Jordan Retro 1 OG Royal returns April 1 2017

Why is it that out of every 9 GR Retros released that sit and/or head to outlets/landfills there is always that one release that is insanely difficult to cop... Is it that people honestly simply don't want 90% of retros that are released?

Why is it that out of every 9 GR Retros released that sit and/or head to outlets/landfills there is always that one release that is insanely difficult to cop... Is it that people honestly simply don't want 90% of retros that are released?
the latter, nike/JB raising the prices up to almost 200 for retro/retro+ BEFORE tax and coming out with some garbage CWs. 

People are being more choosy with what they buy, especially with drops every week and other brands picking up steam. Hard to keep up and if you know it's going to sit why pay retail if you can catch it on sale. I'd rather have it this way then go back to the days where every retro sold out almost immediately

Speaking in regards of the rising price of jordans, in this kind of hobby being a sneaker head it aint cheap. Nike as usual trying to make imaginably large profits with shoes still being made in China. But what can you do? Find a different career that pays more, hustle harder or just not buy any at all. Since January I've have spent over $1500. I just love sneakers, what an crazy obsession can get you into. Every shoes has a story.

People are being more choosy with what they buy, especially with drops every week and other brands picking up steam. Hard to keep up and if you know it's going to sit why pay retail if you can catch it on sale. I'd rather have it this way then go back to the days where every retro sold out almost immediately

Right but isn't the problem also with JB/Nike not making pairs that anyone wants? Those city pack 10s have been sitting for almost a year now.. A YEAR. Maybe if JB/Nike could put out more shoes like these Royals, they would sell more shoes and we would actually buy them.

Yes. JB massively overestimated their brand's value and underestimated their customer's taste. Only the classics are worth a damn and thats because of the Nike branding. We like those Jordans because theyre a shoe designed by Nike for Jordan. Now theyre jordans by Jordan. Some might be cool with that but im betting most people think its wack. Especially when they started rebranding the classics. Eventually they went back on it, the correct branding comes back and low and behold no one wants the cheaper looking non NA jordans.

JB's response? Double down on the jumpman, release a wack new colorway every weekend and keep the NA classics to a minimum. Instead of rejuvenation i sense regret and resentment from them.

The correct response wouldve been to cut the cornball kicks to a minimum and double down on the classic NA pairs that are remaining. Instead of suede blue and red 5s or more jumpman 4s no one asked for make 3 or 4 times more pairs of surefire hits like Royals or BC 3s. In short, JB does best when they keep it real. They come up short everytime they dont. Some marketing wizard clearly told them awhile back that they need to create a strong brand identity ( im looking at you gentry), when all they need to do is focus on staying true to the original classics. Make them how theyre supposed to look and the brand will be around forever. Keep pumping out this generic kid s##t and watch the brand's value climb for a quick second then dip into irrelevance. Respect is everything.

Last edited:
Right but isn't the problem also with JB/Nike not making pairs that anyone wants? Those city pack 10s have been sitting for almost a year now.. A YEAR. Maybe if JB/Nike could put out more shoes like these Royals, they would sell more shoes and we would actually buy them.
Yeah, every now and the JB has a completely dud but they still make more money off them if they hit outlets and go for dirty cheap. On the same hand I know when I first heard city pack I thought. Job was gonna drop the OG's and then it wasn't I was disappointed. The NYC is the one that did the most because it was as close as some people were going to get to OVO's.

JB knows what they are doing, keep the classics cooking and they will be fine.

still dont get why they dont mass produce the popular og colorways and limit the other colorways

does nike want somebody shot dead over these shoes? all these weirdos we got in the world something ignorant is bound to happen just mass produce. they wont sit even if 600 thousand pairs were made

You dont understand it because it doesnt make any sense business-wise. JB has this fear of shutting down once the hype dies so they let that idea influence their decisions but it only results in everyone involved getting sold short.

