May Wrestling Thread | AEW Double or Nothing This Sunday

January JOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they’re doing better than the other wrestling networks, then I don’t see 1.1 million subs as a fail. It was never going to be anywhere near Netflix or Disney+ levels and they’re actually in-line with the number of people who watch their show weekly. The next step would be to produce binge-worthy shows in WWE Studios that don’t feature their trash a** talent like Kane or Alexa.
1. You can't compare anything WWE is doing to what other companies are doing. They ARE wrestling. The other companies (Including AEW) are crawling around for scraps.

2. Originally, 3 Million was the number WWE put out there as the benchmark that considered the Network a success. Years after that, it then dropped down to 2 Million.

3. Yea I don't think anyone felt it would be on the level of NFLX or DIS. Not even the biggest WWE fans were that delusional.

So it was actually WWE that told us what should be considered successful.

The WWE Network has amassed more than a million viewers since World Wrestling Entertainment launched the subscriber network a year ago, and WWE chief strategy and financial officer George Barrios told CNBC on Tuesday that in the next 3-5 years it could reach 3-4 million subscribers.

WWE Network can get 3-4 million subscribers: Exec https://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/24/wwe-network-can-get-3-4-million-subscribers-exec.html

WWE News: WWE Network misses goal of 2 million subscribers https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/new...ons-are-up-number-still-shy-of-2-million-goal

WWE Network is still struggling to hit 1 million subscribers, nets a $5.9 million loss - The Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-million-subscribers-nets-a-5-9-million-loss/

Your first point of blame is marketing? Why not the content they are putting out?

Legit question.

I have no idea how it is even marketed since I am in "this" bubble.

Because you are taking content as only current product (Only Raw specifically). But content is everything they have. Which is tremendous and a lot. They are getting better with their content with the Untolds, all of Undertakers stuff the recently did, Stone Colds interviews, the behind the scenes for the WMs, special bios (Pat).

Going back to content, Raw is only a blip of ALL content WWE has been putting out on the app. So to argue content alone is silly, to argue Raw is the main deterrent from the app would be more specific. And current Raw story is bad from what everyone says. But Smackdown has been good from what everyone is saying... so how do you get the information over to how many people who watch SD weekly are buying the app sub?

To argue they should be embarrassed of only having a million subscribers, what should that be compared against? Netflix and Hulu, what about newer like Disney+ or Apple TV? Wrestling is a niche product so what should their goal be? They do not provide the same as others (comedy, horror, drama, action tv and movies)... To that point, wouldn’t their goal be followed out by marketing and sales? Netflix has plenty of content, Amazon Prime has more content and better per IMDB ratings and yet Netflix is the subscriber king and it’s not even close. What’s that point? There is plenty of dog **** on Netflix yet they have almost 190 million subscribers. (I could go on a lot, the data from BusinessInsider.com) If Raw has been bad but they have a great library, what’s the difference?

Why isn’t it out there how deep the library is, why aren’t they showing off their episodes of TV they have on their that is popular (Miz, Bella’s,
All of their history stuff (Untolds, interviews, day of’s, Stone Cold, and all the old ones they did to dvd that are on there) and of course the one thing they actual talk about, PPVs. The issue is that I see is they are on weekly TV and give too much away to someone else’s channel, they would have been clever and put them at a premium to leave USA and whoever at the time and figured out how to have the advertisers pay into their app for their commercials. If they had all that content ONLY on their app maybe you have something. But when all their content is on TV stations, on Hulu, on Peacock, what’s my incentive as a retailer TV watcher and not a niche fan to buy the app? To be a streaming only company but still keep Monday and Friday as Raw and SD.

Doing something like that could have gotten their creative juices going, created better weekly content as you stated and drove up their user base. It also gets the Bella’s, Miz, and whatever else they have out their viewers to come over in a fraction. Oh hey by the way you like their reality TV, how about we suggest these three things as well (marketing/sales). However they have been handed billions of dollars vs. millions in advertising (fox, peacock, etc.). To use your line paraphrasing, who would stay in NXT when they could make main roster money.

Edit: I saw the 3 million mark for success... based on what? And see above for all other points that support everything needed.

Because you are taking content as only current product (Only Raw specifically). But content is everything they have. Which is tremendous and a lot. They are getting better with their content with the Untolds, all of Undertakers stuff the recently did, Stone Colds interviews, the behind the scenes for the WMs, special bios (Pat).

Going back to content, Raw is only a blip of ALL content WWE has been putting out on the app. So to argue content alone is silly, to argue Raw is the main deterrent from the app would be more specific. And current Raw story is bad from what everyone says. But Smackdown has been good from what everyone is saying... so how do you get the information over to how many people who watch SD weekly are buying the app sub?

To argue they should be embarrassed of only having a million subscribers, what should that be compared against? Netflix and Hulu, what about newer like Disney+ or Apple TV? Wrestling is a niche product so what should their goal be? They do not provide the same as others (comedy, horror, drama, action tv and movies)... To that point, wouldn’t their goal be followed out by marketing and sales? Netflix has plenty of content, Amazon Prime has more content and better per IMDB ratings and yet Netflix is the subscriber king and it’s not even close. What’s that point? There is plenty of dog **** on Netflix yet they have almost 190 million subscribers. (I could go on a lot, the data from BusinessInsider.com) If Raw has been bad but they have a great library, what’s the difference?

Why isn’t it out there how deep the library is, why aren’t they showing off their episodes of TV they have on their that is popular (Miz, Bella’s,
All of their history stuff (Untolds, interviews, day of’s, Stone Cold, and all the old ones they did to dvd that are on there) and of course the one thing they actual talk about, PPVs. The issue is that I see is they are on weekly TV and give too much away to someone else’s channel, they would have been clever and put them at a premium to leave USA and whoever at the time and figured out how to have the advertisers pay into their app for their commercials. If they had all that content ONLY on their app maybe you have something. But when all their content is on TV stations, on Hulu, on Peacock, what’s my incentive as a retailer TV watcher and not a niche fan to buy the app? To be a streaming only company but still keep Monday and Friday as Raw and SD.

Doing something like that could have gotten their creative juices going, created better weekly content as you stated and drove up their user base. It also gets the Bella’s, Miz, and whatever else they have out their viewers to come over in a fraction. Oh hey by the way you like their reality TV, how about we suggest these three things as well (marketing/sales). However they have been handed billions of dollars vs. millions in advertising (fox, peacock, etc.). To use your line paraphrasing, who would stay in NXT when they could make main roster money.

Edit: I saw the 3 million mark for success... based on what? And see above for all other points that support everything needed.
Good stuff Big Lance. Laid things out very nicely.

To argue they should be embarrassed of only having a million subscribers, what should that be compared against? Netflix and Hulu, what about newer like Disney+ or Apple TV?

1. Yea, when people say content, I think they are thinking of RAW. Even though SD is on Network TV, I (and probably others) still view RAW as the Flagship Show.

2. Yes, the content on the Network has never been the issues. The docs, NXT, old content, and Network specials have always made me feel like I am justified in my Day 1 purchase . ( Bend_The_Knee Bend_The_Knee )

3. 3 Million: At the time, Those were just lofty projections to appease shareholders. Not sure there was much rhyme/reason/logic behind that projection/goal.

Watched the Bianca Bellair Chronicle last night. IT seems very clear that she's their next big women's star following the footsteps of the Horsewomens. Feel like IT would be impossible to watch that and not want to root for her.

Watched the Biance Bellair Chronicle last night. IT seems very clear that she's their next big women's star following the footsteps of the Horsewomens. Feel like IT would be impossible to watch that and not want to root for her.

So you think she will peak before Ripley?

I don't know what the plan was for RR but it seems like this past year SHOULD have been her year but for whatever reason it wasn't.

So you think she will peak before Ripley?

I don't know what the plan was for RR but it seems like this past year SHOULD have been her year but for whatever reason it wasn't.
Yeah she's definitely there as well. They are on a tier far above everybody else, IMO.

Not sure COVID happening when IT did helped things. Ripley beating Harlot in front of 80k people or whatever would have been incredibly different than just having her go over in an empty performance center. We know that WWE really does care about those kind of moments and I don't think they wanted to waste IT.

Yeah she's definitely there as well. They are on a tier far above everybody else, IMO.

Not sure COVID happening when IT did helped things. Ripley beating Harlot in front of 80k people or whatever would have been incredibly different than just having her go over in an empty performance center. We know that WWE really does care about those kind of moments and I don't think they wanted to waste IT.

So going forward

Charlotte
Becky
Bayley
Sasha
ALexa
Asuka

RR
Bianca

Who else?

Where does Low fall into that? Anyone in NXT worth a mention?

So going forward

Charlotte
Becky
Bayley
Sasha
ALexa
Asuka

RR
Bianca

Who else?

Where does Low fall into that? Anyone in NXT worth a mention?
Low is a tough one. So small AND can't speak English. Oscar can't either, but at least she looks more intimidating.

Female Diesel and Tony Ziggs are probably the only other NXT chicks worth mentioning I think.

Ah, I always forget about Toni.

Yea Big Raquel GOnzalez can take over that Tamina/Nia role since there is no telling how long either will be around.

1. You can't compare anything WWE is doing to what other companies are doing. They ARE wrestling. The other companies (Including AEW) are crawling around for scraps.

2. Originally, 3 Million was the number WWE put out there as the benchmark that considered the Network a success. Years after that, it then dropped down to 2 Million.

3. Yea I don't think anyone felt it would be on the level of NFLX or DIS. Not even the biggest WWE fans were that delusional.

So it was actually WWE that told us what should be considered successful.

The WWE Network has amassed more than a million viewers since World Wrestling Entertainment launched the subscriber network a year ago, and WWE chief strategy and financial officer George Barrios told CNBC on Tuesday that in the next 3-5 years it could reach 3-4 million subscribers.

WWE Network can get 3-4 million subscribers: Exec https://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/24/wwe-network-can-get-3-4-million-subscribers-exec.html

WWE News: WWE Network misses goal of 2 million subscribers https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/new...ons-are-up-number-still-shy-of-2-million-goal

WWE Network is still struggling to hit 1 million subscribers, nets a $5.9 million loss - The Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-million-subscribers-nets-a-5-9-million-loss/

I didn’t remember the 3-4 million benchmark. Ok, that’s a failure then.

I want to know how they actually came up with the 3 million subscribers number. That's really the only thing that seems dumb to me.

All the diehards got it from the jump. If that was 1M, why would they think they'd be able to triple their amount of diehards? All the stuff that casuals watch is available on Fox/USA/E!.

@dangerousg An Update.

All content is moving over

“Peacock will launch WWE Network on March 18th — in time for both Fastlane later that month and a two-day WrestleMania 37 in April — and is promising to bring over all of the content to which current WWE Network subscribers have access.”

WWE will move its streaming service to Peacock in the US - The Verge https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/25/22248330/wwe-network-peacock-move-announced-date-price
ah man watch xfinity start charging for peacock 😔

Watched the Bianca Bellair Chronicle last night. IT seems very clear that she's their next big women's star following the footsteps of the Horsewomens. Feel like IT would be impossible to watch that and not want to root for her.

Watched a clip from IT on the Youtubes yesterday.

Looks GOODT! Will check the full Chronicle sometime this week.

Hold my beer..

Back
Top Bottom