Lodge 49 [ AMC Original Series ] [ Season 2 [ ❙❙ ] | August? ]

MV5BMTY2YmRlZmEtN2EwMC00MzE4LWIyOTctNWViMzg2NTQ0OWVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTg5NTI4MjE@._V1_.jpg

Looking for any semblance of the idyllic middle-class existence he knew before his father's death and the family business collapsing, a charming, eternally optimistic ex-surfer named Dud stumbles into his life's new path. He finds himself on the doorstep of a rundown fraternal lodge, where a "Luminous Knight" of the order, plumbing salesman Ernie, welcomes him with open arms. Lodge 49 offers Dud a world of cheap beer, easy friendship and some strange alchemical philosophies that may help him confront his deepest fears and greatest hopes.

Cast
Series cast summary:
Wyatt Russell ... Dud
Brent Jennings ... Ernie
Sonya Cassidy ... Liz

anyone watching this? :nerd:

I caught some of the first episode and thought it was cool. I liked this dude in his episode of Black Mirror (Playtest) so I’m gonna probably check it out this weekend sometime.

Caught EP 1 like it ended up watching all of Season 1

Not sure how i would rate / view this by EP 3 you could tell if your in or out ( no crazy plot at the end)

That being said i'm in on a S2 Wyatt Russell is really good & Liz is the best character on the show IMO

and hes kurt russell son :wow:

And the costar is the principal from shameless and insecure

and the sister was on humans season 2

Last edited:
‘Lodge 49’ Is a Surreal Mystery (If You Want It to Be)
Like ‘Lost’ and ‘Westworld,’ AMC’s latest drama is enigmatic by nature, but unlike those shows, solving the riddle is a refreshingly optional proposition inessential to enjoying the series

miles_lodge49_amc_ringer.0.jpg

AMC/Ringer illustration

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/8/21/17761960/lodge-49-amc-drama-mystery

Lodge 49, AMC’s latest drama, doesn’t lend itself to a succinct logline. There are ruminations on alchemy and whether some unseen force is aligning the destinies of the series’ protagonists. There is a secret library with a mummified corpse laying on a cot in its center. There are ancient, long-missing scrolls from Egypt, suspected to be somewhere in Mexico. There are loan sharks, and also a literal shark. At one point, when a character is delivering a speech, a tapeworm begins crawling out of his nose. Watching Lodge 49 can be jarring, but you also get the impression that every minuscule detail, no matter how eccentric or mundane, was planted there for a reason by creator Jim Gavin. Scant threads slowly begin weaving together in the first season to ask a question that just so happens to repeatedly appear on the show in a string of billboards: “Is there another way to live?”

The bizarre, perplexing nature of Lodge 49 doesn’t feel out of place in a television landscape awash with mystery box storytelling—the device used by the sort of shows that reward multiple viewings and an attentive audience scoping out clues. The sort of shows that require active participation—like decoding a puzzle to uncover a trailer, as both Westworld and Mr. Robot have done—that can feel like exhaustive homework to some, but exciting to others. But what makes Lodge 49 genuinely idiosyncratic, at a time when television dramas have never been more abundant, is that its underlying mysteries are inessential to enjoying the series. Lodge 49 isn’t just a “modern-day fable”—it might feature TV’s first-ever low-stress, opt-in-only-if-you-want mystery box.

Lodge 49’s laissez-faire approach to its conundrums is best embodied by its lead. Sean “Dud” Dudley, played by a pitch-perfect Wyatt Russell, is a meandering surfer in Long Beach who can no longer surf—an existential quandary in its own right. Dud was bitten by a viper on a surfing trip in Nicaragua and walks around with a constant limp. Around the same time as his injury, he lost his father in a body surfing accident—it’s presumed he drowned; the body was never found—who subsequently left mountains of debt to Dud’s twin sister, Liz (played by Sonya Cassidy). Liz works at Shamroxx—a depressing fusion of Hooter’s and Bennigan’s—to pay off the money owed and is continually, understandably, on the verge of a breakdown. Unrelatedly, when Dud finds a ring on the beach belonging to the Ancient and Benevolent Order of the Lynx, a fraternal lodge with a storied history in its native England, he believes joining its Long Beach chapter, Lodge 49, will grant his life some purpose.

