Leaked audio of Donald Sterling telling his girlfriend "Don't bring black people to my games"

Floyd is my dude, but he shouldn't be allowed to own the team based on things he's said. Stick to the priniciple, and owners should be held to a higher standard.

word, love the guy, but his commentary and transgressions outside of the boxing ring are inexcusable.

he should be held to the same standard.

C'mon Floyd :smh:, focus on Maidana not this nonsense.

Damn near everyone in the League & Media is singing his praises for administering this "Lifetime Ban". The consensus is Sterling is out let's get back focused on the business of the NBA. Not saying that Silver didn't attempt to do something but let's be real hear there is no cause for celebration.

Throughout the League their are people clamoring how proud they are to be part of this NBA family & how much of an impeccable job was done.... when in truth the only thing that has changed is Sterling is going to collect his checks from a distance rather than front row (his wife now occupies those seats)
Hero is a big word for someone that was force to take action.

And ... Even if he wasn't force how the **** is he seen as a hero?? I think you are putting words in people's mouth. This dude aint no hero ......
People have been applauding the actions Silver took. Like you said he was forced to take them so he really deserves little to no praise.

If the punishment was anything less than what he doled out, there would have been an uproar and a legitimate reason for players to strike.

@tyisny
and @Miniojw
thanks for clarifying. I get what you're saying but I don't agree with being upset with them for not striking. Sure it would've been a nice gesture and they would've been publicly applauded for it. It would've been the feel-good black moment of the year so far. But ultimately it would have only lead to that which happened without a strike while screwing themselves, the NBA and NBA sponsors out of millions of dollars in revenue. It would have been largely pointless because it would be forgotten within months. They probably would have pissed off more people by striking than they did by not striking. And they don't need to persuade Donald to sell the team. I believe that the commissioner can do it for him as long as the owners vote him out. He does pocket the money from the sale though but there was no way a billionaire was going to monetarily lose much in this situation.
With that said your not clearly understanding my point... the biggest thing that could of came from them sitting out the games is the showcase of unity and people speaking out against factors that are wrong. It would have created a precedent for people to take imediate action and see results because of it.

Instead nothing was said on their part, they kept "quiet" & "corporate" and now Donald Sterling "Owning" the team is going to be a long drawn out process & i'm sure of that. One the NBA can control and spin at their own pace, Had they sat out the playoffs the NBA would be rushing to make sure demands were met simply because the integrity of the league would be at risk and more importantly = NO Players = No Fans = No Playoff income being brought in.

Also you said that it would last a few months.... well that is ideal considering ESPN is already fresh at print with a story of a college kid stealing crab legs (Their is also no alleged used when describing this action but that's a whole other topic)
I understand you perfectly. If anything you're not understanding me. I'm saying any beliefs you have that a strike would have lead to more than what has already happened are unrealistic and a strike itself was unnecessary. Here's how it would have gone:

They would have striked. People would have publicly supported them and praised them. Silver would hand out the exact same punishment. The players would have gone back to playing and in no more than 3 months America would have moved on. That's it. The exact same result derived from more extreme measures.

"But Based Jesus, this could've been a showcase of unity and people speaking out against factors that are wrong!" They showed unity and they symbolically spoke out against factors that were wrong. Could they have done more than turned their shirts inside out? Hell yes but a strike was not the answer. You don't bring a halt to the operations of a billion dollar organization that you work for out of pointless idealism. Especially when the point can be made differently.

"But Based Jesus, them showing us that we do have the power isn't pointless!" If it doesn't have any lasting effects then yes it is pointless. Tough to hear and even tougher to accept but that's the truth. This wasn't going to be some landmark event. This was going to be something that most people would simply dismiss as soon as it was resolved. Something we already see happening. Those who already weren't, would not have begun to start demanding social change or speaking out against injustice and bigotry because of this.

Now if Silver didn't announce that he was going to attempt to terminate his ownership then they should have striked. If the owners don't vote him out then they should strike. America finding out that the owner of an NBA franchise is a racist is not grounds for striking. You don't demand that someone shut down an organization that they work for because one member, albeit a member in a position of power, is a bigot when they could simply have the guy fired and you don't find fault in them when they don't, because it is quite honestly a ridiculous request. It's not worth it to anyone involved to throw away all that money to prove a point that doesn't need to be made in such a fashion. You don't bite the hand that feeds you cuz there's some dirt under one of the fingernails.

What about Jay Z's medallion, or Spike Lee's views of white people? Blacks are gods and whites are evil? White gentrification, interracial dating? No investigation?

Kobe's and Stoudemire's anti-gay slurs? Pacers in 2004, Arenas and Crittenton? Sprewell? JR Smith? I'm only touching on a few but there were far greater crimes and allegations within the NBA which only results in fines and suspensions.

The only reason Sterling is gone is media-driven hysteria over a private tape release. It certainly isn't the NBA’s high moral standard with regard to language, race, or activity. And that is more of a commentary on the culture of the NBA and the lack of standards in the media than anything else.

The NBA is filled with issues and crimes far, far greater than stupid racist comments like Sterling made.

