Is the era of the 50-60+ point scorers over in the NBA?

Originally Posted by JsindaA

Melo could never avg 40 but he definitely has the skills to put a string of 40 point games together. 

lebron, bird, magic, Kobe, dirk, T-mac,Jordan  proved they couldn't either so what's your point?
only chamberlain has done it

Originally Posted by third

Melo could never avg 40 but he definitely has the skills to put a string of 40 point games together. 

lebron, bird, magic, Kobe, dirk, T-mac,Jordan  proved they couldn't either so what's your point?
what? YOU were the one that said he could in the first place
alien.gif

what? YOU were the one that said he could in the first place
alien.gif

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

This question makes no sense. Think about it. The feat of going over 60 has only been accomplished 62 times by 20 different players. ONLY 20. The NBA was founded in 1948. Nowadays, the league has around 400+ players in it at any given time.

So therefore, this feat can be seen as simply a fluke, done by exceptionally skilled and dominating players. Just because we haven't seen it in a year (Kob at MSG), doesn't mean it'll never happen again.

Consider this, in between The Admiral dropping 60+ and Shaq dropping 60+ there was a 6 YEAR GAP ('94-'00). It's been done 7 times since 2005, and Kobe has 5 of them, which is why your perception of the "era" being over is what it is. If an all-time talent is in a conducive situation for his scoring, you'll see it happen.
sick.gif
Filthy.

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

This question makes no sense. Think about it. The feat of going over 60 has only been accomplished 62 times by 20 different players. ONLY 20. The NBA was founded in 1948. Nowadays, the league has around 400+ players in it at any given time.

So therefore, this feat can be seen as simply a fluke, done by exceptionally skilled and dominating players. Just because we haven't seen it in a year (Kob at MSG), doesn't mean it'll never happen again.

Consider this, in between The Admiral dropping 60+ and Shaq dropping 60+ there was a 6 YEAR GAP ('94-'00). It's been done 7 times since 2005, and Kobe has 5 of them, which is why your perception of the "era" being over is what it is. If an all-time talent is in a conducive situation for his scoring, you'll see it happen.
sick.gif
Filthy.

Theres really no need to torch a team for 50-60 points...

Lebron couldve eeeeasily put up 50-60pts vs the Cavs in Cleveland if they didnt sit him for the whole 4th qtr..

everybody is pretty much on cruise control... I think it will start to get intense after the All Star break..

Theres really no need to torch a team for 50-60 points...

Lebron couldve eeeeasily put up 50-60pts vs the Cavs in Cleveland if they didnt sit him for the whole 4th qtr..

everybody is pretty much on cruise control... I think it will start to get intense after the All Star break..

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Melo is vastly overrated . The reason he put up 30 a game because he got scrubs guarding him. Son got exposed last year when he play the Jazz

Not sure if serious.

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

Melo is vastly overrated . The reason he put up 30 a game because he got scrubs guarding him. Son got exposed last year when he play the Jazz

Not sure if serious.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Carmelo is just about the only person that has the ability to do this. He's the best pure scorer in the NBA.

Stop it. I remember chuck saying this right before the playoffs and we all know what happened next. People were saying Melo was a better scorer than Kobe and when the Lakers played the Nuggets we all know how that ended.

Melo's nice, but he aint that nice.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Carmelo is just about the only person that has the ability to do this. He's the best pure scorer in the NBA.

Stop it. I remember chuck saying this right before the playoffs and we all know what happened next. People were saying Melo was a better scorer than Kobe and when the Lakers played the Nuggets we all know how that ended.

Melo's nice, but he aint that nice.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

Is there anyone left that would "consistently" drop 50 and 60 point games in the NBA?...
I think the era of seeing a player like Iverson or Kobe come up with 60+ points every other week is over.

In the modern era, nobody has "consistently" had 50-point games.. much less 60-point games.

Since 1986-87, the 50-point mark has only been surpassed 161 times. That means it happens only 6 times per season on average.

In that time, only Kobe and Jordan have more 50-point games than seasons played. Pouring in 50 points actually has little to do with being a star player.. it's much more about being in the zone.

