John Mayer ruined Jack Johnson for me...

I have tried countless times to listen to Jack Johnson's music. And although I do like some of his songs, dude seems all hype to me. Every time I listen todude it just makes me feel like
grin.gif
"Why bother when John Mayer -Continuum is better." John Mayer has ruined any enjoyment I could have with listening to Jack Johnson.

That's like saying Lupe Fiasco ruined Lil' Wayne for me...

Just because they are white guys that play guitar doesn't mean they have similar styles...Continuum is nowhere near anything JJ has done...

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

That's like saying Lupe Fiasco ruined Lil' Wayne for me...

Just because they are white guys that play guitar doesn't mean they have similar styles...Continuum is nowhere near anything JJ has done...
Never said they were the same. I just said that every time I listen to JJ I think of listening to JM instead.

Alright, i guess i see the point, but trust me, you don't need to fret over not being able to focus on JJ music...Mayer should be fine he is just atanother level...

That's how I feel about, well, any singer-songwriter and Elliott Smith.

Why bother with Graduation when I know Blueprint is better? Because each artist is not going for the same sound. I just take them for what they're worthand enjoy their work. I can listen to one and the other afterwards. I'm not going to not give one artist a chance just because the other is"better." For the record, I love John and Jack. They're like 1a and 1b for me in their genre. Well, I don't even know if they're in thesame genre, but I just group everything that's not hip/hop or r&b into one category haha. Either way, I'm sorry for your loss.

You know what, I feel you. I try to get into Jack's music, but man John Mayer is just killing the fusion music vibe and Jack just can't compete. WhileI understand they are two different people in my mind there music was presented the same way. The scale is on John's side and it has been that way since1999 for me so there is no turning back. Though I will give Jack another try with his newest album.

I understand where you're coming from, but I just see Jack Johnson's sound as very different from Mayer's. And although I love John Mayer, I canstill listen to Jack Johnson's music fairly regularly.

Like everyone said they have different styles but I see the point you're trying to make. I think "Any Given Thursday" and "Room ForSquares" are comparable to Jack Johnson but John started to showcase his guitar playing after that so that's where the comparison should stop.

Both pretty good songwriters, but John %%+@% on Jack guitar wise.

- Tical.

Originally Posted by Tical 30

Like everyone said they have different styles but I see the point you're trying to make. I think "Any Given Thursday" and "Room For Squares" are comparable to Jack Johnson but John started to showcase his guitar playing after that so that's where the comparison should stop.

Both pretty good songwriters, but John %%+@% on Jack guitar wise.

- Tical.

yeah I think Mayer's earlier stuff (pre-Continuum) is comparable. But man when I first heard Continuum it was like
eek.gif
it opened up a whole new realm for me. I started to get into more blues/jazzmusicians and I started listening to more songs with that melo guitar vibe. And now I'm beggin for a new Mayer album along the lines of Continuum. I do digsome of JJs music but I dunno maybe its to much of a up beat chipper vibe. I give him another shot when I get a chance though

Lupe did ruin Lil Wayne for me.

I thought Wayne was gonna be the best ever in '05, until i started listening to Lupe, and realized that Wayne is all flash no substance.

They both suck and are pretty much gimmicks. If you want to listen to that kind of music, there are people who do it better than them.

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

They both suck and are pretty much gimmicks. If you want to listen to that kind of music, there are people who do it better than them.

How can somebody do John Mayer music better than him? Dude doesn't even have a kind of music...

Originally Posted by toast1985

Early John Mayer smashes the current dude to me.

I agree with you. I mean all of his stuff has been great, but I mean lyrically RFS was crazy. Musically Heavier Thingswas just GROUND BREAKING. Any Give Thursday was ridiculos, As/Is was on point all 4.

If you want to hear some good live muisc though get Jason Mraz Tonight Not Again CD, man I still sit back at night and listen to that.

They both suck and are pretty much gimmicks.
Well, I'd rather hear someone talking about on how he's waiting for the world to change (positive music) than talking about how rich andgangster he is (sound familiar?).

*and trust me I got more Rap music in my ipod than any other genre.

Back
Top Bottom