We now live in a world in which racial feelings are more important than racist acts and in which bad thought trumps bad action.

What about Jay Z's medallion, or Spike Lee's views of white people? Blacks are gods and whites are evil? White gentrification, interracial dating? No investigation?

Kobe's and Stoudemire's anti-gay slurs? Pacers in 2004, Arenas and Crittenton? Sprewell? JR Smith? I'm only touching on a few but there were far greater crimes and allegations within the NBA which only results in fines and suspensions.

The only reason Sterling is gone is media-driven hysteria over a private tape release. It certainly isn't the NBA’s high moral standard with regard to language, race, or activity. And that is more of a commentary on the culture of the NBA and the lack of standards in the media than anything else.

The NBA is filled with issues and crimes far, far greater than stupid racist comments like Sterling made.

We now live in a world in which racial feelings are more important than racist acts and in which bad thought trumps bad action.

:stoneface: :stoneface:

some people are sooooooooooooooo hurt over this. I mean people who ENSLAVED a race for a lot of ******* years and then say "GET OVER IT" are DEVILS

LIVE WITH IT....your privilege and this country was built on the backs of minorities......and not just blacks either......

and god bless the ones who aren't cause I don't wanna group em all together cause that's unfair 

Last edited:

I've long maintained Spike Lee and Jay-Z being hypocrites. Spike Lee attacks "hipsters" for gentrifying Brooklyn but big ups his "brother" Hov at all times, conveniently ignoring the fact that Hov played an integral role in the Barclays deal that caused widespread gentrification in the area.

Spike is a self-serving pseudo-activist. Same guy who personally I've heard speak to a congregation of black college students at ASU using a recycled speech he previously used for middle-schoolers and high-schoolers. Same guy who wouldn't even meet with the same black congregation of students afterwards to take pictures, students who were huge fans of his. Soon as the speech was over he jetted, probably with check in hand. He was rude and condescending throughout his speech.

And as far as Kobe and STAT go, they were both fined for their homophobic slurs. Like others have said, athletes are not role-models, and if you expect them to be, well they're some piss-poor role models if I've ever seen one.

I agree, while systematic racism occurs only to black and other minority groups, ignorance goes both ways. Anyone who can't see that is a cynical hypocrite.

Last edited:
The thing is we do live in this world where certain actions are far greater than others. There is really no point in trying to justify it. You can always wonder if Serling would have gotten the same penalties if he said something about Asians or even gays, but the fact is he said something about African Americans and you know that results in harsher punishments, especially if your core audience is of that race.

Nah there's some truth to what he said.

Everyone should be held to the same standard.

I agree. With something like this and in the NBA, you will definitely find some hypocrisy in a lot of how things are handled. But even in the justice system, no one type of arrest result in the same penalties across the board. So many things have to be taken into consideration and something like money and the color of your skin definitely change things. In a better world, everyone would be prosecuted according to the crime but unfortunately that world does not exist.

Nah there's some truth to what he said.

Everyone should be held to the same standard.
Whether there's some truth in what he said is irrelevant RIGHT NOW as none of those individuals or situations are on trial right now, but Donald Sterling and those that agree with him are.  It was a simple divert tactic that @JPEG was trying to use, and both it and he failed miserably. 

If he or you want to raise those concerns or address those individuals, I suggest you do it at a later date. Now's the time to talk about Donald Sterling, you understand.  Some of us out here that know the game aren't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe, you might have champ............but not the rest of us. 

Whether there's some truth in what he said is irrelevant RIGHT NOW as none of those individuals or situations are on trial right now, but Donald Sterling and those that agree with him are.  It was a simple divert tactic that @JPEG
was trying to use, and both it and he failed miserably. 

If he or you want to raise those concerns or address those individuals, I suggest you do it at a later date. Now's the time to talk about Donald Sterling, you understand.  Some of us out here that know the game aren't going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe, you might have champ............but not the rest of us. 

fair enough, i fell for it. still he brings up a valid argument. and honestly. some people will never give it the time of day. so save the "timing" talk.

it's like I'm hearing "I reserve the right to be ignorant". :smh:

do people want parity or do they want to be just as ignorant as guys like Sterling?

Last edited:
but this is where JPEG is wrong in his commentary,

Sterling isn't gone because of media driven outrage, or because of his recent commentary.

his punishment is a reflection of a history of racist commentary and discriminatory business practices.

he should've been dealt with a long time ago, this reaction was basically "enough is enough already".

just wanted to address that part, while again I think some of JPEGs thoughts are correct, that portion was erroneous.

At days end if you want change in the world, we as individuals, all of whom are accountable for our actions and thoughts, must personify that change. That goes for white, black, brown, yellow, green, purple and blue.

Last edited:
You didn't fall for anything bro.

According to the NBA calling a referee a "****ing ******" is a 100,000 fine with no suspension, however telling you're main squeeze to not bring black people to games is a 2.5 million dollar fine and permanent ban, and possibility losing your franchise.

You didn't fall for anything bro.

According to the NBA calling a referee a "****ing ******" is a 100,000 fine with no suspension, however telling you're main squeeze to not bring black people to games is a 2.5 million dollar fine and permanent ban, and possibility losing your franchise.

Again though, Sterling has a history of racism.

I mean he didn't rent property to black people because he said "black tenants smell and attract vermin".

He once said to Elgin Baylor that he wants to fill his team with "poor black boys from the south and a white head coach".

Comparing that to an isolated incident where Kobe yelled a slur to a referee is a bit of a reach. Again IMO Sterling's punishment reflected a cumulative history of racism.

Again I think some of what you said is correct, just disagree with the notion that Kobe's incident and the Sterling punishment are similar.

Last edited:
Yes that would have been an excellent example as to why Sterling should be thrown out, but the NBA didn't. Neither did the NAACP. But now of his 31 year old consort released a video tape of him saying racists things, the 'though police' have sprung into action- and the NBA has followed.

what about adrian peterson's modern day slavery thing?

what about them?

he made an ignorant comment and apologized for it.

you cannot compare these incidents where an athlete makes a singular ignorant remark to a serial life-long racist like Donald Sterling.

I'm all for parity, I'm all for equality, I think everyone should be held accountable for their actions and their words, however again a singular remark is in no way similar to a lifelong history of discrimination by a tycoon.

what about mayweather defending sterling?

you folks catch way way too much feelies about this audio. way too much.

i just don't understand it, and it doesn't matter, but if his hatred was that strong then why . . .

yall get the point. there's nothing to talk about already, and anything discussed is meaningless as we should now focus on what happens to the potential forced sale.

If you're racist or prejudice etc. no one cares. Hey, that's your thing.

BUT

When you're in a position of power over those people and do things like deny them housing, because "black people attract vermin," and because, "mexicans smoke and drink all day." That's when we have to care. Sterling is a horrible person and had it coming

Yesterday, NBA commissioner Adam Silver fined Sterling $2.5 million and suspended him for life from the league. He certainly has that power under the Constitution and By-laws. Under Article 24(l), the commissioner has the power to do that which is in his best judgment with regard to remedies not covered by the Constitution or By-laws:

Where a situation arises which is not covered in the Constitution and By-laws, the Commissioner shall have the authority to make such decision, including the imposition of a penalty, as in his judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. The penalty that may be assessed under the preceding two sentences may include, without limitation, a fine, suspension, and/or the forfeiture or assignment of draft choices. No monetary penalty fixed under this provision shall exceed $2,500,000.
Provision 35A(d) spells this out further:

The Commissioner shall have the power to suspend for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $1,000,000, or to inflict both such suspension and fine upon any person who, in his opinion, shall have been guilty of conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the Association.
In other words, Silver’s peremptory power is limited to Sterling’s suspension from the NBA and a fine of $2.5 million. It does not extend to booting him from ownership of his team. Furthermore, the association by-laws do not grant the power for owners to force Sterling to sell his team. Termination provisions can only be initiated for violation of specific rules, none of which include a prohibition on offensive or racist statements causing detriment to the NBA. Article 13 spells out these various crimes which would allow the famed 3/4 vote by owners to oust an owner:

(a) Willfully violate any of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws, resolutions, or agreements of the Association.
(b) Transfer or attempt to transfer a Membership or an interest in a Member without complying with the provisions of Article 5.
(c) Fail to pay any dues or other indebtedness owing to the Association within thirty (30) days after Written Notice from the Commissioner of default in such payment.
(d) Fail or refuse to fulfill its contractual obligations to the Association, its Members, Players, or any other third party in such a way as to affect the Association or its Members adversely.
(e) Wager or countenance wagering by its officers or employees on any game in which a Team operated by a Member of the Association participates.
(f) Willfully permit open betting, pool selling, or any other form of gambling upon any premises owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by the Member or an Owner, except, subject to Article 8(a), for gambling activities that are lawful in the applicable jurisdiction and do not involve in any way, directly or indirectly, gambling with respect to any aspect of the Association’s games, events, property, players, or other personnel.
(g) Offer, agree, conspire, or attempt to lose or control the score of any game participated in by a Team operated by a Member of the Association, or fail to suspend immediately any officer or any Player or other employee of the Member who shall be found guilty, in a court of law or in any hearing sanctioned by this Constitution and By- Laws, of offering, agreeing, conspiring, or attempting to lose or control the score of any such game or of being interested in any pool or wager on any game in which a Team operated by a Member of the Association participates.
(h) Disband its Team during the Season, dissolve its business, or cease its operation.
(i) Willfully fail to present its Team at the time and place it is scheduled to play in an Exhibition, Regular Season, or Playoff Game.
(j) Willfully misrepresent any material fact contained in its application for Membership in the Association.

None of these provisions have anything to do with Sterling’s racist statements. Were the owners to vote to terminate his ownership, he would sue, and he would win. The

NBA’s failure to make that clear to the media has resulted in the widespread perception that should Sterling maintain ownership, it will be due to the racism of the other owners. That is simply untrue.

The NBA is desperately attempting to pressure Sterling into selling. The truth is that legally, they cannot force him to do so. Even racists still have contract rights.

Back
Top Bottom