**Mac Heads/ Graphic Designers Check In: I need help**

Aight. Where you at crisone/ bana? I'm going to buy a new mac. I currently have a powerbook and I need to upgrade (badly). I was thinking of a macbook, butI do some side projects with Graphic Design and Photoshop-type-stuff. I want to know if a macbook is fine for photoshop or other adobe suite programs, or ifshould I splurge for the pro. Help is appreciated.

-Rob Ack

p.s. I plan on Graphic Design being my major in college.

rock a pro.

macbook is just for light stuff. even with 2gb of ram you don't wanna be opening 200mb psd's on it.

the pro dude. it has a dedicated graphics card. bigger screen.
higher capacity to do more high end programs.
go into an apple store and give each a try.

i got a macbook exactly 2 weeks ago...i was dissappointed due to lack of screen and power im getting my pro right now though so all well ends well

You could survive on a MacBook, but seeing as you kept your previous one so long I would say make the jump to the Pro because it will serve you better in thelong run.

The should be updating the MacBook Pros soon as people speculate so I would wait for the new MBP. I am currently on a 2.4Ghz 15" MBP and I couldn't behappier.. This thing can take anything I throw at it.. and I do alot of heavy Video work, frame altering, encoding etc.... Go with the midline MBP when itcomes out
happy.gif

Aright NT. Here's the plan/ situation. I have a mac lab at school, and I do some work in there for the school (i.e. flyers, posters, buisness cards etc)
I'm thinking about getting the lowest-end macbook and just using the lab at school for major tasks. Then, before I go to college in a year and a half, Isell my macbook and upgrade to a pro. Sound good?

^^^That sounds good, then when you buy your MBP you can use the student discount (which technicaly you could now) to get a free printer and a free iPod.
The resell value of that MacBook would be higher during that season as alot of students will be looking to buy a labtop for college, keep the box and all theparts in good condition and you have a good idea.

Originally Posted by tdrizzle

^^^That sounds good, then when you buy your MBP you can use the student discount (which technicaly you could now) to get a free printer and a free iPod.
The resell value of that MacBook would be higher during that season as alot of students will be looking to buy a labtop for college, keep the box and all the parts in good condition and you have a good idea.

Thanks fam. And I bum off my sisters student discount now.
pimp.gif

Just out of curousity where you going to school?

I ask because if you plan on going to art school I would just keep the Mac Book if thats what you end up getting and wait to see what the school wants you tobuy/will sell you... A lot of the bigger more well to do art schools all do a similar thing with their students and selling them MBP's loaded withsoftware. Just as an example I have an iMac but I also have MBP that I got thru school where I paid for the MBP itself (minus tax because they're taxexempt and they pass that along to you) and they loaded about 5k worth in software that I have licenses for up until I graduate at which point they'll sellme the license at the education pricing discounted rate (which for adobe is about 2/3 off).

Originally Posted by ebayologist

Just out of curousity where you going to school?

I ask because if you plan on going to art school I would just keep the Mac Book if thats what you end up getting and wait to see what the school wants you to buy/will sell you... A lot of the bigger more well to do art schools all do a similar thing with their students and selling them MBP's loaded with software. Just as an example I have an iMac but I also have MBP that I got thru school where I paid for the MBP itself (minus tax because they're tax exempt and they pass that along to you) and they loaded about 5k worth in software that I have licenses for up until I graduate at which point they'll sell me the license at the education pricing discounted rate (which for adobe is about 2/3 off).

I'm looking at cooper union (first choice), pratt, and SAIC. those are my main schools. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

don't be offend and i'm not dissing you at all but
laugh.gif
@ cooper union... good luck...

Pratt is cool though. Real interesting neighborhood. After the campus tour there I went and had my first ever slice of Juniors Cheese Cake.

You look into SVA or Parsons at all?

if you're gonna do that i HIGHLY reccomend getting the 17" pro.... i'm doing some amateur stuff on my 15" and it gets kind of annoying for itbeing so small..

i use a black macbook with 2gb ram.. and CS3 runs butter smooth, i be having bridge and photoshop open at once and theres no sign of lag or anything.. evenwith itunes on .... if u need a bigger screen just buy a computer monitor

save yourself some cash

don't be offend and i'm not dissing you at all but
laugh.gif
@ cooper union... good luck...

Pratt is cool though. Real interesting neighborhood. After the campus tour there I went and had my first ever slice of Juniors Cheese Cake.

You look into SVA or Parsons at all?

Not offended at all. I really don't imagine getting into Cooper Union
laugh.gif
. I have looked at Parsons, not SVA though. I definitely want NY or Chicago.

i didn't realize the massive amount of power you would need for cs3 so you should get the pro, i changed my mind

The plan to study graphic design? Or what other medium(s) do you do?

Yeah, I've read Cooper Union averages a sub 10% acceptance rate. Like the only places with lower acceptance rates are sometimes Havard/Yale and places w/Juilliard type steez...

The plan to study graphic design? Or what other medium(s) do you do?

Yeah, I've read Cooper Union averages a sub 10% acceptance rate. Like the only places with lower acceptance rates are sometimes Havard/Yale and places w/ Juilliard type steez...

Yeah, graphic design. I do a lot of stuff: photography, collages, painting

Back
Top Bottom