Madoff: NYC Penthouse, $62 Million Are Mine

Disgraced Money Manager Claims Place Where He Lives Under House Arrest Should Not Be Subject To Seizure

NEW YORK (CBS) ―
Bernard_Madoff84069346.jpg
Bernard L. Madoff walks down Lexington Ave to his apartment on Dec.17, 2008, in New York City.
Don Emmert/AFP/Getty Images

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Bernie Madoff is accused of fleecing his clients out of billions, but he said Monday he shouldn't be forced into the poorhouse.

His lawyers are arguing that Madoff should be entitled to keep the $7 million apartment he's currently being held in while under house arrest and $62 million, including $45 million in municipal bonds.

Court papers filed on Monday state that Madoff and his lawyer say the Manhattan penthouse and the millions held in accounts of Madoff's wife, Ruth, are not subject to seizure.

The court papers say Madoff claims the apartment and the money are unrelated to a $50 billion fraud Madoff has been accused of carrying out.

The FBI arrested Madoff in December after investigators said he confessed to his sons that he had swindled investors of $50 billion in a Ponzi scheme. The 70-year-old former Nasdaq chairman remains confined to his Manhattan apartment under house arrest.

He was arrested and charged with securities fraud after authorities said in court papers that he confessed to his sons that he had carried out a giant Ponzi scheme for years, using new money from investors to pay off early investors while bogus statements claimed consistent gains.

The bonds in an account held by Ruth Madoff at COHMAD Securities Corp. and about $17 million held by her in a Wachovia Bank account "are unrelated to the alleged Madoff fraud and only Ruth Madoff has a beneficial interest in these assets," Bernard Madoff and lawyer Ira Sorkin say, according to the papers.

Sorkin declined to comment Monday.

A court-appointed trustee overseeing the liquidation of Madoff's assets has said the apartment and other property used to secure bail was off limits for now. But if there's a conviction, those assets and possibly property of Madoff "insiders" could be seized to help pay claims by alleged victims, which so far total about $1 billion.

"We are looking at every member of the Madoff family," David Sheen, an attorney representing the trustee, said recently regarding the personal property.

The information was contained in an order of consent asking a judge to grant the federal government authority to seek forfeiture of assets involved in any fraud. It was filed in a case brought by the SEC against Madoff.

The request was made by Madoff, his wife, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Securities Investor Protection Corp. and trustee Irving H. Picard. Judge Louis L. Stanton signed the order Monday afternoon.

Picard has said that nearly $950 million in cash and securities has been recovered for investors so far.
The audacity.

I honestly can't believe this guy is still alive.

Santander, UBS, all those old folk in FL get got and are just like oh, FML.

There has to be a price on 'ole boys head.

Originally Posted by nicefro

I honestly can't believe this guy is still alive.

Santander, UBS, all those old folk in FL get got and are just like oh, FML.

There has to be a price on 'ole boys head.
word. dude has power and a lot of connections imo

yo i watched 20/20 or dateline one of them joints.............it just baffles me how it went on for so long, HE HAD TO have a lot of ppl in onit................like it really is something crazy.

people lost sooooooooooo much, had to sell homes everything, lost family wealth. damn.........................

Madoff has mob ties and he can be traced all the way back to Michael Milken these guys are pro con men who are the insiders of insiders nothing will happen tohim.

http://www.deepcapture.co...and-naked-short-selling/

Some of their "boys" tried to rip off the CEO of Overstock.com who writes the deepcapture blog. they have threatened his life numerous times.

Steven Cohen is part of the group as well if you know who he is it all makes sense.

Not only did he not do this alone its not an isolated incident either....this economy is going to expose a lot of people

Riiiiiiight, he needs to get life so it doesn't matter if they were related or not.

I wonder how many guns he has in that apartment. David Koresh status.

That dude is greedy. He stole more money than he could ever spend and still stole more money
smh.gif

The sad part is that he's going to keep a lot of his assets. It'll be hard to differentiate what assets were the fruits of his crime and came from hisown money.

Probably turned a lot of it to either his wife or offsprings.

This guy is pure evil.... stealing 50 Billions including money from you most trusted firends????!!!!!

easy...sell all his belongings under the presumption that they were bought with the funds he scammed people out of and leave him broke with no resources. Thenmake it impossible for him to get a job that pays over minumum wage. Flip burgers old man

My man was hustlin on a level no rapper, drug dealer, or pimp could ever relate to

Originally Posted by Twig1026

easy...sell all his belongings under the presumption that they were bought with the funds he scammed people out of and leave him broke with no resources. Then make it impossible for him to get a job that pays over minumum wage. Flip burgers old man
I'm all for it but guys like him know how to navigate the system. He had to know he was going to get caught at some point.

Originally Posted by nicefro

mob ties??

Read the link if you are interested. There is tons and tons of info. The mob is so deep in hedge funds and all the way back to Michael Milken's days its ashame.

Also the guy who reported him to the SEC Harry Markopolis was also aware. this is serious business

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...oman_to_markopolos_youre_a_modern-day_gre.php

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsme...s_sec_has_just_one_bloomberg_terminal_per.php
harry-markopolos-muck.jpg
[h2]Markopolos: Madoff's Mob Ties Made Me Fear For My Life[/h2]
By Zachary Roth - February 4, 2009, 11:45AM

For a while now, there have been suggestions that Bernard Madoff had ties to organized crime. And Harry Markopolos just told Congress that those alleged connections made him fear for his life as a whistleblower working to expose Madoff's scheme.

When a committee member referred to Markopolos' "paranoia" about his safety, he responded by referring to Madoff's "dirty money."

Here's the full quote:
I don't consider it paranoia. And the reason is, Mr. Madoff was running such a large scheme of unimaginable size and complexity, and he had a lot of dirty money. And let me describe dirty money to you. When you're that big and you're that secrective, you're going to attract a lot of organized crime money, and which we now know came from the Russian mob and the Latin American drug cartel, and when you are zeroing out mobsters, you have a lot to fear. And he could not afford to get caught, because once he was caught. And if he would've known my name and knew he had a team tracking him, I didn't think I was long for this world.

Most of this all comes down to hedge funds and banks laundering money drug money. There is alot more to the "conspiracy" but NT doesntlike to hear anything that isnt main stream

Wasn't he mailing out $4 million checks to random relatives??

Seriously how much was dude worth? Okay, I know he ripped off a lot of people, but how much did dude have 'liquid'??

smh.gif
can't believe they got him under house arrest. if I was the judge I wouldof thrown him in with the wolves in Rikers.

They should use all the money he has to flip him inside out and never let him work or do anything again. Just let him rot in some alleyway with full mediacoverage 24/7.

Damn he must have got under a lot of you guys' skin....wishing death on him....I'm not trying to play devils advocate here but recover what you can andfix the system...he's 70 he doesn't have much longer anyways let him live out his last days in prison or broke would do a lot more than killinghim...he made connections and saw holes and opportunities to make money with the system in place....no one cared where the money came from (hence mob ties) andno one cared how it was made as long as they got paid (hence it going on for so long)...

Originally Posted by KICKS OFF

smh.gif
can't believe they got him under house arrest. if I was the judge I would of thrown him in with the wolves in Rikers.
He's not going to Rikers, thats a fact
laugh.gif

(white-collar) Crime pays, literally.

my dude theone always sprinkling tidbits of knowledge.....

Someone photoshop dirty in the crowd of photographers!! jk

Back
Top Bottom