John Wooden Is 99 Years Old Vol. GOAT Still Goin Strong

Happy Birthday, coach.

His family says they will celebrate quietly.

The tallest of his red-headed former pupils, Bill Walton, has written Wooden a heartfelt and funny letter full of memories and ... play-by-play of some of Walton's favorite new albums. He even implies that Bob Dylan's newest includes two songs Dylan wrote "specifically for" John Wooden. I read the lyrics of those songs -- and I'm sure Walton couldn't mean that literally.

By total coincidence, yesterday I bought a classic Wooden book: "Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court."

There are several great tales in there, but one really stuck with me.

Wooden, of course, is almost synonymous with UCLA. But here's the amazing thing. At the time he was offered the UCLA job, he was also in the running to become head coach in Minnesota, which was closer to home for him. There were some complications with the Minnesota position, though, which he wanted to get straightened out first. They said they'd call by 6 p.m. with the details of his final offer. UCLA was due to call at 7.

Minnesota didn't call, so when UCLA called, Wooden said yes to his second choice.

As he hung up the phone, it rang, and it was Minnesota. A blizzard had knocked out all the phone lines, so they had been unable to get through, but now they were offering everything he had asked for.
Had I been able to terminate my agreement with UCLA in an honorable fashion, I would have done so immediately. But I had given my word just a few minutes before.

If fate had not intervened, I would never had gone to UCLA. But my dad's little set of threes served me well: "Don't whine. Don't complain. Don't make excuses."...

I believe that things are directed in some sort of way. I'm not exactly sure how. I also believe that things turn out the best for those who make the best of the way things turn out.

Talk about making the best of it: John Wooden went on to lead UCLA to what may have been the greatest coaching run in college sports history.

Best Ever
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Wooden is a great book.

http://myespn.go.com/blog...9/John-Wooden-is-99.html

the definition of overrated. maybe a great person, but read up on ucla associations of the era and you will realize that he was shady.

haha I knew this thread was gonna take a turn. Someone is gonna be digging up that thread pretty soon. But anyways...happy birthday.

^^I believe their was some booster/alumni guy associated with UCLA that brought in pretty much every star player during Coach Woodens' run. However i doremember it being said Wooden barred him from practice and players, and that it had nothing to do with him...But yea something like that i believe. Or could befor other reasons...Appreciated nonetheless

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

it's been established that wooden wasnt affiliated with said 'booster'.
Thanks, I thought that was the case

tired.gif
calling Wooden overrated...EVERYone who has played for him has goneabove and beyond to give Wooden credit for their success. Shame when one of the greatest coaches of all time is spoken about with such disrespect.

From the aforementioned thread-

and john wooden hated Sam Gilbert and use to run him out of practice when ever he came to see some of the players or ask anyplayer why they was talking to him. Did Gilbert help some of the players out? he proably did but not because wooden asked him or told him to.

Back
Top Bottom