Jordan XI Jubilee Holiday 2020

That's interesting. I wonder how you become a shoe authenticator for eBay? Like, exactly what resumé or qualifications prove you are fit to serve as eBay's last line of defense?
Would absolutely love to know their answer to this. I have had my Fire Reds and my buddies Uni 9s go through this "authentication process" . Is that not why we have all the pics the seller provides available? I get it with SX. But not ebay. Shipping takes forever now.
My little process is simply this. Find the pair you choose, inspect for the slightest flaw knowing there authentic as is, find that flaw as soon as you get your pair. Thats how I know I have the pair pictured. To me this is ebays way to make shoes even more expensive to buy there.
Your same question can also be asked of the likes of SX or Goat. What qualifications are there? Is there a test? Not all "sneakerheads" are in to the same shoes.

Last edited:
Would absolutely love to know their answer to this. I have had my Fire Reds and my buddies Uni 9s go through this "authentication process" . Is that not why we have all the pics the seller provides available? I get it with SX. But not ebay. Shipping takes forever now.
My little process is simply this. Find the pair you choose, inspect for the slightest flaw knowing there authentic as is, find that flaw as soon as you get your pair. Thats how I know I have the pair pictured. To me this is ebays way to make shoes even more expensive to buy there.
Your same question can also be asked of the likes of SX or Goat. What qualifications are there? Is there a test? Not all "sneakerheads" are in to the same shoes.
this question also gets brought up for designer brands (louis vuitton, gucci, chanel, etc) with luxury consigners and resellers eg therealreal, fashionphile, etc. the short answer is that it's technically impossible for anyone who isn't the designing house to keep track of every model and variation of everything they put out. there's certain popular items that a lot of people can have "high confidence" of authenticity by virtue of having handled so many of them over the years and keeping up with the latest changes (even "classic" styles in the same colourways get tiny, nearly imperceivable updates over the years, even season to season, sometimes varying by region of production--think lv speedy/keepall bags, chanel classic flaps--their general shape hasn't changed in decades but they've changed the stitching patterns, batches of plastic-coated canvas vary a lot, the hardware tones and weight change every so often, leather supplies vary on a season-to-season basis, etc. etc. etc.)

these houses (and likely nike/jb for that matter) don't have any form of authentication services provided in-house, because a) there's no money to be made doing so and b) at a certain point, it becomes infeasible, even impossible, without certain information; if you tear out date codes and what not, how would they even know what to compare it to?

this question also gets brought up for designer brands (louis vuitton, gucci, chanel, etc) with luxury consigners and resellers eg therealreal, fashionphile, etc. the short answer is that it's technically impossible for anyone who isn't the designing house to keep track of every model and variation of everything they put out. there's certain popular items that a lot of people can have "high confidence" of authenticity by virtue of having handled so many of them over the years and keeping up with the latest changes (even "classic" styles in the same colourways get tiny, nearly imperceivable updates over the years, even season to season, sometimes varying by region of production--think lv speedy/keepall bags, chanel classic flaps--their general shape hasn't changed in decades but they've changed the stitching patterns, batches of plastic-coated canvas vary a lot, the hardware tones and weight change every so often, leather supplies vary on a season-to-season basis, etc. etc. etc.)

these houses (and likely nike/jb for that matter) don't have any form of authentication services provided in-house, because a) there's no money to be made doing so and b) at a certain point, it becomes infeasible, even impossible, without certain information; if you tear out date codes and what not, how would they even know what to compare it to?
In other words, your not qualified unless you were a part of a production process directly. Or a consumer that studies the differences to the enth degree. Which will always be questionable imo. People are always quick to jump to the "its off" quote with no reasoning behind it. How the hell do certain characteristics of releases that are fake match the next years real pairs? I truly believe pairs made from one year to the next come from factories that will suck on Nikes *** to get the contract to make them. Thats why these fakes are so good. The same factories are all in bed with each other. And Nike gets all the benefits.

The people behind Sneakercon are doing the authentication. I don’t anymore than that. I don’t know how “accredited” they are.

