man uses physics to get out of $400 ticket...

This article first ran in April and was one of the most popular stories from Motoramic in 2012. After it ran, the judge in the case said many of the physics arguments presented escaped her.

A physicist at the University of California San Diego used his knowledge of measuring bodies in motion to show in court why he couldn't be guilty of a ticket for failing to halt at a stop sign. The argument, now a four-page paper delving into the differences between angular and linear motion, supposedly got the physicist out of a $400 ticket. If you want to use this excuse, you'll have to learn a little math -- and some powers of persuasion.

The paper  by Dmitri Krioukov titled "The Proof of Innocence," notes in the abstract that it's "a way to fight your traffic tickets," and was "awarded a special prize of $400 that the author did not have to pay to the state of California." (It's also posted with a date of April 1, so downloader beware.)  Krioukov claims he was approaching a stop sign in his Toyota Yaris  when a police officer saw him roll through the intersection, apparently without stopping, and pulled him over. Case closed — except that Krioukov says he was able to show a confluence of events that only made it seem he hadn't stopped.

First, the officer was watching the stop sign saw Krioukov's car from the side, distorting his idea of how fast Krioukov was traveling before the stop. At the stop sign itself, Krioukov contended he had stopped — but the officer's view was briefly blocked by a passing car. When Krioukov started again, the officer's sense of Krioukov's speed made it seem he had never stopped at all.

Krioukov told PhysicsCentral  that the case and his argument were real, but that he left a flaw in his work for others to find, and sure enough a few commenters found the Yaris-based defect quickly. Leave it to a physicist to create an explanation that ends with people doubting whether the problem explained actually existed at all.

yahoo news.

late pass?

Last edited:
Speaking with the San Diego Union-Tribune, Karen Riley, the San Diego Superior Court commissioner who heard the case, says her decision last year to vacate Krioukov's ticket for not coming to a complete stop "was not based on his physics explanation...It was based on the officer's view ... The officer, wasn't close enough to the intersection to have a good view."

:nerd:

Now let's get him to beat a speeding ticket so we can use his logic in that case.

Now let's get him to beat a speeding ticket so we can use his logic in that case.

Ive done it before... physics rules... no fine no pts

It was on one of those laser speed traps they set up along the road... some prof from purdue beat the machine and i basically used the same excuse. Google it. I dunno if they only use the laser traps n PA or not tho.

Yeah my Physics teacher was telling use how to use a method similar to the Doppler Effect to get out of a speeding ticket. I forgot the exact explanation but it had to do with the angle at which the cops radar gun is pointed towards you and how fast you are going as you approach the cop compared to when you pass the cop.

of the 9 times i have gotten a speeding ticket, only one was issued (the rest were warnings)........but those parking tickets. 
sick.gif

Last edited:
Anyone remember the story of the kid who got a speeding ticket, but went through a rather expensive way of proving his car coudnt even reach X mph. The money wasnt the issue, it was the points he didnt want on his license.

He was successful. 
pimp.gif

Cool story. Seriously. I'm on my cell, but does the article link to the professor's 4 page paper?

that's awesome I took @ physics classes in college and wondered if physics could be used to get out of a speeding ticket.

i think i read it no here, but when police pulled dude over he told him he was going 70 mph.  Driver said, that's impossible to know i've only been driving for 20 minutes. got a little chuckle out of it

Back
Top Bottom