Mangini, head coach of the Cleveland Browns- update: Rob Ryan to join him as DC

Browns Backers,

According to WEEI 850AM Sports Radio's Michael Holley in Boston, ex-Jets coach Eric Mangini will become the new coach of the Cleveland Browns by the end of the week and has already begun targeting assistants for his old New York Jets staff to come join him in Cleveland, as reported by Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Although it is not confirmed or official yet, it wouldn't come as a surprise since Mangini has emerged as the frontrunner for the Browns head coaching job after a very good interview with Browns owner Randy Lerner last week.

Mangini, 37, was 23-26 during his three years with the New York Jets, including making the playoffs twice and taking a 4-12 team to 10-6 in his rookie year.

Mangini had the Jets on a collision course with the crosstown Giants and a potential all-New York Super Bowl at 8-3 before watching his team lose four out its last five games, including a home game for the AFC East title to ex-Jets quarterback Chad Pennington and the Miami Dolphins, which all but sealed his fate.

Personally, Mangini was unfairly made the scapegoat for Brett Favre's choke job and maybe a change in scenery would be good. While that remains to be seen, and with the Browns looking to talk to Eagles GM Tom Heckert, Lerner might get the proven and experienced GM that he sorely needs.

More to come later,

Dawgfather

I'm starting to feel like we got a steal. NY chose Favre over Mangini, which I feel was the wrong choice, but now he'll be in Cleveland. Im really gladwe didn't get Ferentz out of Iowa.

Apparently he's begun assembling staff and is targeting Bill Callahan as OC. Good choice IMO...He runs a WC offense and the short passing game is ideal forBrady Quinn. Then you got the home run hitter in Braylon (if he gets his head straight).

They didn't choose Farve over Mangini, they chose possibly being a good team (Firing Mangina) over probably sucking (Keeping Mangina).

Originally Posted by dreClark

They didn't choose Farve over Mangini, they chose possibly being a good team (Firing Mangina) over probably sucking (Keeping Mangina).

Pretty much.

Mangina wasn't terrible...but if you have a coach that names his kid after a dude that he has no personal connection to(Favre)...you know he's notright for your team

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by d0nt w0rry about it

this seems like a completely lateral move in my opinion..
Pretty much how I feel. Is he better than Crennel? Possibly...but not by much, imo.

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Originally Posted by CP1708

Scrathes Cleveland off list of teams to worry about.

The Browns..... only thing separating them and the Lions is wins.....
sick.gif
The only thing separating the Lions and every other team in the NFL is wins
laugh.gif

If the Lions would've played the Browns at the end of the season, the Lions would've won by 14...and this coming from a Browns' fan.

Have fun with the emotionless Mangini, Brown fans. The same Mangini who would "make certain calls because they looked good at the time".

You're getting the ball boy Mangini that he was once was for your Browns, ironically.

Yes, I'm a mad Jets fan. I was a supporter of Mangini throughout the season, but I got tired of playcalling real quick as the team slipped away (probablystarting with the Broncos game).

Man, I think he might have a tough time in Cleveland. Oh well, I liked Romeo, but he was a bad coach so it really can't get worse

Back
Top Bottom