As for this new system, as a seller it gives many confidence to sell an expensive pair of shoes. Many sellers stopped messing with eBay because of the infamous buyer scams. With 3rd party authentication that is eliminated (with new shoes at least). It will protect buyers and sellers but mainly sellers from buyer scams. As a buyer you still have the power on eBay with the full money back guarantee but I’m not sure how that works with the new authentication service.

Now I’m not sure if this will be forced on sellers once they start charging for it or not. It will be interesting to see how this plays out regardless.

I have a few pairs now from this new system and I was really disappointed to see my authentication report read via the nfc tag to have no “detailed information” like eBay claimed to have for you.

There’s no Nike certification for authentication so nobody knows the level of knowledge StockX or Goat or anyone has afaik. We just trust StockX and Goat for some reason. Who knows about Sneakercon?

I trust ME at this point. And Ebay gives me the best chance to do that. If I get it wrong, I can accept it.
You really only can trust yourself. That’s why I learn everything I can about fakes.

Pretty sure I’m seeing some people listing shoes as used to get around the authenticator btw.

In other words, your not qualified unless you were a part of a production process directly. Or a consumer that studies the differences to the enth degree. Which will always be questionable imo. People are always quick to jump to the "its off" quote with no reasoning behind it. How the hell do certain characteristics of releases that are fake match the next years real pairs? I truly believe pairs made from one year to the next come from factories that will suck on Nikes *** to get the contract to make them. Thats why these fakes are so good. The same factories are all in bed with each other. And Nike gets all the benefits.

there’s a rumour in the fake community that when nike or adidas or whatever big brand name puts out an order for a new shoe production run, a bunch of different factories will see the spec sheet and try to build a prototype to compete for the contract for the whole run, ie a lot of fake producers were contenders for an authentic production run who didnt get picked for one reason or another, which is why you’ll see super accurate details on fakes months before a shoe even drops

there’s a rumour in the fake community that when nike or adidas or whatever big brand name puts out an order for a new shoe production run, a bunch of different factories will see the spec sheet and try to build a prototype to compete for the contract for the whole run, ie a lot of fake producers were contenders for an authentic production run who didnt get picked for one reason or another, which is why you’ll see super accurate details on fakes months before a shoe even drops
All of that is wrong....

Most UA products are made right with the "authentic batch" just at a different time and slightly different place....

They receive the same prototypes of the shoes and make replicas of said shoes with the best materials they have which is usually the same exact materials being used across the street at the "authentic sweat shop" ....

The question I have is when ebay starts charging for authentication, as a buyer, if you decline the service and determine they're fake on your own, will they decline a claim stating that you should have purchased the auth service. No way I'm paying for authentication; I can do that just fine myself...

as far as the factories go, yeah I could believe just about anything. I work with Cisco Systems equipment and was blown away to see the level of accuracy of the fake Cisco transceivers. The same resistors and capacitors in the exact same location. I mean exactly the same except the quality. Some of the fakes will be DOA. I guess the difference is only in QC testing. And even have duplicate serial numbers. Crazy ****. Again legit and fake Cisco both made in China.
The question I have is when ebay starts charging for authentication, as a buyer, if you decline the service and determine they're fake on your own, will they decline a claim stating that you should have purchased the auth service. No way I'm paying for authentication; I can do that just fine myself...
Yeah as of now I’m fine with waiting a little longer as a buyer since the service is free. But when they start charging money I feel the same as you. I’ve been authenticating my own stuff because you really can’t trust anyone. Some releases have some really really accurate fakes out there like the 2019 bred 11s and the 2019 bc4. Which is disturbing that they have clearly stepped up their game. A game that was already good.

But maybe eBay is trying to address the rampant buyer scams that ran off a ton of sellers. Nobody including me would risk selling an expensive pair of shoes on eBay because of it. That was a huge problem. And still will be for used shoes.

That's a great question. I can see it going a few ways with what they will end up doing.

TBH, as I'm in product management, if it were my product, I'd say that they should decline any claims of fake shoes for those who don't purchase the auth service. As a user I would HATE that, but from a business perspective, that would be the most logical approach given this new auth service. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

The people behind Sneakercon are doing the authentication. I don’t anymore than that. I don’t know how “accredited” they are.

As for this new system, as a seller it gives many confidence to sell an expensive pair of shoes. Many sellers stopped messing with eBay because of the infamous buyer scams. With 3rd party authentication that is eliminated (with new shoes at least). It will protect buyers and sellers but mainly sellers from buyer scams. As a buyer you still have the power on eBay with the full money back guarantee but I’m not sure how that works with the new authentication service.

Now I’m not sure if this will be forced on sellers once they start charging for it or not. It will be interesting to see how this plays out regardless.

it's not like Buyer Scam Protection didn't exist before. that was the other purpose of Paypal before. probably the reason for authentication was to minimize the dispute or complaints of fraudulent transactions. but then again, the lingering questions still remain regarding it's effectiveness or additional cost for such security.

as far as the factories go, yeah I could believe just about anything. I work with Cisco Systems equipment and was blown away to see the level of accuracy of the fake Cisco transceivers. The same resistors and capacitors in the exact same location. I mean exactly the same except the quality. Some of the fakes will be DOA. I guess the difference is only in QC testing. And even have duplicate serial numbers. Crazy ****. Again legit and fake Cisco both made in China.

Yeah as of now I’m fine with waiting a little longer as a buyer since the service is free. But when they start charging money I feel the same as you. I’ve been authenticating my own stuff because you really can’t trust anyone. Some releases have some really really accurate fakes out there like the 2019 bred 11s and the 2019 bc4. Which is disturbing that they have clearly stepped up their game. A game that was already good.

But maybe eBay is trying to address the rampant buyer scams that ran off a ton of sellers. Nobody including me would risk selling an expensive pair of shoes on eBay because of it. That was a huge problem. And still will be for used shoes.

some people here still don't believe or in denial that products can be as good as the retail version. so the question, will the product be still considered as fake if they use the same materials and blueprints? honestly, the difference that we see now most of the time are the factories which manufactured them and the stores that distribute or sell them. the other difference is those unauthorized manufacturers probably using cheaper labor and not paying taxes. of course there are still obvious fakes out there or bad fakes, but the UAs or perfect copies are just too close to call. some people are mad because others are now getting pairs that they believe they only possess exclusively or pay more for vanity which is dumb. man, I wouldn't frown upon it if means we could get some cool colorways or PEs that we mere mortals won't ever get if we stuck ourselves with authorized retailers.

It's really more about the price and knowledge. Passing something off as authentic that's not, whether or not it's of the same calibre is the problem. Tell people it's fake/not authentic/whatever, then charge a price that reflects the savings of going direct without all of the markups. That's the rub. I agree that many of these are quit good quality and arguably better for some releases. But if I'm paying "authentic" prices, I'd better get a "real" pair.

It's really more about the price and knowledge. Passing something off as authentic that's not, whether or not it's of the same calibre is the problem. Tell people it's fake/not authentic/whatever, then charge a price that reflects the savings of going direct without all of the markups. That's the rub. I agree that many of these are quit good quality and arguably better for some releases. But if I'm paying "authentic" prices, I'd better get a "real" pair.
If you are paying for the same price,same quality and being available for purchase, I'd go for the official retail. The "real" word for me though is debatable.

it's not like Buyer Scam Protection didn't exist before. that was the other purpose of Paypal before. probably the reason for authentication was to minimize the dispute or complaints of fraudulent transactions. but then again, the lingering questions still remain regarding it's effectiveness or additional cost for such security.
Dude, sellers technically had protection but it didn’t hold up. Sellers were completely at the mercy of the fraudulent buyers. COMPLETELY. The only way the buyer scam wouldn’t work is if the buyer was an idiot.
some people here still don't believe or in denial that products can be as good as the retail version. so the question, will the product be still considered as fake if they use the same materials and blueprints? honestly, the difference that we see now most of the time are the factories which manufactured them and the stores that distribute or sell them. the other difference is those unauthorized manufacturers probably using cheaper labor and not paying taxes. of course there are still obvious fakes out there or bad fakes, but the UAs or perfect copies are just too close to call. some people are mad because others are now getting pairs that they believe they only possess exclusively or pay more for vanity which is dumb. man, I wouldn't frown upon it if means we could get some cool colorways or PEs that we mere mortals won't ever get if we stuck ourselves with authorized retailers.
Even the high quality replicas or “UAs” that APPEAR to have better quality, sometimes the glue they use has a bad smell so you don’t get that nice new shoe smell. And how do we know the midsoles are made with the same materials/tech? That’s the thing we don’t know anything. You really don’t know what you’re getting.

For instance, the FOG 1 high quality reps. The latest PK “batch” of the Light Bone colorway, doesn’t get the shape right but does get the collar height right which most FOG reps don’t get right. Anyway, my point is the midsole tech is COMPLETELY different than the retail authentic pairs. It feels WAY softer and not as responsive.

Dude, sellers technically had protection but it didn’t hold up. Sellers were completely at the mercy of the fraudulent buyers. COMPLETELY. The only way the buyer scam wouldn’t work is if the buyer was an idiot.

Even the high quality replicas or “UAs” that APPEAR to have better quality, sometimes the glue they use has a bad smell so you don’t get that nice new shoe smell. And how do we know the midsoles are made with the same materials/tech? That’s the thing we don’t know anything. You really don’t know what you’re getting.

For instance, the FOG 1 high quality reps. The latest PK “batch” of the Light Bone colorway, doesn’t get the shape right but does get the collar height right which most FOG reps don’t get right. Anyway, my point is the midsole tech is COMPLETELY different than the retail authentic pairs. It feels WAY softer and not as responsive.

regarding the midsole, I don't know but from what I have seen, reps do have batches as well, and bad ones which I think felt like wearing cardboards, some felt light, some felt bricks and some felt pretty much similar. the dilemma now is how do authenticators measure the feeling/sensation difference? it is very difficult to distinguish authentic sneakers now. without the tell-tell glue smell (which I believe was a deliberate identifier), certain color variation and others, people really wouldn't know. just saying that identifying a product wouldn't hold long by methods that are being used now. personally, I don't think that a massively produced item would have a copy-proof identifier for consumer satisfaction. the only safety measure that for the most part in general to buy an authentic product is to buy them directly from the maker themselves, then again qc issues still happens in authentic products so there isn't really a perfect system. with everything being out-sourced to China, it doesn't make much difference now than it was back then. in fairness, to shoe makers now (authentic or reps), they did improve a lot.

Ordered my 2nd pair from eBay yesterday as an order I placed on RD was finally refunded. Seller uploaded a tracking number but never dropped the shoes off at fed ex. This will be pair number 3 of these as is my custom for 11 mids. Was lucky to get one from DSG at retail. Pairs 2 and 3 have been from the bay. 270 plus tax shipped on rd and 262 plus tax for the new pair. Not ideal but also could have been much worse. If people are looking to double up, now is the time, these will only go up from here.

Wore these two days in a row. I wish that I would've went up a .5 size, but other than that, they're comfy:
20210112_174223.jpg

Some people drink that “UA” kool-aid hard. No, the fakes are never “the same or better.” Maybe one aspect of the shoe is “better,” but they always - always - skimp out on overall quality. But I’m not going to waste my time arguing. Ultimately you get what you pay for.

not always. the fake game has changed man.

travis 1 can pass the authentication apps until you take out the insole and look at stitching.

chicago dunks....better quality and craftsmanship than retail. without question.

it all depends on the factory and shoe. yeah are there trash versions? of course.

as for factories all vying for a contract....false.

all the legit factories sell/give their supplier info to the fake factories. thats why they have the exact textured & colored leathers, suede, soles, etc.

people get fooled by these damn instagrammers and youtubers all day tho. and give em props no less. perfect example is adapt jordan 11. how many early release flexes were there? no fakes of them thats why.

Back
Top Bottom