Just look at these examples of players who've had 50-point nights:

Andre Miller
Damon Stoudamire
Tony Delk
Cliff Robinson
Tracy Murray
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
Dana Barros
Cedric Ceballos
Willie Burton
Nick Anderson
Vernon Maxwell
Charles Smith
Terry Cummings

Is there anyone left that would "consistently" drop 50 and 60 point games in the NBA?...
I think the era of seeing a player like Iverson or Kobe come up with 60+ points every other week is over.

In the modern era, nobody has "consistently" had 50-point games.. much less 60-point games.

Since 1986-87, the 50-point mark has only been surpassed 161 times. That means it happens only 6 times per season on average.

In that time, only Kobe and Jordan have more 50-point games than seasons played. Pouring in 50 points actually has little to do with being a star player.. it's much more about being in the zone.

Andre Miller
Damon Stoudamire
Tony Delk
Cliff Robinson
Tracy Murray
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
Dana Barros
Cedric Ceballos
Willie Burton
Nick Anderson
Vernon Maxwell
Charles Smith
Terry Cummings

I seriously doubt anyone is dropping 60 this year unless it's a fringe player exploding on the Raptors or Warriors.

Kobe- When he was dropping 60 he was getting to the rim/getting free throws at will...those days are over.
LeBron- Never dropped 60 and isn't doing it now that his 2 butt-buddies take away his opportunities. Definitely has the ability, he could have dropped 60 on the Cavs.
Durant- Doesn't have the mentality to drop 60, not sure if he has enough of an offensive arsenal either.
Melo- Doesn't hit enough 3's or get enough free throws
Derrick Rose- Not enough FT's.

I seriously doubt anyone is dropping 60 this year unless it's a fringe player exploding on the Raptors or Warriors.

Kobe- When he was dropping 60 he was getting to the rim/getting free throws at will...those days are over.
LeBron- Never dropped 60 and isn't doing it now that his 2 butt-buddies take away his opportunities. Definitely has the ability, he could have dropped 60 on the Cavs.
Durant- Doesn't have the mentality to drop 60, not sure if he has enough of an offensive arsenal either.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

Andre Miller
Damon Stoudamire
Tony Delk
Cliff Robinson
Tracy Murray
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
Dana Barros
Cedric Ceballos
Willie Burton
Nick Anderson
Vernon Maxwell
Charles Smith
Terry Cummings
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But obviously the qualification is that pouring in 50 points is easier, and done more often, if you're a star player/scorer.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

Andre Miller
Damon Stoudamire
Tony Delk
Cliff Robinson
Tracy Murray
Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
Dana Barros
Cedric Ceballos
Willie Burton
Nick Anderson
Vernon Maxwell
Charles Smith
Terry Cummings
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But obviously the qualification is that pouring in 50 points is easier, and done more often, if you're a star player/scorer.

Originally Posted by Futuristic

When kobe went off for 50 or 60 points it was because he got ridiculously hot from the perimeter. He scored 61 last year at MSG so I think he still has it in him.

Tmac and Iverson only have 1 60 point game each so it is not that easy to do.

Originally Posted by Futuristic

When kobe went off for 50 or 60 points it was because he got ridiculously hot from the perimeter. He scored 61 last year at MSG so I think he still has it in him.

Tmac and Iverson only have 1 60 point game each so it is not that easy to do.

I think streaky players are the most capable of doing this, hence Monta Ellis, but if Carmelo leaves the Nuggets, I can see my boy JR Smith going off sporadically

I think streaky players are the most capable of doing this, hence Monta Ellis, but if Carmelo leaves the Nuggets, I can see my boy JR Smith going off sporadically

look at Carmelo's 07 campaign with Iverson on his team
he consistently put up 30 a night

while Iverson was putting up 26 a night...

Stop it. I remember chuck saying this right before the playoffs and we all know what happened next

Melo avg 30 in last years playoffs...

look at Carmelo's 07 campaign with Iverson on his team
he consistently put up 30 a night

while Iverson was putting up 26 a night...

Stop it. I remember chuck saying this right before the playoffs and we all know what happened next

Melo avg 30 in last years playoffs...

Back
Top Bottom