Marlins/Hanley Ramirez working on 6 year/70 million dollar deal

[h1]Florida Marlins working on $70 million deal with Hanley Ramirez[/h1] By Juan C. Rodriguez | Sun-Sentinel.com 11:10 PM EDT, May 9, 2008
Lambasted for their major league-low $21 million payroll and perpetual trading of star players, the Marlins are finally keeping one in the fold.

According to a Ramirez acquaintance, shortstop Hanley Ramirez and the Marlins are on the verge of finalizing a six-year, $70 million contract extension, the largest commitment in franchise history. The deal is pending a physical and an official announcement might not come until early next week.

The Marlins are believed to have initiated talks during spring training. Ramirez, who is making $439,000 this season, would have been eligible for arbitration after this season. Ramirez is taking a huge home discount as this deal buys out his first three years of free agent eligibility.

Marlins President David Samson would not comment. Andy Mota, Ramirez's agent, could not be reached.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-0509ramirez,0,3463470.story

Good stuff and a great move. Post arbitration he was going to see atleast 100 million.

Dammit I was hoping the Giants could cash in on their fire sale
frown.gif

DAMMMMNNNN

The Marlins are putting out know?
What's the deal with the Stadium?

GREAT deal for the Marlins, this dude is going to be a Star

laugh.gif
Stadium deal has been finalized. This is a flat out great move. Postarbitration, Hanley was going to see atleast 100-120 mill, no question. He'll be locked up now for a little under 12 million a year until 2014, if this allworks out. Loria and Sampson for as cheap as a duo they are, aren't stupid. Hanley is a ridiculous ball player.

PS: 21 million dollar payroll, fist place.
eek.gif

Larry Beinfest = genius.

eek.gif
The Marlins finally opening their wallets and keeping an elite young talent?

Originally Posted by Krazecraze

What a steal. $70 million for a stud? Reyes got over $100 million.

Exactly....Hanley could EASILY go out there and command Soriano numbers...

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Krazecraze

What a steal. $70 million for a stud? Reyes got over $100 million.

Exactly....Hanley could EASILY go out there and command Soriano numbers...

Word, GREAT deal for the Marlins.
He will bring the title there, mark my words.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Reyes got over $100 million.

The hell you talkin' about?

just saw that. that's what i would like to know. when did the mets dish out $100 mil. to Reyes? once his contract is up in 2010, as long as he'splaying good, then MAYBE, he will see $100 mil.

The New York Mets announced today that they have signed infielder Jose Reyes to a four-year contract extension worth $23.25 million with a club option for 2011

Hanley is a stud. If the Marlins can build around him, they can contend again. Remember, they have approximately 48,134 prospects in their system from tradingBeckett, Cabrera, Willis, and everybody else on their team.

Carlos Delgado was not a 23 year old superstar. Nor did the Marlins have a stadium deal signed, sealed, and delivered like they do now.

I love teams like the Marlins, Rays, and D-Backs whose farm systems are sooo good (Hanley, Longoria, Upton bros. just to name a few). Young talent isdefinitely the way to go.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

The New York Mets announced today that they have signed infielder Jose Reyes to a four-year contract extension worth $23.25 million with a club option for 2011

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This is nuts though....He's signing an NBA money contract....

He could truly hit a mini A-Rod and Sign 2 100 Million + Contract...

Cause if he signs a 6-7 year contract, he will only be 30 when that is up
eek.gif
eek.gif

Nah I know, the Mets def got a steal with the 2 extensions of Wright and Reyes.

Hanley is a beast though, but I def do not see the Marlins being in first place all season long. Its a feel good story though.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Hanley is a stud. If the Marlins can build around him, they can contend again.

they're in first place right now.

I'm talking about years to come... Standings in April/May don't mean much... Teams usually fade away...

Carlos Delgado was not a 23 year old superstar. Nor did the Marlins have a stadium deal signed, sealed, and delivered like they do now.
so because of the stadium deal you think that ownership won't do the same things that they've always done? i am not giving them thebenefit of the doubt. i don't see hanley finishing out this contract playing for the fish.

who's to say that people are even going to go to the new stadium?

Back
Top Bottom