It’s hard not to read Dud’s introduction to the Order of the Lynx as cosmic fate, right down to his Volkswagen Thing running out of gas in front of Lodge 49’s entrance in the pilot. Dud certainly perceives his ordeal as such, even as the lodge’s members prove to be more cynical pragmatists. The lodge serves as the epicenter from which Dud and the show’s secondary characters—like Ernie (Brent Jennings), an elder statesman who works in plumbing and morphs into Dud’s mentor and best friend—deal with their problems. As Dud, Ernie, and others reckon with their lives and the crappy hands dealt to them, there is no tangible antagonist: only the looming spectre of capitalism and the impending doom of America’s middle-class post-Recession, a through line of Lodge 49. The means by which these characters have been brought together are debatably metaphysical, but nonetheless, their connection makes sense: They all want more from the world and for fate to push something their way, even if in such uncomplicated manners as debt relief. Compared to the characters fighting zombies or warring with cartels in New Mexico on AMC’s other shows, these are decidedly smaller stakes, but the initial simplicity of Lodge 49 and the relatability of its characters evince a subtle understanding of the human condition.

However, just when you think all the talk of fate and alchemy at the lodge is simply window dressing behind the characters’ search for deeper purpose, the show takes some truly surreal turns. Dud stumbles upon the hidden library and the mummy. At one point, while working as a part-time security guard at a folding aerospace company, he walks down a ladder to find a floor transforming into a collection of stars. An actual seal shows up twice and vanishes just as quickly. There is talk of a “one true lodge” and a preordained prophet sent to uncover it. The leader of Lodge 49, Larry Loomis, is even played by Kenneth Welsh, best known as Windom Earle from Twin Peaks and last seen in that show’s Black Lodge, for Christ’s sake.

But even when Lodge 49 leans into these magical flourishes, unpacking the mysteries never feels like a requirement. They are a bonus, there if you need them, but not needed—the existential questions at the heart of Lodge 49 are enough to propel it forward. The way the show operates is not unlike Dud: There is a calmness to the whole ordeal. As executive producer Peter Ocko said when describing the series at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour, “We see our show as a bit of a palate-cleanser so you can go back to the hard work of watching shows about complicated robots.” Indeed, for all of Westworld’s sermons about its robots learning to be human and mysteries pertaining to literal mazes, the low stakes of Lodge 49 feels not just more palatable but far more relatable.

Perhaps, in the wake of series like Lost, Twin Peaks, Mr. Robot, Legion, andWestworld, we’ve all been conditioned to watch any shows that lend themselves to mystery in a certain way. Those shows have taught us that every detail can be of the utmost importance—that every uttering, every glance, every background flourish be analyzed, for they may be the key to unlocking the stories’ deepest meanings. That sort of behavior isn’t the only way to approach the carefully detailed workings of Lodge 49—depending on what you want, it can be a compelling mystery, a contemporary fable, a ruminative exploration on America’s dying middle class, or The Big Lebowski–meets-surfing, perfectly tailored for the ultimate stoner binge. The choice to open the mystery box or not is uniquely up to the viewer. Lodge 49 is the rare show where calling it unlike anything on television isn’t hyperbole. Whatever it is, it’s magical.

Lodge 49 Is the Best TV Show You’re Not Watching
00-story-lodge-49.jpg

Wyatt Russell as Sean “Dud” Dudley in AMC’s Lodge 49.
Photo: Jackson Lee Davis / AMC

https://www.vogue.com/article/lodge-49-amc-review

AMC’s curiosity-box of a series Lodge 49 is so hard to describe that it seems most people stopped trying. The show, about a genial down-and-out surfer named Sean “Dud” Dudley (Wyatt Russell) who joins a mysterious Elks Lodge–style social club in Long Beach, California, was met with generally warm reviews when it debuted a month ago, but has since been quietly airing on Monday nights at 10:00 p.m. to little hubbub. Internet recaps? Watercooler talk? Nope, nope. I don’t know anyone watching it.

I didn’t really watch it either, until a few days ago when I made a point of catching up, and I’m so glad I did. Lodge 49 is created by the writer Jim Gavin, whose 2013 collection of short stories about underachieving, good-hearted American men,Middle Men, was so deft and funny it left me dazed. (I invited Gavin to Voguethat year to talk about writing an essay for the magazine and he politely came, dressed in jeans and worn-out sneakers. Passing racks of dresses and fashion assistants, he deadpanned: “I always knew I’d wind up here.”)

Lodge 49 is good, but it takes time to win you over and doesn’t conform, as it ambles along, to any peak-TV formula you’re accustomed to. It’s pitched between low-stakes drama and shambolic comedy, with The Big Lebowski and Thomas Pynchon’s The Crying of Lot 49 as polestars—but that doesn’t really capture the affecting humanity of the five episodes that have aired (episode six airs on September 10). I could summarize the plot, but there’s not much of it. I could tell you that this world of barely-making-it Californians is embroidered by mysterious visions, the discovery of a mummified body, discussions of alchemy, and a rapacious developer looking to squeeze Long Beach—but that might make it sound more complex than it is.

Lodge 49’s appeal is actually pretty straightforward: It is filled with characters that you care about, who feel less like types than flawed, three-dimensional humans. Russell as Dud capably mixes sadness and goofy idealism as he digs deeper into debt and refuses to accept the truth of his father’s death. His sister, played by the English actress Sonya Cassidy, I like even more. She has intelligence and work ethic to burn but is drifting along as a waitress at a Hooters-style bar called Shamroxx. Brent Jennings plays Ernie Fontaine, a middle-aged plumbing-supply salesman barely scraping by—and carrying on an affair with a rival’s wife. Lodge 49looks attractively sunstruck, but it’s also pretty clearly made on a modest budget, with a sometimes flimsy soundtrack. But if you give it time, its shagginess and modesty win you over. I watched episodes four and five with greater and greater concentration, and there was a scene with Dud and a corporate boss he’s sleeping with and her dying mother that took my breath away.

So give it a try. The episodes are easily available on-demand and on AMC’s website (with a cable provider login). Fall’s big marquee shows are still to come—and summer’s over, but maybe not quite?—so let this modest pleasure tide you in the meantime.

AMC hasn't been promoting this at all.

Will have to check this out.

i only heard about this when i was watching Better Call Saul and for some reason they played this show instead of auto-playing the next BCS episode. i was like, this is a long *** preview :lol:

AMC hasn't been promoting this at all.

Will have to check this out.
Probably getting cancelled.

Show's okay to me. I never feel the urge to discuss anything about it. Nothing about it is all that compelling or really interesting. Just something entertaining I keep up with.

Finally finished this season.

Very enjoyable. It was a nice 4 ep binge.

**** got wild when the Captain showed up :rofl: That narwhal hook through the skull and eye :lol: Messed up that the deal just fell through cuz of that crazy dude that wants to steal the scrolls.

Then the end of the finale was wild. El confidante showing up and that damn seal :lol: Dud ain't ever going back in the water again. That Asian friend that saved him was looking beautiful in those shots.:emoji_tired_face:

AMC Networks Sets Season 2 Premiere Dates For ‘Lodge 49’, ‘The Terror’, More

lodge-49-2.jpg

AMC Networks

https://deadline.com/2019/04/amc-ne...ates-for-lodge-49-the-terror-more-1202591061/

AMC Networks has set premiere dates for several new and returning series including season 2 of Lodge 49 and The Terror: Infamy, the second installment of the horror anthology series.

The Terror: Infamy will debut Monday, August 12 at 9 p.m. and will be followed by Season 2 of Lodge 49 at 10 p.m.

Created by Jim Gavin, Lodge 49 is a modern fable set in Long Beach, CA that centers on likable “Squire” and ex-surfer Sean “Dud” Dudley (Wyatt Russell), whose beloved fraternal order — the Ancient and Benevolent Order of the Lynx — is suffering under new rule by an ill-suited leader. Despite his “Knight” and mentor Ernie’s (Brent Jennings) lost faith, and his twin sister Liz’s (Sonya Cassidy) struggle with their past, Dud believes he is the key to restoring the Lodge to its former grandeur and putting the rightful king on the throne.

Gavin executive produces alongside showrunner Peter Ocko, Paul Giamatti, Dan Carey and Jeff Freilich. Lodge 49 is an AMC Studios production.

Last edited:
Lodge 49 Reveals New Teasers for Season 2: Watch
Dud's twin sister Liz and mentor Ernie appear in the brief clips

Lodge-49-season-two-teaser-trailer-clips-poster.png

Lodge 49 Season Two

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/lodge-49-season-two-teaser/

Last summer, AMC debuted the first season of their Long Beach, California-set dramedyLodge 49. The quirky, unpredictable surf-set series instantly captured our attention and affections, leading us to name it one of the best TV shows of 2018. With Season Two of the critical hit premiering on August 12th, the network has revealed three new teasers ofLodge 49.

The show revolves around protagonist surfer dude Sean “Dud” Dudley (Wyatt Russell) and his induction into the Ancient and Benevolent Order of the Lynx. Originally dropped via Entertainment Weekly, the first of the new clips features Dud himself hobbling into a cheesy surf shop. The other two scenes feature Dud’s increasingly forgetful mentor Ernie (Brent Jennings) and clumsily hapless twin sister Liz (Sonya Cassidy).

Check out two new teasers below, and watch a third one here.

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/219646971/default_default/index.html?videoId=6048722809001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

lodge-49-season-two-poster-1.jpg
lodge-49-season-two-poster-3.jpg
lodge-49-season-two-poster-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom