Lock

at blaming the angels. i guess texas giving arod all that money doesnt mean anything. at least we win tho. have fun missing the playoffs and paying jones all that money while he bats .220
Yeah, since we all know that ARod blew up the CF market this off season.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

laugh.gif
@ you thinking Beltran is that much better. Mets fans, never cease to amaze me. Beltran is solid, but he isn't better than Jones. I wouldn't put one above the other, they are both good.

gimme Beltran any day of the week over AJ.

^^^

Hopefully Jones gets back on track, big hopefully.

If he gets back to his 2005-2006 form would you still take Beltran over Jones?

I've never been a big fan of Beltran.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

^^^

Hopefully Jones gets back on track, big hopefully.

I've never been a big fan of Beltran.

probably so, but you really can't go wrong with either of the two. i would give the slight edge to Beltran, due to the fact that i love switchhitters, he's gonna steal more bases than Andruw and strikeout less than AJ. the SB and K difference isn't THAT big, though. they're almost thesame player (they were born 1 day apart.) i do like Andruw's durability.

Andruw Jones reminds me of Adam Dunn (in terms of hitting.) For the longest time i would get so frustrated with Dunn's batting average and would convincemyself that he would become a better overall hitter. but now i've accept the fact that Dunn "is what he is." he's gonna hit .240-.265, 40homers, drive in 90-110, but strike out a lot. the only difference between him and Andruw is that you can probably only count for 30 homers ("only 30homers"
laugh.gif
) from AJ, but Dunn takes a lot more BB's hence hishigher OBP.

18 million per season is a lot of money, but I don't find the contract ridiculous. It's a short term deal, therefore, if he isn't earning hismoney...well then it's only two years. It's not like the Giants and Zito's contract. SMH at Sabean. I would've loved to see the Giants makethis sort of deal with Andruw.

Come on Sabean! Again, no major moves at the winter meetings. Ridiculous.

[h1]Nats add Boone, avoid arbitration with Pena, Langerhans[/h1]

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Backup infielder Aaron Boone agreed to a one-year, $1 million contract Thursday with the Washington Nationals, who also avoided arbitration with outfielders Wily Mo Pena and Ryan Langerhans.

Pena agreed to a deal that would pay him $4 million over two years if he picks up a mutual option for 2009, or $7 million if the team exercises its option. Langerhans would earn $500,000 if he's in the majors next season and $300,000 in the minors.

The 34-year-old Boone gives the Nationals an experienced backup at first, second and third base and a clubhouse leader who could help mentor the team's young players.

"That's very important for the leadership of our club," manager Manny Acta said before leaving the winter meetings at the Opryland Hotel.

Boone is a career .265 hitter with 120 home runs, 527 RBIs and 107 stolen bases over 10 seasons. He was an NL All-Star with Cincinnati in 2003, when he batted a combined .267 with 24 home runs, 96 RBIs and 23 stolen bases for the Reds and Yankees.

Boone's 11th-inning homer against Boston in Game 7 won the 2003 AL Championship Series for New York. But the next winter he blew out his left knee playing basketball and missed the entire '04 season.

He spent two years with Cleveland and this season hit .286 with five homers and 28 RBIs in 69 games for the Florida Marlins before going on the disabled list June 25 and having season-ending arthroscopic surgery on the same knee.

"The reports we have is that he's 100 percent back from his knee surgery," Acta said.

Pena batted .293 with eight homers and 22 RBIs in 37 games for Washington after joining the team in an Aug. 17 trade with the Red Sox. The Nationals averaged 3.9 runs per game before he arrived and 5 per game afterward.

"I don't think we had anybody intimidating in our lineup" before Pena was acquired, Acta said.

Langerhans, 27, combined for six home runs and 23 RBIs in 125 big league games with Washington, Oakland and Atlanta this season.

Aaron Boone
pimp.gif

[table][tr][td]
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa wants Rolen back, on team's terms
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td] By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer
December 6, 2007
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa wants third baseman Scott Rolen back.

But only on the team's terms.
[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table]"He's got a contract to play, and we need him to play," La Russa said Wednesday at the baseball winter meetings. "And he's going to be treated very honestly. If he plays hard and plays as well as he can, he plays. And if he doesn't, he can sit. If he doesn't like it, he can quit."
La Russa and Rolen have been feuding at least since the 2006 postseason, when Rolen was benched while struggling with a shoulder injury. The spat lingered last season, and La Russa said Rolen was the lone dissenting voice when the manager was deciding whether to return for another year.

"It was unanimous that everyone was for me except him," La Russa said. "It's gotten to the point where I don't care. What I care about is that he re-establish his stature as a major league productive star."

La Russa said the organization has gone out of its way to show Rolen respect, and "it's time for him to give back."

"Scott's got a lot of goodness to him. ... I think he has been a team man. He plays a team sport. I don't think he's going to want to be the one guy and the 24 guys on the other side of the room."

Rolen issued a cool statement through his agents, Sam and Seth Levinson.

"These are matters that I never discussed publicly and are matters that should have remained private," Rolen said. "I will not dignify Tony's comments with any response at this time."

Rolen was fighting fatigue and soreness in his surgically repaired left shoulder when he hit .188 without an RBI in the first two rounds of 2006 NL playoffs. Saying Rolen's swing didn't look right, La Russa benched him for Game 2 of the NL championship series.

Rolen wasn't happy about it, and the two stopped talking to each other.

In the World Series, Rolen hit .421 with a homer, three doubles and two RBIs as the Cardinals beat the Detroit Tigers in five games.

La Russa said Wednesday that Rolen asked for a trade, and the Cardinals are exploring their options. But he insisted that the team won't "accommodate" Rolen.

"There's absolutely no intention to accommodate Scott. I mean, that's not how you run an organization," La Russa said. "The idea is to accommodate the St. Louis Cardinals, our team, our responsibility to our players and to the competition.

"So, no, I don't want to accommodate Scott. But somebody doesn't want to be part of the situation, you investigate it."

The Los Angeles Dodgers are among those interested.

"They can make their inquiries," La Russa said. "But the whole idea isn't to please Scott; it's to take care of the St. Louis Cardinals."

Seth Levinson made it sound as if a trade was inevitable.

"It is entirely disingenuous for Tony to claim to be mystified when last year, the organization in a conference call apologized for his highly inappropriate behavior," he said. "This year, Tony wrote a letter and left a follow-up voicemail which would prove to any reasonable person that the relationship is irreparably damaged."

After batting .296 with 22 homers and 95 RBIs in '06, Rolen dropped to .265, eight homers and 58 RBIs this season. Even so, La Russa said he wants him back.

"Nobody has more often said that I don't think Scott should be traded than me," La Russa said. "I think he should be with our club. I think we need him. We need him to reassert himself as an impact player. I don't care what anybody wants in a trade. We need him and we expect him to be productive."
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Beltran plays gold glove defense as well, will pretty much give you a .280 BA and drive in 100 RBI's and get 30-40 HR's (plus hes a switch hitter anddoesn't rely on pulling the ball, AND plays small ball when needed). It has nothing to do with me being a Mets fan, I can guarantee you that a lot of otherpeople would choose Beltran right now over the free swinging Jones because he's simply a better OVERALL player right now. Jones is pretty much like AdamDunn right now.

You mean the same season Beltran batted .275/ 41 home runs/ 116 RBI, yea I'll still take him.

Beltran right now over the free swinging Jones because he's simply a better OVERALL player right now. Jones is pretty much like Adam Dunn right now.

Another delusional Mets fan.... You don't know what you are talking about
laugh.gif

Beltran at this point is healthier and more athletic..... AJ is not playing well after all the face plants he has taken over the years in theoutfield...
18 mil a yr is crazy

oh yeah and Reyes on the cover=
pimp.gif
x1000 copped!

Andruw is much better defensively than Beltran. Mez One remember when Beltran misplayed a flyball Andruw will never drop a flyball he catches the ball and withstyle, glove above his arm and head looking elsewhere
pimp.gif
. At this point iwould say Beltran is a better hitter, steals bases, avg, less K's etc... but i would still choose Andruw Jones over Carlos Beltran its just that i'vewatched Andruw since he first made his Atlanta Braves debut.

If the Dodgers get .260, over 30 HR's, over 100 RBI's you are getting a good deal on Andruw and you know he will play gold glove defense, howeverAndruw will need to get used to their field.

Mez One the Mets are trying to sign Octavio Dotel
laugh.gif
and if they do don't tell me it was a good signing because you told me allyear how terrible Dotel is.

If the Dodgers get .260, over 30 HR's, over 100 RBI's you are getting a good deal on Andruw and you know he will play gold glove defense
I see what you mean there, but also at the same time it makes a guy think what salaries are like these days when he puts up those numbers youwrote (plus the gold glove or near it) and then paying him 18 mil for that is a "good deal."
eek.gif

Also correct me if Im wrong guys but didn't Rolen have huge problems with his team when he was in Philly too? Maybe it was contract related. Still.....

bmFresh Of course your going to choose Andruw over Beltran since your a Braves fan, but even you point out that RIGHT NOW Beltran is a betterhitter, steals bases, avg, less K's etc, so dude must think your delusional as well. If Andruw does put up .260 30HR and 100 RBIs then its a decent signingb/c its more than what they projected he would do. But at the same time, Beltran will put up better numbers than that this season (with a slightly higheraverage). If Andruw stinks up the place, then at least its only 2 years and he'll be gone before they know it.

PS: Dotel is TRASH, his WHIP is horrific.

Yes, I am very delusionsal because I know nothing about baseball Einstein.

Beltran at this point is healthier and more athletic..... AJ is not playing well after all the face plants he has taken over the years in the outfield...

Beltran has missed 51 games over the last 3 seasons, Andruw has only missed 16. I don't think AJ has ever been on the DL.

"i do like Andruw's durability."

but i would still choose Andruw Jones over Carlos Beltran its just that i've watched Andruw since he first made his Atlanta Braves debut.
I know AJ's is ATL's son and everything, but that's not a good reason to take him over Beltran.

Beltran right now over the free swinging Jones because he's simply a better OVERALL player right now. Jones is pretty much like Adam Dunn right now.

laugh.gif

how about you prove that YOU "know what you are talking about" instead of just calling someone delusional.

Rumor:

Hideki Matsui to the Giants for Noah Lowry or Kevin Correia + 1.

I'd be real happy with this trade...We can definitely afford his contract. Apparently, this might be the kicker for the Giants signing Fukodome as well.They're said to be the dark horse in signing him, and playing with Matsui would be a reason for him to sign with SF for slightly less money. If either ofthose moves happen, I see the Giants moving Randy, and maybe Fred Lewis with an expensive veteran attached to him.

I'm gonna have to look for an old Matsui Yomiuri Giants jersey when I go back to Japan.

IDK why the Yankees would get rid of Matsui, he's the one solid rock that always contributes to the team (although his route in the outfield are not thegreatest).

Edit: The hell happened to my sig, I'm missing a line.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

IDK why the Yankees would get rid of Matsui, he's the one solid rock that always contributes to the team (although his route in the outfield are not the greatest).

Maybe trying to get another solid hitter to protect Rios when they trade Tim Lincecum to the Blue Jays?
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by TheAndrea3000

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

It's Official all i want for Christmas is Tim Lincecum

I'd never trade Rios, he is the best player on the Jays, better than Wells. Rios can hit, run, play defense and is far more consistent than Wells. Lets not forget that he's earning around $2.5 million a season to put up Allstar numbers.

Yeah but him pretty sure his contract is expiring and I don't think J.P. is got remove his hands from his%!%# to pay him. Better to get something before we get Delgado'ed.

He's under contract until 2012. And Delgado didn't leave us, JP offered him stupid contract, like $5 million a season to stay with the team. Then next season he goes out and gets Troy Glaus
sick.gif
We have the worst GM in baseball.

Troy ain't that bad but your right J.P. is the worst GM in baseball...perhaps I should have said JP'd

Maybe trying to get another solid hitter to protect Rios when they trade Tim Lincecum to the Blue Jays?
pimp.gif

If Matsui is traded to San Francisco for Lowry, the Rios/Lincecum deal is dead. Now way the Giants deal TWO starters.

yea...dodgers are beastin with jones

cant say that yet... he hasnt even played with them yet..
looks decent on paper but we shall see what happens.

He'll give Los Angeles around 30 homeruns, 90 RBI, and he'll hit .260.

more than likely..

Andruw Jones has been pretty consistent with his numbers minus that Brady Anderson type season where he hit 51 homeruns.

He'll give Los Angeles around 30 homeruns, 90 RBI, and he'll hit .260.

Originally Posted by Burn916

Rumor:

Hideki Matsui to the Giants for Noah Lowry or Kevin Correia + 1.

I'd be real happy with this trade...

i wouldn't...
sick.gif

don't do it Cashman...
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom