WELCOME TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE -*RIP STAN LEE & Boseman* - XMEN97 release 3/20

Honestly though Disney is making an exorbitant amount off these properties, it's despicable to ask for more for no reason unless there's more to it. But business is business.

What I don’t get and can someone explain this to me

Being one of the biggest companies on the planet, and in history, wouldn’t Disney have thought this through?

Iike make sure whatever happens in the future one of their biggest new money makers is safe at Disney?

Being one of the biggest companies on the planet, and in history, wouldn’t Disney have thought this through?

Iike make sure whatever happens in the future one of their biggest new money makers is safe at Disney?

Not exactly that simple.. goes back to the 90s when marvel was in financial trouble and sold off the movie rights to their most marketable and profitable entities at that time

MCU started off the backs of at best B level guys

But FFH practically set him up as the heir apparent lol
Suit building theme song and all :frown:
Man, he's still a kid.

They were pushing that theme in place of Uncle Ben or Captain Stacy or the dozen of other father figures Spidey has had. I never put much stock in to it cuz it doesnt 100% jive with Spider-Man and I never fooled myself in to thinking a Sony owned character would be the center of the MCU. Imagine the leverage Sony would have.

He'd have to crash the party to even be a part of the next Avengers movie like he did in Infinity War given he's a kid but making him the next Tony? Think if they took that next step, made him an official Avenger known globally they'd have no good way to explain his disappearance/absence when Sony pulls him.

Thats the thing though Spidey was never @ Disney film wise and isn't a moneymaker when it comes to movies.

After making a billion for Sony they were like ok so lets really do this now that you see what we can do.

Last edited:
As much as fans are complaining, this is the right decision for Sony. Disney is trying to strong arm them into taking a terrible deal. Disney already gets 100% of the merchandising for Spiderman as well as 5% of the Sony Spiderman movies (even though they don't contribute a dime). Now Disney wants to become 50/50 financial and creative partners with Sony on Spiderman AND 50% of ALL SPIDERMAN PROPERTIES (Sinister Six, Venom, etc.). Disney is really tryna Deebo Sony here and I can see why Sony walked away from the table. That being said, I still expect them to get a deal done.

797511CA-29DD-4AE1-A3F7-D65A77EBCAD0.gif

As much as fans are complaining, this is the right decision for Sony. Disney is trying to strong arm them into taking a terrible deal. Disney already gets 100% of the merchandising for Spiderman as well as 5% of the Sony Spiderman movies (even though they don't contribute a dime). Now Disney wants to become 50/50 financial and creative partners with Sony on Spiderman AND 50% of ALL SPIDERMAN PROPERTIES (Sinister Six, Venom, etc.). Disney is really tryna Deebo Sony here and I can see why Sony walked away from the table. That being said, I still expect them to get a deal done.
Disney a whole *** for asking for this, but I dunno if it's the right decision. Under Marvel's watch they'll probably do better and continue to make more money even with that ****ty deal than solo with another reboot.

Nah, I'm sorry but Sony is overplaying their hand. The merchandising rights should not be a part of this discussion:

https://screenrant.com/spider-man-disney-marvel-sony-toys-details/

That was a separate deal done back in 2011, 4 years before the current Sony/Disney deal took place that allowed marvel studios to use Spider-man in 3 team-up films and they would then be the creative minds behind 2 solo films published under Sony. Sony gets all the profit from those films minus 5% of the opening weekend take. Some were saying that's why Far From Home opened on a Tuesday, to try to help downplay those weekend numbers and thereby hurting how much they have to give to DIsney.

That deal is now over. The last reboot Sony did was a proven failure both commercially and critically. Far From Home is their most successful movie ever, undoubtedly helped by being the first marvel movie post Endgame. Disney is just trying to negotiate better terms for themselves on a new deal. 50/50 split on the profits and the production costs. Hollywood Reporter is saying that Disney actually asked for just 30%.

I say **** 'em. End of the day, no one budges and the only people that lose are the fans.

Fox would've kept that same energy had Mordoch not sold 20th century.
Marvel never wanted to work with the ****ty *** FoX-Men though. So it would not even matter what energy they were keeping.

Any time Jackman or Reynolds would be like they want to be in the MCU someway that noise would fall on deaf ears :lol:

Nah, I'm sorry but Sony is overplaying their hand. The merchandising rights should not be a part of this discussion:

https://screenrant.com/spider-man-disney-marvel-sony-toys-details/

That was a separate deal done back in 2011, 4 years before the current Sony/Disney deal took place that allowed marvel studios to use Spider-man in 3 team-up films and they would then be the creative minds behind 2 solo films published under Sony. Sony gets all the profit from those films minus 5% of the opening weekend take. Some were saying that's why Far From Home opened on a Tuesday, to try to help downplay those weekend numbers and thereby hurting how much they have to give to DIsney.

That deal is now over. The last reboot Sony did was a proven failure both commercially and critically. Far From Home is their most successful movie ever, undoubtedly helped by being the first marvel movie post Endgame. Disney is just trying to negotiate better terms for themselves on a new deal. 50/50 split on the profits and the production costs. Hollywood Reporter is saying that Disney actually asked for just 30%.

I say **** 'em. End of the day, no one budges and the only people that lose are the fans.

For as crappy as the Amazing Spiderman movies were, they still made over $700m each. If I were Sony, I'd rather have 100% of $700m instead of 70% of 1B (assuming the box office for the MCU Spiderman films stays that high). Not to mention that Disney wants more creative control of all Spiderman properties (all the villians, Mary Jane, etc.)The financial success of Venom (which made over $850m, which Sony kept all of) and the critical success of Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse (it won an Oscar) probably emboldens Sony into thinking they don't need to bend over for Disney.

Sony isn't in a bad position as far as leverage goes. Marvel has already positioned Spiderman as a central figure in the MCU and is intertwined with alot of other Marvel characters, it would be awkward to just pull him out without explanation now. Also, Disney was planning on making Spiderman a big part of their upcoming Marvel attraction at Disneyland (I guess that's gone now too?)

Last edited:

It's the same amount of money but they'd have to give up alot of creative control to get there, it's not worth it for Sony and I get why they would walk away, especially if an average movie like Venom can make $850m without Disney's influence

Reading up on this Tom rothman dude, who was formerly at fox (and infamously rejected deadpool and was behind what happened to the character at the end of origins) and his role at Sony where he took over for ole girl Amy..

upload_2019-8-22_2-35-47.gif

“Tom is thinking ‘Okay, we’ve learned everything we need to from Kevin’s playbook. We did Venom on our own and we did Spider-Verse,'” comments a Sony insider.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...t-doesnt-need-kevins-playbook-anymore-1233644

upload_2019-8-22_2-44-55.gif

Last edited:
It's the same amount of money but they'd have to give up alot of creative control to get there, it's not worth it for Sony and I get why they would walk away, especially if an average movie like Venom can make $850m without Disney's influence

You honestly don’t think the MCU/CBM boom (Spider-Man being in Civil War in-particular) had any influence on people going to see Venom? I even read somewhere that Venom was supposed to be in the MCU, then found out it was Amazing Spider-Man’s universe. I don’t know, man. I know Venom was planned but who knows if it would’ve went into production had the MCU flopped.

spidey is the most licensed hero in the world and earns a billion plus a year and that was back in 2014: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/superhero-earns-13-billion-a-748281

plus part of the deal was that they could use Spidey in other MCU film (he has been in more Disney films than Sony films) so its not like marvel only reaped the benefits of just the 5% and billion $ on merch annually, spidey merch making disney way more money than sony is on their films since only one spidey film has made a billi and its probably safe to assume merch is always making the mouse a billi every year

its hard to quantify how much spidey brought in for cw, iw and eg but he was a big part of those and those movies wouldnt be the same without him so i think thats a bigger benefit than the 5%

also keep in mind, disney keeps the 100% merch $$$ even if they dont make a deal with sony so thats still a billi a year in their pockets no matter what and i dont think thats just on the spiderman character but the whole spider universe so venom, spiderverse, morbius, carnage, etc... merch are all disneys and according to this, sony has 900 spidey characters they can develop: https://www.inquisitr.com/5340323/m...er-marvel-characters-to-be-developed-by-sony/ :lol:

I don’t know...I tend to lean with the coolness the coolness on this one...Does the merch end of things really play a big roll in the movie deals since it was done separately years earlier? If Sony has an issue, then let them try and re-work that deal as well...

Taking that factor out and looking at it solely as the deal the two had for Spidey being in the MCU? 5% front end, so only on day 1 ticket sales, is really not that much...I mean can we blame Disney for wanting to get some monetary credit for their contribution here? Even at the 30% THR is reporting it might seem high on Disney’s part considering Sony foots the bill on these things...Still yet, Disney offering to pick up that same percentage in the production costs certainly makes things look better for them...

On the other hand who can honestly blame Sony for wanting to protect their highest value property...Also, I’d be pissy too if I were Sony and I couldn’t even get merch profit on my Spidey-Verse film :lol:...

Looking at this now it seems the deal was going to eventually fall through anyway...5 films may have been a blessing all things considered...

It’s 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other at this point...

Really though...Piss on both Sony and Disney for making this whole thing about money...

Last edited:
Reading up on this Tom rothman dude, who was formerly at fox (and infamously rejected deadpool and was behind what happened to the character at the end of origins) and his role at Sony where he took over for ole girl Amy..

upload_2019-8-22_2-35-47.gif

“Tom is thinking ‘Okay, we’ve learned everything we need to from Kevin’s playbook. We did Venom on our own and we did Spider-Verse,'” comments a Sony insider.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...t-doesnt-need-kevins-playbook-anymore-1233644

upload_2019-8-22_2-44-55.gif

:lol: At that Rothman guy...Only in Hollywood can somebody so spectacularly fail up...Absolutely amazing...

Disney def trying to deebo Sony, never been a Sony fan, but this is despicable on Disney’s end...however they about to expose themselves because they really set Tom Holland up as their new poster boy, he was meant to lead the charge now that RDJ gone and it was handled beautifully....but now what? Even if they introduce Wolverine or the F4, the Spidey missing link will always stand out like a sore thumb....legit feel bad for Holland, little homie had a hell of a run ahead of himself...

Back
Top Bottom