JORDAN SHOE NICKNAMES when did it start?

I'm old and I don't remember Jordan shoes having nicknames, for example "Bordeaux" or "Grapes."   Back in the day we just called those the ugly 7s or the ugly 5s.   I'm just curious on how this nickname thing got started and who actually comes up with these names.  

Originally Posted by Kaz Fury206

I'm old and I don't remember Jordan shoes having nicknames, for example "Bordeaux" or "Grapes."   Back in the day we just called those the ugly 7s or the ugly 5s.   I'm just curious on how this nickname thing got started and who actually comes up with these names.  
35b36ee16343c791b0b1cca84156e3886e3d82bc_r.gif

indifferent.gif
, hate this as well..... i think it just had something to do with convos & making it easier to know what your talking about.

i really can't stand for all these new name for the old playoffs, like what are bugs bunnies? or wolf grey 5's? hate everything about it

Originally Posted by Kaz Fury206

I'm old and I don't remember Jordan shoes having nicknames, for example "Bordeaux" or "Grapes."   Back in the day we just called those the ugly 7s or the ugly 5s.
I lol'd. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But in all seriousness, I think people have done this since the 90's and it's simpler to do so.

Instead of calling them the "White / Emerald Green – Grape Ice V," it's simpler to just say "Grapes" or "Grape V."

Or the "black/light graphite-bordeaux VII." "Bordeauxs" or "Bordeauxs VII" are simpler.

I don't really mind the different names. If it's a name I've never heard of though, I just like to question the thought process of the nickname.

I remember nicknames since I started wearing jordans which was in 90.  Without the internet I am sure some of the names were regional.  I can remember some specific nicknames for colorways but more so for models, for example around me they were the reflector tongues, or pull tongues, bugs bunnys, carpet tongues.  

The nickname debate will never go away. But I've learned to deal with it and realize that it's not changing...No matter how much I attempt to swerve the opinions of people.

The ONLY nicknames that are acceptable to me are the ones that use an actual "official colorway" in the name (i.e. Bordeux, Carmines, Stealths, Concords etc...) and a few that were specifically named after something (i.e. Space Jams, Laney V's)

All the other ones I don't care for..."Raptors" are by far the worst with "Bred" coming in a close second.

Originally Posted by ijapino

The nickname debate will never go away. But I've learned to deal with it and realize that it's not changing...No matter how much I attempt to swerve the opinions of people.

The ONLY nicknames that are acceptable to me are the ones that use an actual "official colorway" in the name (i.e. Bordeux, Carmines, Stealths, Concords etc...) and a few that were specifically named after something (i.e. Space Jams, Laney V's)

All the other ones I don't care for..."Raptors" are by far the worst with "Bred" coming in a close second.

This....all of it..........last sentence especially.

Originally Posted by ijapino

I agree with this.

I would like to add "Candy Canes" as the worst.

Nicknames for me are just a shorthand way to identify a shoe, like the "Last Shots" 14, or the "True Blue" 3s.

Some nicknames stemmed from the colorway
Code:
 while others, like ijapino said, came from moments in Jordans career, like the Playoff 12s, or Olympic 7s.

The only ones that get me is where people try to hard to create a nickname for a shoe just cause, like KMante said, the Candy Canes.

All in all, nicknames are "cool" and help market the shoe better when you place a name to it.

Hence people hyping up just a bit more because they have a name.

alot of ya hating da nicknames gonna front like NYC aint been calling da VIII's bugs bunnies since 1993.....

xfile 11 wrote:
I remember nicknames since I started wearing jordans which was in 90.  Without the internet I am sure some of the names were regional.  I can remember some specific nicknames for colorways but more so for models, for example around me they were the reflector tongues, or pull tongues, bugs bunnys, carpet tongues.  

Yeah... most hood cats still just call the shoe by its most obvious and distinguishing characteristic
laugh.gif

Here is a lil list just for fun...

1s - "First Js" or the "Jays with the Swoosh" or the "Jays that look like Forces"

2s - "Second Jays" or the Jays without a Swoosh or Jumpman

3s - Jays with the sidewalk pattern

4s -  Jays with the sidewalk pattern... no, no, not those... the ones that came out after those... with the straps on the ankles

5s - Jays with the reflective tongue

6s - Jays with the big 23 on the side

7s - "Jays with the 'mountains' on the sole"... Yes im 100% serious, cats at my school actually described these that way
indifferent.gif

8s - "Jays with the carpet tongue"

9s - "Jays with the Chinese sole" or back in the day the "Tupac Jordans"

10s - "Jays with the striped sole"

11s -  "Patent leather Jays"  now everyone calls them SpaceJams regardless of the colorway

12s - I dont actually recall a Hood nickname for these

13s - "Hologram Jays"

14s - "Ferrari Jays"

15s- "The Ugly Jays with the pointy tongue"

16s - "The Jays with the removable cover"

17s - "The Jays with the removable cover... No, no, not those the other ones ones... with the suitcase... The $200 dollar Jays"

18s - "The Jays with the telephone on the heel" 
laugh.gif
  Yes Im serious.  I also remember people calling Air-Max Plus "The Nikes with the telephone on the sole"

19s - "Fingertrap Jordans"

20s - I remember people calling these "The Mars Jordans" and the "Spike Lee Jordans" before the Spizike became so popular.

21s - Dont recall a name for these either

22s - "The color changing Jays"

23s - The last "real" Jays

Originally Posted by ninjahood

alot of ya hating da nicknames gonna front like NYC aint been calling da VIII's bugs bunnies since 1993.....
sick.gif
didn't know they were called that until I saw dat sneakerwatch w/ french.

wore them the other day
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

xfile 11 wrote:

Yeah... most hood cats still just call the shoe by its most obvious and distinguishing characteristic
laugh.gif

huh?

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Calm down, ny aint the be all end all.

ROBPZEE612 wrote:
dankenstien88 wrote:
xfile 11 wrote:

laugh.gif

huh?

You never noticed ?  

The entire sillhouette of the VI is a giant "23".       Just like how the MoreUptempo has a giant "AIR" incorporated in the design.

Originally Posted by ROBPZEE612

xfile 11 wrote:

laugh.gif

huh?
i second that.. i dont see no big 23 on the side of the 6s.. or am i missing something.

Originally Posted by mrlongong

Originally Posted by ROBPZEE612

laugh.gif

huh?
i second that.. i dont see no big 23 on the side of the 6s.. or am i missing something.

laugh.gif
 You are DEF missing something.  

Its there... Intentionally. There is another 23 Tinker hid in the design of the VIs too...    Check out the soles. 

Spoiler [+]
 111um1nat1 ? 

^^^ I knew about the 23 on the side of the VIs but never knew about the soles. Nice! Learned something new today! Thanks Dankenstien88/NT!

Wait, how about the left shoe?? Wouldn't that be 32 or a reverse 23??

Originally Posted by KMante

Wait, how about the left shoe?? Wouldn't that be 32 or a reverse 23??

Lateral side of the right shoe, medial side of the left.
Aight I gotcha. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom