**Mariano Rivera APPRECIATION thread** vol. So who's the 2nd greatest closer ever?

darthska

Staff member
If he really is done, then obviously a Yankee fan will make a retirement/appreciation thread. But since it's probable that he's done, let's discuss now.

Me personally, I'm a certified, proud member of Yuck the Fankees, but certain Yankees, I can't hate.

He is at the very tip top of that list of players. CLAAAAAAASS act, DOMINANT numbers, and I dare you to show me where he ever showed up an opponent (pointing and laughing, talking crap about them in interviews, etc.)

Definitely hate the way it has possibly ended for him, and I look forward to whenever he takes the mound for the last time, even if it just for a throw-in appearance where the Evil Empire is up 21-0 on the Twins.

Definitely appreciated
pimp.gif
.  It's crazy to think he's dominated the league with one pitch, and he never let that affect his ego.  I hope he sticks it out for one more season, if anything, so he can get a proper farewell.  His career has been way too great for it to end like this
ohwell.gif

I've been to a lot of different stadiums and a lot of different fan bases and I've never heard a bad word about Mariano Rivera. The best thing about him IMO is that he has always been extremely fan friendly and very accessible. He's always out there for 30-45 minutes at every stadium signing autographs and just kidding around with fans. There is no one even close to being as good as he was as a closer for so long and not even mentioning his postseason prowess. I highly doubt anyone else will. If this is the end, thank you for everything Mo and you'll be sorely missed by the fans and the team.

big Trevor Hoffman fan signing in...

Mariano is the best there was, best there is, and best there ever will be
pimp.gif

yankee stadium could disintegrate for all i care but Mo is greatly appreciated.

I'd hate to see it end like this. Thankfully I was able to see him pitch live for the last time on April 19.

Him and Jeter are the last two players from that dynasty. Really don't want to see Mo call it quits. Jeter's found the fountain of youth, hopefully Mo can too next year.

I absolutely can't stand the Yankees but I couldn't help but feel a little sad when I heard he tore his ACL. Mo was always a class act, he will be missed.

Mariano and Derek are the only Yankees I never hated. Even when Derek had that famous flip against us, I was more in shock than angry about it. Plus dumb*** Jeremy Giambi didn't have the presence of mind to slide.

To answer your question, though, Dennis Eckersley is the second greatest.

just about to post that Eck has to be the second greatest but the first to dominate it...

Originally Posted by BigBrandon

just about to post that Eck has to be the second greatest but the first to dominate it...
I'd have to agree Eck is second. I like Lee Smith though too. But Rivera is the greatest closer of all time but a wide wide margin. Such a class act too. I got sad watching him get chocked up talking to the reporters afterwards...

Trevor is the second best, and to claim that Dennis is second is at best forgetful and at worse disrespectful of the 4 pitchers who were better at that job.
Dennis is the second best pitcher to record a note worthy amount of Saves at closer though.

Like Ska, I'm far from a Yanks fan but Mo is without question or debate the best closer of all-time. I'm alright with Hoffman as second on the list.

Same here Ska, really the only guy out of them all I've ever respected

For the comedy factor though, I need yall to blame A-Rod please

It was either September 19th or 20th of 2008, the final series ever at the old Stadium. I've seen Mariano pitch live since then, but that year, that game, I had bleacher seats. To see him warm up in the bullpen just a few feet away from me, and then hear Enter Sandman blast on the stadium speakers and him trot to the mound, it was too
pimp.gif

I would hate for this to be the end of his career. There should be no argument of whether or not he should have been shagging fly balls or not, because he has done it forever. It's just extremely bad luck.

It's still surreal though and eating me alive as a die-hard Yankees fan, knowing we may never see Mariano pitch for us again.

still cant believe he's done for the year, feels like i lost my favorite uncle .

i been playin enter sandman all morning
frown.gif

Originally Posted by onewearz

still cant believe he's done for the year, feels like i lost my favorite uncle .

i been playin enter sandman all morning
frown.gif

a very wealthy Panamanian uncle
sucks tho
whos the next closer

frown.gif
 I actually teared up after reading about it last night and reading this article on Yahoo! Sports a few minutes ago. He was/is my favorite Yankee ever... gotta wear my 602 saves Yankee fitted today for my dude.
Definitely appreciated.

Look at all his numbers and then realize he did it in the steroid era
30t6p3b.gif
...it's ridiculous.

Dude is a class act all the way.  Definitely appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom