Jordan Brand will be remastering (building better quality shoes) starting in 2015

nike air max's sit like crazy yet they are STILL priced at 179.. Foams sit at 250.. Air max 98s are sitting at 159.99..
of course but at the store level they decide what they want to buy or bring in and when to put them on sale butregardless we the consumer control these things, not immediately but long term we def do.

the problem with your argument is the R&D on shoes is a VERY small percentage of the TOC.. its 10 percent or less..

R&D is NOT the main cost.. its Manufacturing and production.. thats from 1995.. they charged 25 cents for every pair of shoes for R &D on a 70 dollar retail shoe.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lormand/poli/nike/nike101-8.htm

Those statistics say that the labor costs $2.75 per shoe to make. Nike sweatshop employees didn't make $2 per DAY back then (or even now, for that matter), even with forced overtime. Meanwhile, there's a whole US-based department for product testing and development, and I assure you it commanded more than $.025 per shoe to run. Take the testers alone. Even if they got paid in products vs. cash, the cost of the products by nature would exceed $.025/shoe. Yet according to those statistics, the claim is that the cost of labor was 11x greater than what the R&D cost? Sorry, but I don't buy that for a second.

And where is MJ's cut of the profits in that equation (another cost that has to be recuperated)? I don't know off hand what he was getting in '95, but he was given $500k/yr by Nike for the 1st 5 years+ a piece of the revenue earned from sales to start things off. He had to still have been making at least that much by '95. Why isn't that factored into the cost? What about the team of designers? Did they work for free? I'm pretty sure Tinker Hatfield's salary alone had to add more cost than the labor per shoe. Is that $.25 claiming to have encompassed all those costs into the shoe?

And it looks like these are averages of Nike shoes in general? That doesn't help when we're talking about a specific line of a brand, especially when that line is considered to be amongst their flagships in performance. Obviously, a low end Nike eradicates a lot of costs (less extensive R&D, less time/talent spent on design, endorsements, marketing, etc).

It saddens me and it embarasses your folks that some of you folks are naive and ignorant. Economics 101 will teach you that supply and demand dictates price equilibrium. Business classes will teach you about profits and margin.

Although the price increase in retros may or may not be justified, it is obvious that it isn‘t based on just one factor. With that said, yes supply, demand, margins, and inflation are drivers.

And idiots who disregard inflation are those that do not understand it. They simply do bo understand.

I don't think anyone is completely disregarding inflation. Of COURSE it's a factor. I'm just pointing out that inflation alone in no way, shape or form justifies the price increases, nor is it even the biggest factor. The main driver of price in this case is sales. Nike keeps bumping up the price of the product, and the product keeps selling, so why would they stop? That's every business' dream come true. If tomorrow, everyone and their brother decided to stick to some principals for once and stopped buying AJs they're less than satisfied with, JB would be forced to reevaluate their product quality and/or pricing. But since that's not going to happen, they will continue to increase prices (thus profit margins) until they find that ceiling price where it won't sell anymore. Again, good on them for milking the cash cow, bad on consumers for continuing to provide the milk.

nike air max's sit like crazy yet they are STILL priced at 179.. Foams sit at 250.. Air max 98s are sitting at 159.99..

There are several factors on why one product would sit over another. When the infrared VI pack came out, believe it or not, as rare and sought after as they were, there were still places that had a pack or 2 sitting even a couple weeks after release. Does that mean they were charging too much for them, or that they weren't as popular as first thought? Not necessarily. Part of the problem was that it followed on the heals of the non-infrared release. It's about timing, popularity varying from region to region, quantity produced, etc. For example, if they can sell a decent chunk of Foams at $250, then "reduce" them to $200, or $150 to get rid of the rest, they still come out that much better than starting them off at $200 or $150.

The real question you should be asking is if inflation is a major factor in the price increases, why aren't the percentages of the price increases from shoe to shoe a bit closer?

anomaly anomaly Whats good!? Nice to see you back on board!

What's up, Rob!? Just living the dream. Thought I'd pop in since it's been a while. I see nothing's changed. :lol:

Last edited:
I didn't forget bros, schools just been kicking my... I'll post the info tonight, it's just product #s, official prices, etc

Any info on if these "remastered" shoes will come in toddler and preschool sizes :nerd:
Man I hope they don't kill me with the price increase for my kids shoes :smh:

Any info on if these "remastered" shoes will come in toddler and preschool sizes :nerd:

Not sure if the "remastered" "quality" will carry over to below GS (I can check) but I do know the price will/has increased

Not sure if the "remastered" "quality" will carry over to below GS (I can check) but I do know the price will/has increased
Eh not really trippin on quality
U know how kids can dog shoes out regardless
I just hope they release in those sizes
Thanks for checking though

Aiight so, GS has risen to $130, and will rise to $140 for "remastered", men has risen to $185, and will rise to $190 for "remastered" smaller sizes price has risen too (will get check to see if releases carry over to smaller sizes) will post prices once I check again, GS does have more releases than men (as of right now for '15 GS has more releases aside from the "remastered", I'll post them once I take another look)

Release dates haven't popped in yet, so take the ones floating around lightly (although they just may be correct) although I do have a few

AJ Retro 7 French Blue 304775 107 1/24/15 $190

AJ Retro 4 LS Wht/Legend Blu/Nvy 314254 107 1/10/15 $190

AJ Retro 1 Laser White 705289 100 $185

AJ Retro 4 Teal/Wht/Blk 705331 330 $190

AJ Retro 10 Wht/Blk/Red 310803 102 $190

AJ Retro 10 Dusk/Gold/Blk 705178 045 $190

AJ Retro Gym Red/Blk/Cement 705178 601 $190

AJ Retro 4 LS Blk/Tech Grey 314254 003 $190

AJ Retro 7 Blk/Blue/Mult 705350 007 $190

AJ Retro 5 Wht/Blk/Silv 136027 130 $190

AJ Retro XX Blk/Stealth/Red 310455 002 $220

Last edited:
Aiight so, GS has risen to $130, and will rise to $140 for "remastered", men has risen to $185, and will rise to $190 for "remastered" smaller sizes price has risen too (will get check to see if releases carry over to smaller sizes) will post prices once I check again, GS does have more releases than men (as of right now for '15 GS has more releases aside from the "remastered", I'll post them once I take another look)

Release dates haven't popped in yet, so take the ones floating around lightly (although they just may be correct) although I do have a few

indifferent.gif

hulk7280 hulk7280
aksuited aksuited
What do you think is a fair price for 20+ year old shoes that get made cheaper and cheaper over and over? Y'all are the reason for the prices rising much more than inflation! As long as "just 20 more dollars" is your mind frame increases will continue every year for several consecutive years as it has already!

@hulk7280
@AKsuited
What do you think is a fair price for 20+ year old shoes that get made cheaper and cheaper over and over? Y'all are the reason for the prices rising much more than inflation! As long as "just 20 more dollars" is your mind frame increases will continue every year for several consecutive years as it has already!
No one believes you. You need more exclamation marks.

Son said a relief... I'm laughing right along with Jordan N'emm! This thread is Comic Relief 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SNeakers are expensive breh. Like I said maybe you should just dip out and save yourself some stress. 20 bucks has you all stressed out. LOL.

q19B9.gif

Repped young god :pimp:

$190 it is, huh?

aksuited aksuited
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You more worried about me than I am about you... Trust me dude I'm far from stressed! Sneakers are only expensive because people are stupid enough to pay the expensive price! One day you will become a man and understand this until then... Go relieve yourself!

Last edited:
I'm chlling. 200 aint nothin for sneakers these days. You're the one fighting the good fight all day. LOLOLOL.

Back
Top Bottom