a family it's best to go the NP or PA route, not saying it's not possible with an MD. But it's more plausible with the former.

Don't go the PA route, jobs are not as available as you may think and they are completely underpayed and overworked...don't know where you get your facts from....perhaps NP gives you more freedom depending where you end up, plus it gives you the flexibility to just be an RN should you realize the NP route is taking over your life....MD, NP or PA are all very demanding roles....however once you are establish you will have time for a family...is just something you'll most likely be starting much later on in your life...mid to late 30's if you start your journey early.

Back
Top Bottom