Legacy of Garnett-Pierce-Allen-Rondo; what happens to them now?

the-big-three.jpg

nba_g_big3_trophy_600.jpg

nba_a_garnett_268.jpg

s022011_celticsarrivepg-vertical.jpg

a56536_ltpPierceWallace061810.jpg

bos_a_rondo_576.jpg

ap-201206092225807492882.jpg

Won a championship their first year and competed every year afterwards. They could have ended up with three championships with the right breaks (2009 - Garnett's knee and 2010 - Perkins' knee). Did they meet your expectations from 2007? Especially given the fact that Rondo developed into an All Star point guard himself. 

Pierce and Rondo are still under contract, and I suspect Garnett will be re-signed. Tonight was probably Allen's last game as a Celtic.

Kinda off topic but it trips me out to see KG when I remember KG went straight to the league from high school and now he an old man in the league :-/

Garnett retires
Pierce stays and retires a Celtic
Allen signs with another team

They met my expectations. Like you mentioned, if they stayed healthy things might have been different, but getting that 1st championship is still something to be proud of.

I think they could possibly squeeze one more year out of it, if they have a healthy roster next year.  This lockout shortened season was a blessing for this team.  It really makes me realize father time does catch us.  I mean honestly all the mid to late 90's players with a 80's basketball metality are just about out the league : Kobe, Tim Duncan, Boston big 3.  I really do not count Juwan Howard (Fab Five) or Antwan Jamison and Vince Carter (mid 90's ACC basketball), becuz they were not really "superstars" that won rings.

Always been a big fan of KG and Ray, loved watching those dudes since the late 90's. This would be the pefect way for them to retire on a good note. Pierce is whatever.

won chip and made c's relevant again. coulda won more chips but injuries set them back. overall, success.

If they were smart they would try to keep the Big 4.. Plus Bradley And maybe Bass if plans don't work out.

If you can get KG & Allen to take huge paycuts down to $3mil for a year or two.

Rondon, Bradley, Allen, Pierce, KG at that rate is $35.42mil.

That team still has close to $23-25mil in cap space. Depending on the cap adjustment.

You can then make 1 max contract offers and almost max (90%) on RFA like Eric Gordon & Roy Hibbert. Restrictions on both players because they have played less than 6 years years so max for them is $12.9mil. Both teams are likely to match, but you are putting the pressure on small market teams to show their wallet.

Who knows if the teams decide they can't match. But say in the unlikely circumstance that they both don't...Rondo, Bradley, Gordon, Allen, Pierce, KG, Hibbert is a monster.

They would still have their mini-MLE. 3 draft picks in the draft.. Steimsma is a RFA that wouldn't get much more than he makes now. And could go after a minimum contract or 2.

Very unlikely... But that is something the Celtics should consider. If you can get KG & Allen to play a year or 2 more at a huge discount, why not.. You still have the ability to go after very good players and make your team extremely deep and much younger..

It all hinges on KG and Allen taking a paycut down to $3mil or so. If they ask for like $7mil each then there is no point on trying to keep them..

Always been a fan of Ray/KG/Pierce. Hated that Perkins went down and the Celtics lost to those Laker lames in 2010. Other than
that, you can't ask for more from those guys. Salute to them, knowing this will be the last year all 3 are together.

All these players (along with AI, T-Mac, Duncan and others) from that time period make me feel like how my dad felt when Magic,
Kareem, and all those other guys from that period started declining and retiring. Damn
30t6p3b.gif

I doubt KG and Ray will take that pay cut, in the post game it was almost as if Ray didnt care, like he knew it was coming to an end. So on another note, if they do leave, what places would they look at first (where would they fit best)

Injuries prevented us from winning multiple championships. Who knows what wouldve happened if jermaine, avery bradley and jeff green did not get injured.

Jeff Green mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

That was the biggest loss. he couldve defended bron and gave us points on the offensive end.

Chris Wilcox as well. he was another great big man.

We got far with out those 4. I know they are not the best.

But Avery in the lineup and jeff green are good additions for defensive and offensive end.

Wilcox and O neal couldve helped with rebounds and gave us more size. Wilcox is high energy big man.

This sucks..

real bad.

08 - We Win CHIP

09- KG Knee injury we get out 2nd round vs magic.

10 - perkins goes down. he was the key to stopping pau and bynum. he made a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE difference. REAL REAL BIG LOSS. Also the eddie house trade too. cuz we didnt play nate

11- Ainge starts the season off with a championship team. We are beating the heat easilyyyy, and other teams as well. B4 trade deadline he trades away Perkins , nate, semih erden. Shaq and jermaine go down with injuries. They try to come back but are just too hurt. Marquis daniels also gets hurt. Which is the reason we traded away perkins for jeff green and nenad kristic. Our team chemistry was terrrrrrrible. Delonte West was also injured the wholeee season. He was a great addition too.

12 - (Read up top) Loss of jeff Green, jemaine, wilcox, and avery bradley. Pierce and ray were also injured but im not gonna use that as to an excuse why we lost.

EVERY YEAR.. i swear niketalk...

every one of those years Boston Celtics couldve won the chip.

i really do think that.

If there were no injuries. or lets just say major injuries that kept players our for a extended period of time... my oh myyyy..... we wouldve won every year.

its so depressing.

I kind of think KG retires. Especially if Ray does not return.

I also think Ray Allen will start to decline FAST.

It's over for them and I think they all knew it heading into this playoff run. They're just like the Spurs - they could still win games and make some noise in the playoffs but no one is a #1 option on offense anymore...someone that can put the team on their back.

Originally Posted by durantula

I doubt KG and Ray will take that pay cut, in the post game it was almost as if Ray didnt care, like he knew it was coming to an end. So on another note, if they do leave, what places would they look at first (where would they fit best)

I think KG would in a heart beat if he gives it a year or 2 more.. Which is up in the air.

Allen would be the one I wouldn't be sure of.

But at this stage in your career why not. Especially if you give the team you were on, a better shot to win 1 last title. Any team adding KG or Allen (especially Allen) for $7 mil, will be in trouble trying to win.

As for best fits (in order):
KG -  Celtics & Lakers (tie).  Celtics for obv reasons. Lakers because it looks as if both big men are gone. He has a house in Malibu, good friends with Kobe, and LA was actually his 1st choice in 07. He would be good for 26 minutes in the starting lineup.

Allen - 1. Celtics  2. Grizzles 3. Wolves 4. Thunder  5. Clippers 6. Lakers 7. Knicks

Allen is gone for sure.
I don't think there's any chance Garnett retires. I know he has a lot of miles on his body, but the dude literally lives to play the game of basketball. He was pretty much 20 & 10 throughout the Playoffs (20 games), and was 16 & 8 during the regular season. There's no reason for him to retire right now. 

They met my expectations in their 5 seasons together. As everybody else has mentioned, the injuries got in their way, but that's part of the game--especially with a veteran team. 

The development of Rondo over the past 6 seasons has been pretty amazing to watch.

They made the Celtics relevant after a long time off. Jeff Green, Chris Wilcox, and Avery Bradley will come back. Rondo really came into his own this season as an elite point guard. The Celtics will be just fine. They are a decent free agent away from being a 4 seed in the weak East.

Allen is gone. Garnett will play 1 more in Boston. Whenever the big PP decides to retire, it will be as a Celtic

too soon. i'm a die hard laker fan, but this thread makes me sad. i need some time to heal before i consider a celticless future. all the great times i remember are slowly dying.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by lynchpin33

I think they could possibly squeeze one more year out of it, if they have a healthy roster next year.  This lockout shortened season was a blessing for this team.  It really makes me realize father time does catch us.  I mean honestly all the mid to late 90's players with a 80's basketball metality are just about out the league : Kobe, Tim Duncan, Boston big 3.  I really do not count Juwan Howard (Fab Five) or Antwan Jamison and Vince Carter (mid 90's ACC basketball), becuz they were not really "superstars" that won rings.

I agree with this.
I think Ainge will keep the core for another year or two. They are all going to retire as Celtics. If Boston had Jeff Green and Avery Bradley, Boston would be on the way to the Finals.

Originally Posted by DaulDierce

10 - perkins goes down. he was the key to stopping pau and bynum. he made a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEE difference. REAL REAL BIG LOSS. Also the eddie house trade too. cuz we didnt play nate
Perkins wasn't stopping us Game 1 or whatever time he spent playing us in Game 6. 

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by DaulDierce

Perkins wasn't stopping us Game 1 or whatever time he spent playing us in Game 6. 

In game 7, LA shot just 32% had like 25 offensive rebounds I think it was.  That was the difference in the game.  25 offensive rebounds.  Guess who the celtics leading rebounder was.  KP.  Him going down in game 6 was the reason they lost game 7.  Most experts would agree.  Injuries really did derail a couple more big 3 celtic titles.    

^kg's injury did them in. missed a whole playoff and wasn't the same during their second finals. it basically took him another year to get back in shape. thought last yr's team had a great shot, especially with their hot start. still not sure why ainge made those moves. also, if wade hadnt injured rondos arm it could have been a tighter series and who knows.

got the chip, and was able to develop rondo into a legit pg. the c's have some money to play with now that kg and ray's contract is up.

cant recall the last team to win a chip with their key players in their mid 30s. has there been one lately?

It was interesting to see this group play together because (besides Rondo) these players were all stars on previous teams & them coming together with the chemistry they had was fun to watch. Rondo running the point was the perfect fit & injuries aside, they would've been more successful. Overall, this group winning a ring & competing every year made them a successful team. As far as the future -

Pierce - Retiring a Celtic
Ray - New team
KG - New team
Rondo - Staying with Boston for years to come

Back
Top Bottom