Mahmoud A.Rauf (aka Chris Jackson) best college player I've ever seen

29 ppg career scoring average....
46%fg, 86% ft, 37% from 3......
If you can think of a better player, please let me know....

Chris Mullin > him

3 Time Big East player of the year
1984 Wooden Award winner and USBWA Player of the year
Final Four appearence

On top of it Big East > _____ in the 1980's

Penny Hardaway was the most explosive exciting college player I have ever seen when he was at Memphis. He was amazing.

Chris Mullin > him
Please.....
eyes.gif

I saw Mullin, and while he was good.....C Jax was just straight up UN-GUARDABLE.

And Zo, Penny was exciting.....but are you telling me he was BETTER than Mahmoud?

Cause he's white right? Because he wasnt explosive or dunking on dudes?

JK

But forreal, Besides the "explosivenes" you cant tell me anything he can do better than Mullin.

Pete Maravich, hands down when talking about a scorer

Damn, forgot bout Pistol. Well played, close thread.

First off the guy who went to the same school...

Pete Maravich, hands down when talking about a scorer

From the 80's and on

Patrick Ewing
David Robinson

And a bunch of other guys a case can be made for from that time

And pre 80's

Walton, Alcindor, Russell , Big O, etc

Allen the title was "players that I have SEEN" ...... so I'm talking about watching them play live. Unless you're in your 40's or50's, Pistol ain't gonna cut it
laugh.gif

And yes I saw Pat and David (although Navy wasn't on tv often so probably more highlights).....I'm sorry but I would have to take Abdul-Rauf over thosetwo.

But forreal, Besides the "explosivenes" you cant tell me anything he can do better than Mullin.

How about dribble, pass, and defend.

Mannn I remember Chris Jackson playing vs UNLV and he caught a reverse dunk off a lob and I went Nuts, ranin my room and started doin reverse dunks on the nerf
laugh.gif

But I remember vividly Sean Elliotts last 2 yrs at Arizona and to me, he is the best college player Ive seen.

Check the stats Gritty, they average just about the same assists and steals, but dribble? Who the hell cares, I know dudes who can dribble there@@!+ off andwell thats just about all they can do.

Dude averaged 55% FG percentage for career at St. Johns, for a jump shooter that's crazy.

37% 3pt% in college? That's terrible.

^^

I'd take Larry Johnson over him...even if only 2 years

Glenn Robinson is close along with Hill and yes, Christian Laettner

I'd also throw in (probably not better tho)

Marcus Camby for consideration

And the player who just made me say
eek.gif
and just be blown away by wasIverson. I've never seen anyone as quick with the ball in the college game then him as a sophomore

Check the stats Gritty, they average just about the same assists and steals, but dribble? Who the hell cares, I know dudes who can dribble there@@!+ off and well thats just about all they can do.

Dude averaged 55% FG percentage for career at St. Johns, for a jump shooter that's crazy.

First you tell me to list some things that Mahmoud did better (skill wise) and then you say "who the hell cares"
roll.gif

Now as far as "checking the stats" goes......please don't base any arguments on stats alone.
Was Mullin a good shooter? Of course... A better shooter than Mahmoud? Well he was a 6'1 sg who probably took and made some of the most difficult shotspossible night in and night out. Think A.I with a better jumper, and maybe even better hops......37% in college is terrible?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Larry Johnson was a great player, but again I don't think he was unguardable....as for Laettner? Well I'm gonna pretend I didn't see that
wink.gif

Laettner I threw in for what he accomplished in the team game..no not as good individually

4 final 4's...2 titles...and was as clutch as it gets

Oh and for the record, I love what AI did at G'Town but Mahmoud was still better than Iverson.

I just don't think he got his proper due because he played at LSU and not in the Big East, Big 10, etc....

Originally Posted by grittyman20

Check the stats Gritty, they average just about the same assists and steals, but dribble? Who the hell cares, I know dudes who can dribble there@@!+ off and well thats just about all they can do.

First you tell me to list some things that Mahmoud did better (skill wise) and then you say "who the hell cares"
roll.gif

Now as far as "checking the stats" goes......please don't base any arguments on stats alone.
Was Mullin a good shooter? Of course... A better shooter than Mahmoud? Well he was a 6'1 sg who probably took and made some of the most difficult shots possible night in and night out. Think A.I with a better jumper, and maybe even better hops......37% in college is terrible?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Larry Johnson was a great player, but again I don't think he was unguardable....as for Laettner? Well I'm gonna pretend I didn't see that
wink.gif

I'm not basing it on stats alone, just look at what he accomplished while playing. Dude played in the Big East, just look who is competition was. Andyes, 37% is terrible, just imagine what Mullins would have been if there was a 3pt. line there when he played.

Sean Elliott
Joe Smith
Mark Macon

are tops on my "best Ive ever seen" list

*edit, I forgot about Jamal Mashburn.

Dude played in the Big East, just look who is competition was.
Well since this topic is about players that YOU HAVE SEEN.....let me ask you just exactly who was balling in theBig East those years?
eyes.gif

Gunna, M. Macon went to my high school.....I swear to goodness dude was like a straight up defensive player who probably scored eh, maybe close to 15-20 a game(although his points were very quiet. I had NO IDEA that he would turn into the scorer he did
eek.gif
)

My list would have to be:

C.Jackson
S. O'Neal
Calbert Cheaney *

*(although he's nowhere near one of the greatest college players, I grew upwatching a lot of Big 10 basketball, so I saw so many of his games....dude was just
alien.gif
with his )

I've seen them both, and I just think that Mahmoud was slightly better than AI.....just my opinion tho

Joe Smith

college was the best thing to ever happen to this guy...unlike Chris Jackson, he was a no one coming out of hs....he took it to othella harrington his veryfirst game..26 and 9.

the end of the 40pt Duke-Cherokee game...I think that's Sarunas Jaskshisdfcilch on UMD at the end too..

And the player who just made me say
eek.gif
and just be blown away by was Iverson. I've never seen anyone as quick with the ball in the college game then him as a sophomore
Co-Sign. The first time I saw him play, I was just in awe at the speed and quickness of this guy. He was so much faster with the ball then theregular player runnin without the ball.
The game against UConn when he had 8 steals was just TOO easy. Dude was on every pass like a cornerback. I have never seen Mahmoud, So Allen is the bestcollege player I have ever seen. My favorite player of all-time behind Mike.

Back
Top Bottom