JB needs to realize that if they make 2 million pairs of Royals fans will just buy 2 or 3 pairs, not wait til they go on sale. Theres nothing to be afraid of on their part but they insist on holding back for this precious hype they want. The hype was established when the man did what he did in them though. And thanks to the time machine called YouTube it isnt going anywhere anytime soon. (Obviously not royals in particular but you know)

Last edited:
I said the exact same thing pages ago & it was chalked up to the usual "JB's just keeping their hype up". Like y'all mentioned it makes zero sense to limit shoes that are gonna sell out regardless then turn around & make a million pairs of a cw that's gonna sit. You're losing out on cash. If these were readily available I can guarantee damn near all of us in here would go for at least 2.

I said the exact same thing pages ago & it was chalked up to the usual "JB's just keeping their hype up". Like y'all mentioned it makes zero sense to limit shoes that are gonna sell out regardless then turn around & make a million pairs of a cw that's gonna sit. You're losing out on cash. If these were readily available I can guarantee damn near all of us in here would go for at least 2.
might be true. But then when they come back in a few years the hype won´t be as big as it is now.

Nike has to walk a fine line between making the most cash and securing that the interest in the shoe is still there. Plus if they "kill" Royals for the next few years by releasing a ton of them now it may hurt other 1 releases as well.

They'll probably losing out on money if they got rid of "excess" CWs, there's still a profit to be made from them.

Years back, it seemed it was like every year was dedicated to a certain retro model, now JB is just throwing any and everything possible at the consumer.

Not sure what should they do, but wouldn't be surprised if they started cutting back on releases like they announced years back.

You dont understand it because it doesnt make any sense business-wise. JB has this fear of shutting down once the hype dies so they let that idea influence their decisions but it only results in everyone involved getting sold short.

JB needs to realize that if they make 2 million pairs of Royals fans will just buy 2 or 3 pairs, not wait til they go on sale. Theres nothing to be afraid of on their part but they insist on holding back for this precious hype they want. The hype was established when the man did what he did in them though. And thanks to the time machine called YouTube it isnt going anywhere anytime soon. (Obviously not royals in particular but you know)

But having so many CWs sit on shelves kills that same hype. Hilariously, Adidas saw Nike doing this and even limited production on models like GR UBs.

You have to keep people interested in what you're doing-as another poster said, Retros were initially sold on the interest that came with MJ wearing them. Nowadays, Retros are more of a streetwear staple than a basketball one but that interest will start to die if the market gets grossly over-saturated.

Last edited:
Yes. JB massively overestimated their brand's value and underestimated their customer's taste. Only the classics are worth a damn and thats because of the Nike branding. We like those Jordans because theyre a shoe designed by Nike for Jordan. Now theyre jordans by Jordan. Some might be cool with that but im betting most people think its wack. Especially when they started rebranding the classics. Eventually they went back on it, the correct branding comes back and low and behold no one wants the cheaper looking non NA jordans.

JB's response? Double down on the jumpman, release a wack new colorway every weekend and keep the NA classics to a minimum. Instead of rejuvenation i sense regret and resentment from them.

The correct response wouldve been to cut the cornball kicks to a minimum and double down on the classic NA pairs that are remaining. Instead of suede blue and red 5s or more jumpman 4s no one asked for make 3 or 4 times more pairs of surefire hits like Royals or BC 3s. In short, JB does best when they keep it real. They come up short everytime they dont. Some marketing wizard clearly told them awhile back that they need to create a strong brand identity ( im looking at you gentry), when all they need to do is focus on staying true to the original classics. Make them how theyre supposed to look and the brand will be around forever. Keep pumping out this generic kid s##t and watch the brand's value climb for a quick second then dip into irrelevance. Respect is everything.

Repped. I hope Nike/JB sees your comment.. I don't understand why they release so many bad cws/releases.

My guess is they make so much money, the people at the top who sign off on Mango 9s and Rare Air 1s are grossly overpaid for their jobs and don't actually care that much about the products they put out. To be fair, you probably see this in a lot of big, successful companies but it's simply more evident with a company like Nike/JB because there has actually been a culture (retro collecting) built around it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom