Linda McMahon Has Spent $61 Million Trying to Get Elected.

Was just reading about this a few minutes ago and I'm somewhat flabbergasted. She's running for a Senate seat in CT. She's the wife of Vince McMahon of the WWE.

Linda McMahon won her GOP Senate primary on Tuesday night after spending almost ten times as much as her opponent, but the astronomical, unbelievable number is how much she's spent trying to get elected so far: $61 million.

When McMahon ran for Senate in 2010, she broke state records for out-of-pocket spending when the former WWE executive coughed up $50 million of her own fortune and still lost to Democrat Richard Blumenthal by 12 points. This time around, McMahon spent over $11 million dollars to defeat former Rep. Chris Shays, who only spent about $1.2 million. She tombstoned Hays at the polls Tuesday night, beating him with 73 percent of the vote. (Note: the wrestling puns were way worse the first time she ran.)

McMahon gets to take on Democrat Chris Murphy for the chance to win Joe Lieberman's vacated Senate seat. So, there's only more to come. We just hope she thinks it's worth it.

http://news.yahoo.com/linda-mcmahon-spent-61-million-trying-elected-042018759.html

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I find this disturbing. Is our system truly democratic if only the rich can afford to run for office? Spending 61 million dollars to serve as a public servant for the public good? I call bull ishhhh.

vince.gif

Ya'll forgot how much Meg Whitman spent.

I always forget the Vince McMahon is a billionaire. 
eek.gif

The McMahons play to win the game. She either is very dedicated to helping this country or helping her own legacy.

$61 million is a nice chunk of change. I hope its worth it for her.

I wonder how much that family truly has though. Triple married into the right family money/power wise.

Last edited:
The McMahons play to win the game. She either is very dedicated to helping this country or helping her own legacy.
I wonder how much that family truly has though. Triple married into the right family money/power wise.
There you go. 61 mil better be worth it for her as AW stated on Twitter, because if she loses the election (which is a STRONG possibility) then the decline the WWE has experienced the last few years due to her aspirations has been for nothing.

That's what happened after the ironically named Citizens United beat the FEC in supreme court. The rich and their GOP allies now can run the show with little care for the people because their rich donor friends back them up.

That's what happened after the ironically named Citizens United beat the FEC in supreme court. The rich and their GOP allies now can run the show with little care for the people because their rich donor friends back them up.
"corporations are people my friend" -- Mitt Romney

There you go. 61 mil better be worth it for her as AW stated on Twitter, because if she loses the election (which is a STRONG possibility) then the decline the WWE has experienced the last few years due to her aspirations has been for nothing.

If she can afford to spend $61 million on an election, then I'm sure it's nothing to her.

It's funny because a big part of her campaign, and that of others running for public office at this point in time, wherever in the U.S, is job creation and cutting back on expenses, and fighting for the little guy/average worker, etc; meanwhile, she's dropping $61 m's just for the right to battle for a senate seat. The bull ishh is so thick you could slice it with a knife... :smh:

Last edited:
This isn't her first time running either. She ran against Richard Blumenthal 2 years ago too and lost.

There are two schools of thought on these types of elections. If the candidate can self fund their campaign, they won't be subject to special interests pulling their strings. If they have outside groups funding their campaigns, on the other hand, they can pitch it as a "middle class" candidate representing the people (ala Obama) even though very few that get to that level aren't already millionaires.

she Vince is a billionaire but when his wife spends close to $100 mill, i dont think thats smart.

shes trying to buy her way into senate..

If she can afford to spend $61 million on an election, then I'm sure it's nothing to her.

It's funny because a big part of her campaign, and that of others running for public office at this point in time, wherever in the U.S, is job creation and cutting back on expenses, and fighting for the little guy/average worker, etc; meanwhile, she's dropping $61 m's just for the right to battle for a senate seat. The bull ishh is so thick you could slice it with a knife...
mean.gif

61 Million is really nothing these days in the realm of senate seats. 

Lets be completely clear here. 

Why the hell does this country need Vinces wife in the senate?

*cracks open a beer, gives Linda a stunner*

It's funny because a big part of her campaign, and that of others running for public office at this point in time, wherever in the U.S, is job creation and cutting back on expenses, and fighting for the little guy/average worker, etc; meanwhile, she's dropping $61 m's just for the right to battle for a senate seat. The bull ishh is so thick you could slice it with a knife... :smh:

That doesn't make it less outrageous.

If anything, it makes matters worse that this is what it literally cost to become a senator, to "compete" for a non guaranteed senate seat.

Public office has become the pastime for the rich and wealthy. How can one expect fair governance when the governing body is constituted of one type/class of American? That's really what's problematic here, and the issue at hand.

Last edited:
The McMahons play to win the game. She either is very dedicated to helping this country or helping her own legacy.

It's funny because a big part of her campaign, and that of others running for public office at this point in time, wherever in the U.S, is job creation and cutting back on expenses, and fighting for the little guy/average worker, etc; meanwhile, she's dropping $61 m's just for the right to battle for a senate seat. The bull ishh is so thick you could slice it with a knife... 
mean.gif

That doesn't make it less outrageous.

If anything, it makes matters worse that this is what it literally cost to become a senator, to "compete" for a non guaranteed senate seat.

OK, how much does it take to run a campaign? 

Not that I agree with Citizens United, but I mean I understand the rationale from both sides.

If she raised that money from donations, would you feel the same way?

Public office has become the pastime for the rich and wealthy. How can one expect fair governance when the governing body is constituted of one type/class of American? That's really what's problematic here, and the issue at hand.
In all honesty, did you think poor people would win an election? 

How? They'd have to raise money SOMEHOW. That message isn't going to carry itself. 

People think they're about "grass roots" campaigns until reality sets in. 

Just being pragmatic here. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom