Lock

^^ I prefer Tori Hunter over Andruw Jones though...

If we don't get Cabrera we definetly need another starting pitcher...

I don't think Laroche is ready to be a full time player at 3b. We need a 3b that will get us over the top and I think Cabrera , a CF, and a solid SP willget us there.

I like Kemp, but most likely he will be the one to go in some sort of trade.

Looks like Torii Hunter is an Angel.....
eek.gif
. They were never mentioned inany rumor concerning Hunter.

Looks like we have to go after Rowand or Jones. I knew Hunter wasn't going to leave the AL, but I thought he was going to be a Ranger or White Sox. Theyprobably threw that dinero at him.

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Outfielder Torii Hunter and the Los Angeles Angels reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night on a five-year contract thought to be worth at least $80 million.

5884.jpg

Hunter

The agreement is subject to a physical

laugh.gif
Thank God someone else signed Torii. That was the last thing the Rangers needed. Nowjust make a move for a young OK and keep it moving. Looks like they gave him 5/80...That's ridiculous. The Rangers offered up 6/90, and that was supposedlythe best deal he had...

Second year in a row the Angels have overpaid for a CF coming off a career year...

eek.gif
out of left field!!
wow Reagins=
pimp.gif

now lets get rid of Mathews Jr. and Santatna + minor leaguers for Miggy
link?
Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif
Thank God someone else signed Torii. That was the last thing the Rangers needed. Now just make a move for a young OK and keep it moving. Looks like they gave him 5/80...That's ridiculous. The Rangers offered up 6/90, and that was supposedly the best deal he had...

Second year in a row the Angels have overpaid for a CF coming off a career year...

laugh.gif
stop acting like ur happy again. Rangers better start throwing money around if they wanna get out of that cellar.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Looks like Torii Hunter is an Angel.....
eek.gif
. They were never mentioned in any rumor concerning Hunter.

Looks like we have to go after Rowand or Jones. I knew Hunter wasn't going to leave the AL, but I thought he was going to be a Ranger or White Sox. They probably threw that dinero at him.

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Outfielder Torii Hunter and the Los Angeles Angels reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night on a five-year contract thought to be worth at least $80 million.

5884.jpg

Hunter

The agreement is subject to a physical

eek.gif
i likes

stop acting like ur happy again. Rangers better start throwing money around if they wanna get out of that cellar.
Why would I not be happy? This type of signing is the EXACT thing the Rangers need to avoid right now. They've been throwing around overpricedcontracts at players for the last decade and it hasn't worked. See: Millwood, Padilla, ARod, Chan Ho, etc...

Having 30+ million locked up in Torii Hunter and Michael Young 4 years from now would have been a TERRIBLE situation for the Rangers. Avoiding that contract isthe best thing that could have happened to them. They've finally committed to building from within, and the farm system is better, deeper, and moretalented than ever. Signing Torii Hunter to a contract now that would have prevented them from making moves 2-3 years from now when they're actually goingto compete would have been a bad move. Now, they just need to find a way out from under Michael Young, Kevin Millwood, or Padilla's contracts, andthey'll be ready to go.

Copied from the thread I just locked:

With Guerrero in right and Garret Anderson in left, the move leaves no space in the starting outfield for Matthews Jr., who played center field this year. The Angels said he could see time at designated hitter at spell the corner outfielders.

Well that would be dumb as hell. I've already heard that the Angels were contemplating moving Vlad to DH. His arm is a terror, but he'smore of a liability than a commodity out there. There's a reason Papi is a DH; because he's an excellent hitter, and a decent fielder. Ditto with Vlad.
According to the Times, the Angels were also in trade talks with the Florida Marlins for Miguel Cabrera, but it wasn't known Wednesday night whether the Angels would still pursue Cabrera.
Enh, dude's weight is definitely an issue. Monster player, but I'm not sure if he could be as disciplined as Scoscia would demand. JoseGuillen wasn't. Dallas McPherson wasn't. Heck, Jim Edmonds wasn't (Cards fans, can it. Dude has been a gem of a teammate for your guys.
laugh.gif
Not so much with the Angels. He wasn't terrible, but he's changed in StL.)
Reagins has made a splash on the job even before the agreement with Hunter. On Monday, the Angels traded Orlando Cabrera to the White Sox for pitcher Jon Garland
Wait, I change what I said about Miggy Cabrera then. Apparently we need infield help now. I didn't know Orlando was traded. Garland's agood pitcher, though. I'm not mad at that. I mean, a little, because I liked Cabrera.

Ah well.

I'm just glad Torii's in!
pimp.gif

Torii Hunter is a good player, but no 32 year old with a lifetime average of .271 is worth 80 million over the next five years. Although I can probably name atleast 10 contracts in baseball more ridiculous than this.

And too bad Vlady is getting too banged up to play RF. That outfield defense would have been
eek.gif

"I wanted to play with these guys. For me, they were one of the teams I was looking at, but I didn't know if they were looking at me.
"We shocked the world. Now I'm an Angel. I'm going to hopefully finish my career as a Halo, and hopefully get about three [World Series] rings out of this thing."

"It's been pretty good to me over the years," Hunter said of Angel Stadium. "It's the energy, playing outside, on that good grass [as opposed to Minnesota's artificial turf]. Fans show up. It's loud, electrifying. If you can't get pumped up to play in Anaheim, you need to get your mind evaluated.

"I've been stomping up and down with my family. Little Torii Jr., [one of his three children], is ready with his Angel gear.

"These guys really showed me they're trying to win. Anaheim, you know, they're going to try to win every year. I've always admired the way they play."

pimp.gif
sounds like he'll be inspired to play next year

Originally Posted by 27th4theHood

"I wanted to play with these guys. For me, they were one of the teams I was looking at, but I didn't know if they were looking at me.
"We shocked the world. Now I'm an Angel. I'm going to hopefully finish my career as a Halo, and hopefully get about three [World Series] rings out of this thing."
"It's been pretty good to me over the years," Hunter said of Angel Stadium. "It's the energy, playing outside, on that good grass [as opposed to Minnesota's artificial turf]. Fans show up. It's loud, electrifying. If you can't get pumped up to play in Anaheim, you need to get your mind evaluated.

"I've been stomping up and down with my family. Little Torii Jr., [one of his three children], is ready with his Angel gear.

"These guys really showed me they're trying to win. Anaheim, you know, they're going to try to win every year. I've always admired the way they play."

pimp.gif
sounds like he'll be inspired to play next year

yep... can't wait for next year to start!

If the angels get miguel cabrera from the marlins its going to be an exciting season . 1. figgy 2. gmj. 3. mig. cabrera 4. vlad 5. hunter. 6 ga 7. kotchman 8.napoli 9. izturis.

dont get me wrong i like Howie but Vlad needs help

im pretty sure Mike Sciosia will find the next Eckstien/Willits clone who plays 2nd
laugh.gif

Guys, we need pitching now.

Not 'need' as in 'desperately need', but focusing on building a potent BATTING ORDER and neglecting the PITCHING STAFF only makes us... theYankees.
And that hasn't proven too successful of a recipe for them.

We have a nice batting order right now, without Cabrera. I wouldn't mind improving it with the likes of Miggy (Cabrera or Tejada), but that wouldn't bemy next focus if I were the Angels front office; pitching would be my next focus.

Bring in another middler reliever, and maybe even another starter, because Colon isn't cutting it.

^colon is gone. we're not signing him and we got Garland
ohwell.gif

so it looks like;
Lackey
Escobar
Weaver
Garland
Saunders/Santana

and in the pen;
Saunders/Santana
Oliver
Mosely
Bootcheck
Speier
Shields
K-rod

now i agree that we can use another pitcher but i think we need another bat more than we need a pitcher.
my gut feeling is that santana or saunders will be traded in a package deal for a bat.

^ Man, I haven't kept up with freaking crap.

Colon's gone? That's good news for me. I was getting tired of his work ethic, or lack thereof.

And that's exactly the problem I think Miggy Cabrera would have. Dude's weight is definitely an issue. Look at his frame his rookie year compared tonow. Dude is GRUBBING on these MLB paychecks.
laugh.gif

^
laugh.gif
i posted an article a couple pages back where he said he was plannign on losing weight. Said he had been on his new workout plan for 4 weeks already.[Jim Rome] Allegedly [Jim Rome]

yeah colon was a FA, ska. only thing i'd really like to load up pitching wise is middle relief. we don't need it, but bootcheck and mosely make menervous
laugh.gif
i hope reagins doesnt give in to florida's demands. i'd give up brandon wood or kendry morales before i give up howie in a trade formiggy, but they already have hanley at short unless they convert brandon to a third baseman like what mike tried to do earlier this year. hopefully we canstand pat long enough for them to budge. and although we might overpay for our outfield, our infield is one of the best bargains in baseball. kotchman/moralesat 1st, kendrick at 2nd, aybar/izzy at ss, wood at 3rd, and mathis/napoli all at the league minimum for 2 seasons and most for the next 3
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

The Indians signed that hot-dog eating dude to come out of the bullpen.
laugh.gif
Not that anyone in this thread cares about the Indians anyways.
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]
11/23/2007 7:31 PM ET

Reds, Cordero agree to four-year deal

Closer's physical expected to be completed next week

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]
qJ6cKrUk.jpg

Francisco Cordero has 177 saves in 223 chances over nine big league seasons. (Morry Gash/AP)

more_coverage_cin.gif

[table][tr][td]Reds Headlines[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
trans.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Reds give back as much as they get
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Thousands gather to honor Reds' Nuxhall
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Reds mailbag: No ROY votes for Hamilton?
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Longtime Reds voice Nuxhall passes away
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]• More Reds Headlines[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]MLB Headlines[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
trans.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Free agent pitcher Joe Kennedy dies
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Umpire Harvey hoping for election to Hall
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Yabuta, Royals appear close to deal
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
Brewers lose Cordero sweepstakes
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
More MLB Headlines
[/td] [/tr][/table]

ADVERTISEMENT

[/td] [/tr][/table]
print this page | [b]e-mail this page[/b][img]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/images/webtools_email.gif[/img]

Cordero's bio
Cordero's statistics
Complete Hot Stove coverage

CINCINNATI -- The Reds made a huge move to improve the National League's lowest-ranked bullpen on Friday by agreeing to a four-year,$46 million contract with former Brewers closer Francisco Cordero.
A source familiar with the negotiations confirmed the deal with MLB.com. It comes with a $12 million club option for the 2012 season and a $1 millionbuyout. The signing is pending a physical next week.

In terms of guaranteed money, Cordero's contract would be the largest ever for a reliever.

Cordero is at his home in the Dominican Republic and isn't expected to come to Cincinnati until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Reached Friday evening, Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky would not confirm that his team landed Cordero.

"There's no deal," Krivsky said. "We've had conversations, I can tell you that. There's nothing to announce. That's where itstands."

But Brewers GM Doug Melvin said that agent Bean Stringfellow informed him on Thursday that Cordero had chosen Cincinnati. Milwaukee offered $42 million overfour years with a $13 million option for a fifth year, but apparently came up short.

"It's about setting the bar. Now they have a new bar for relief pitchers," Melvin said. "Francisco is a very good pitcher, and it'sdefinitely going to help Cincinnati and hurt us. ... We thought that we made him a very solid offer. A million dollars a year more, who knows? With these highsalaries this year, who knows what is enough. If we would have been at $44 [million] or $45 [million], would he have chosen us? I don't know. We never gotthe opportunity top go there. [Stringfellow] never came to us and said, 'Will you go there? We had people who thought we were bidding against ourselveslast week."

Cordero, 32, was one of the top closers available on the market this winter. In 66 appearances for Milwaukee this past season, he was 0-4 with a 2.98 ERAand 44 saves in 51 chances. He is a two-time All-Star, including in 2007.

According to the source, the Astros were also vying for Cordero's services against Cincinnati and Milwaukee.

A nine-year veteran of the Tigers, Rangers and Brewers, Cordero has 177 career saves and a 3.29 lifetime ERA. He had a career high of 49 saves with Texas in2004.

Assuming Cordero passes his physical and joins Cincinnati, current closer David Weathers would likely move back into a setup role. Weathers had 33 saves forthe Reds in 2007. The club's back end of the bullpen is also bolstered with right-hander Jared Burton, a rookie who emerged as a strong eighth-inningoption.

Fixing the bullpen was one of the Reds' top priorities during this offseason. Last season, Cincinnati relievers posted a 23-31 record, a league-high5.13 ERA and converted 34 of 61 saves.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Oooooooh, that's solid for Cincy.

As is the case with mst teams in the league, I think the Reds' main problem was pitching, so this definitely helps fill a hole (as opposed to just signinga guy because he's good and available).

Solid pick up.

Back
Top Bottom