Looking for more history on the Nike Puerto Rico collection

Been searching around for the history and some stories about the PR Nike shoes, specifically the trio of red, white, and blue Air Force 1s from the early 2000’s. I have been trying to track down all three for myself and I would also like to find a DS pair of the red guys for my grandmother. Any small stories help I truly cannot find any information about this collection online. When did it start, who at Nike proposed the idea, are there any samples that got into the publics hands, did any pairs release only in Puerto Rico.

Bobbito Garcia. He and Mike Parker grew up in the uws Manhattan (but went to school in Spanish Harlem which was little Puerto Rico back then) and wanted to make a shoe to celebrate the annual Puerto Rican day parade in nyc (the one in Spanish Harlem not midtown)

Been searching around for the history and some stories about the PR Nike shoes, specifically the trio of red, white, and blue Air Force 1s from the early 2000’s. I have been trying to track down all three for myself and I would also like to find a DS pair of the red guys for my grandmother. Any small stories help I truly cannot find any information about this collection online. When did it start, who at Nike proposed the idea, are there any samples that got into the publics hands, did any pairs release only in Puerto Rico.

I got my first pair in 2003 at a Foot Action in Ford City Mall (Chicago). Given that it's been 2 decades since it's hard to remember everything but I believe the first pair was a White/Blue (which looks to have been the inspiration for a pair that released in 2020 with minor changes) in 2001, 2002 was Wht/Red, 2003 Navy/Wht/Red (not official color code/name). Last pair I copped was Red/White.. Nike upped the production numbers on this one, they were easy to find and not as good looking as the first 2, which were barebones, a instant classic that almost felt like a bootleg, like they shouldn't exist, Nike PR, it was crazy. Third colorway wasn't all that either but they flipped it and they looked good enough to cop. The first 2 tho, that was a very different time in sneakers and hunting them, not many were online with it back then and even then few knew they existed or had access.

Back
Top Bottom