Meditative Thought #4 - Do we micro-manage too much of our life, too much of the time? Flow with it

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

What bothers me is how much people CLAIM what others think of them doesn't matter. Just about anything we do outside of making sure we eat, drink, sleep, and have transportation can be traced back to pleasing others. No need to deny it to make yourself seem like this self-pleasing individual.

I mean, I hate to keep bringing it up, the basis of shoe lovers is to impress other men with your shoes. That isn't a self-pleasing hobby.
You are so out of touch with the world that you can't even comprehend why someone would buy a pair of shoes for themselves first.

You can't even fathom the idea of someone buying a car because it fits their lifestyle first or buying shoes because it makes their feet comfortable.

You're a sad individual, dude. There's a whole other existence outside the world you know... and you'll become a better person once you realize it's there.

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

I mean, I hate to keep bringing it up, the basis of shoe lovers is to impress other men with your shoes. That isn't a self-pleasing hobby.

This is my first time hearing this claim. Couldn't disagree more with your opinion.

Go look at the 3 NT interviews posted on here. Henzo, NinjaHood, and the other random do. All 3 start off telling how the get that rush when other dudes comment on their shoes and the amount of attention they got from it.

So what is the point of collecting? Collections, IMO, are meant to show off. That is the #1 reason to collect. To brag, to collect, to tell the world about. It isn't a self-fulfilling act.

I will wait.
So you're going to generalize all collections based on interviews of Henzo, NinjaHood? Henzo, NinjaHood? Yeah, okay.

YOU might collect to impress other guys. There are plenty of people with various collections that they keep under wraps. Nobody's going around bragging about their bottle cap collection or stamp collection but you'd be damned to say they aren't 100% passionate to their hobby.

What bothers me is how much people CLAIM what others think of them doesn't matter. Just about anything we do outside of making sure we eat, drink, sleep, and have transportation can be traced back to pleasing others. No need to deny it to make yourself seem like this self-pleasing individual.

You are so out of touch with the world that you can't even comprehend why someone would buy a pair of shoes for themselves first.

You can't even fathom the idea of someone buying a car because it fits their lifestyle first or buying shoes because it makes their feet comfortable.

You're a sad individual, dude. There's a whole other existence outside the world you know... and you'll become a better person once you realize it's there.

This is my first time hearing this claim. Couldn't disagree more with your opinion.

Go look at the 3 NT interviews posted on here. Henzo, NinjaHood, and the other random do. All 3 start off telling how the get that rush when other dudes comment on their shoes and the amount of attention they got from it.

So what is the point of collecting? Collections, IMO, are meant to show off. That is the #1 reason to collect. To brag, to collect, to tell the world about. It isn't a self-fulfilling act.

I will wait.
So you're going to generalize all collections based on interviews of Henzo, NinjaHood? Henzo, NinjaHood? Yeah, okay.

YOU might collect to impress other guys. There are plenty of people with various collections that they keep under wraps. Nobody's going around bragging about their bottle cap collection or stamp collection but you'd be damned to say they aren't 100% passionate to their hobby.

Man....I just typed up responses to a couple posters and then I went to go hit backspace to delete something and I lost my whole post.....
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

DC your getting overly too defensive of your lifestyle my man.  While I do agree that sometimes the phrase "i'ma do me" is not used in a person's life for the right reason, you also need to look at the other side of the coin that your advocating that is "i'ma do me, by collecting material possessions in order to bag some females."  I can only speak from my point of view on this but this perpetually ongoing love for the "hype" in attaining praise from others is not anywhere near the happiness of doing something YOU love.  Now if YOU love collecting sneakers for yourself because of your deep love for that model or what have you then I would say "hell yea" go for it...I mean look at Dirty for example...he collected Air Rifts when I continually expressed my distaste for them but now I realize that he was doing that because he genuinely felt an affinity towards them...Now that I look back on that I knocked him because I considered those kicks not up to par with my sb's but in retrospect he had a deeper appreciation for his rifts than I did with my SB's.

While you may think this world is based on a "game" mentality where you need to 1 up others in order for you to shine, you must realize that in no point in doing this are you actually being a genuine person.  While you may be getting what you want out of this world from doing so and I cannot hate on that, I feel that you will never be able to continually do this for the rest of your life and that your just doing this initial baiting of females through clever product placement on or around yourself so that you can plant some seeds but will eventually turn out to be your girl saying "you know what...you used to take me out to fancy places, wear the best clothes, and wine and dine me....now look at you" because you couldn't keep up.  You garner what you put off in this life, and while I can't possibly say for sure that this will be your case just go look at divorce court television.

I think you look at people posting their kicks on this site as always becoming a form of bragging...and I can say that a majority of it is...but your leaving out those who do it for the sole purpose of enjoying certain sneakers that are aesthetically pleasing to themselves.

I think the real plight we're facing right now is what we consider happiness.  Its a real roundabout way for us to discover what happiness is and it's highly individualized like you were pointing too.  What we might consider happiness right now is not the same thing we might see years from now, BUT the goal is being able to sustain a type of happiness a majority of the time and from my standing you really can't achieve this by putting all your confidence/happiness in external sources.  It really has to originate from within with who you are as an individual...a unique one of a kind entity...with all the materialistic contraptions only helping in accentuating what's already there.  People have become happy in this world with less that nothing of material wealth in their possession.  But I hear more about these days of materially rich people losing it all and turning into shambles because they don't know how to cope in this world without their "things" to support their physical image.

But i'd also like to put it out there that what you want out of this life is what your gonna need to put into it.  Like the quote from 40-year old virgin "If doing the right thing hasn't been working for you, maybe you need to try some wrong."

Man....I just typed up responses to a couple posters and then I went to go hit backspace to delete something and I lost my whole post.....
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
tired.gif

DC your getting overly too defensive of your lifestyle my man.  While I do agree that sometimes the phrase "i'ma do me" is not used in a person's life for the right reason, you also need to look at the other side of the coin that your advocating that is "i'ma do me, by collecting material possessions in order to bag some females."  I can only speak from my point of view on this but this perpetually ongoing love for the "hype" in attaining praise from others is not anywhere near the happiness of doing something YOU love.  Now if YOU love collecting sneakers for yourself because of your deep love for that model or what have you then I would say "hell yea" go for it...I mean look at Dirty for example...he collected Air Rifts when I continually expressed my distaste for them but now I realize that he was doing that because he genuinely felt an affinity towards them...Now that I look back on that I knocked him because I considered those kicks not up to par with my sb's but in retrospect he had a deeper appreciation for his rifts than I did with my SB's.

While you may think this world is based on a "game" mentality where you need to 1 up others in order for you to shine, you must realize that in no point in doing this are you actually being a genuine person.  While you may be getting what you want out of this world from doing so and I cannot hate on that, I feel that you will never be able to continually do this for the rest of your life and that your just doing this initial baiting of females through clever product placement on or around yourself so that you can plant some seeds but will eventually turn out to be your girl saying "you know what...you used to take me out to fancy places, wear the best clothes, and wine and dine me....now look at you" because you couldn't keep up.  You garner what you put off in this life, and while I can't possibly say for sure that this will be your case just go look at divorce court television.

I think you look at people posting their kicks on this site as always becoming a form of bragging...and I can say that a majority of it is...but your leaving out those who do it for the sole purpose of enjoying certain sneakers that are aesthetically pleasing to themselves.

I think the real plight we're facing right now is what we consider happiness.  Its a real roundabout way for us to discover what happiness is and it's highly individualized like you were pointing too.  What we might consider happiness right now is not the same thing we might see years from now, BUT the goal is being able to sustain a type of happiness a majority of the time and from my standing you really can't achieve this by putting all your confidence/happiness in external sources.  It really has to originate from within with who you are as an individual...a unique one of a kind entity...with all the materialistic contraptions only helping in accentuating what's already there.  People have become happy in this world with less that nothing of material wealth in their possession.  But I hear more about these days of materially rich people losing it all and turning into shambles because they don't know how to cope in this world without their "things" to support their physical image.

But i'd also like to put it out there that what you want out of this life is what your gonna need to put into it.  Like the quote from 40-year old virgin "If doing the right thing hasn't been working for you, maybe you need to try some wrong."

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Alot of good insightful things being posted right now...I just wanna add a couple more things into this thought train:

I don't think I touched on this in my initial post but it was somewhat touched on by a couple of the above posters...I feel like we need to differentiate and separate what we need to do for ourselves versus what we need to do for others.

And all this really boils down to is happiness, doesn't it? But in order for us to know what happiness feels like we need to know what it's like to not be happy...how they usually say " you don't know what you've got until it's gone" or " you don't know what you have until the well runs dry"

They say confidence is the key to getting what you want out of this world...women, status..etc. But does confidence stem from the inside out or the outside in? Right now I feel like saying its both. You need to be both positive and firm that who you are, your character speaks volumes about what you've been through and what you have learned...but at the same time I would absolutely be lying if I said that I didn't like a nice pair of clean chucks or tennis sneakers in the summer to make me feel even better. Why? Was I "brainwashed" into thinking this by ads and t.v. that I needed a clean pair of kicks to feel better about myself? Possibly...but it's so far back that I couldn't tell you if something like that happened. But what I do know is what I feel in this present moment...and what I feel is an affinity towards clean sneakers.

But relating this to my original post...does this relate to me appeasing myself through appeasing other individuals with my clean sneakers so they have a better impression of me? Am I placing my control in external forces/objects/people? Truthfully speaking I would again say both...i'd be lying to say that the product of me liking to wear new/clean kicks while making me feel better does also increase my happiness if I do get a positive comment about them from others...
True confidence comes from the inside. If you allow other influences (people, media, pop culture) to dictate how confident you are, then you also allow them to take it away.

Same goes with happiness and balance in your life.. I believe all these aspects of life need to begin from the inside and need to be controlled by YOU.

Do things because YOU want to do them and because they make YOU happy for the purest reasons, not to fish for the approval of the world around you.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Alot of good insightful things being posted right now...I just wanna add a couple more things into this thought train:

I don't think I touched on this in my initial post but it was somewhat touched on by a couple of the above posters...I feel like we need to differentiate and separate what we need to do for ourselves versus what we need to do for others.

And all this really boils down to is happiness, doesn't it? But in order for us to know what happiness feels like we need to know what it's like to not be happy...how they usually say " you don't know what you've got until it's gone" or " you don't know what you have until the well runs dry"

They say confidence is the key to getting what you want out of this world...women, status..etc. But does confidence stem from the inside out or the outside in? Right now I feel like saying its both. You need to be both positive and firm that who you are, your character speaks volumes about what you've been through and what you have learned...but at the same time I would absolutely be lying if I said that I didn't like a nice pair of clean chucks or tennis sneakers in the summer to make me feel even better. Why? Was I "brainwashed" into thinking this by ads and t.v. that I needed a clean pair of kicks to feel better about myself? Possibly...but it's so far back that I couldn't tell you if something like that happened. But what I do know is what I feel in this present moment...and what I feel is an affinity towards clean sneakers.

But relating this to my original post...does this relate to me appeasing myself through appeasing other individuals with my clean sneakers so they have a better impression of me? Am I placing my control in external forces/objects/people? Truthfully speaking I would again say both...i'd be lying to say that the product of me liking to wear new/clean kicks while making me feel better does also increase my happiness if I do get a positive comment about them from others...
True confidence comes from the inside. If you allow other influences (people, media, pop culture) to dictate how confident you are, then you also allow them to take it away.

Same goes with happiness and balance in your life.. I believe all these aspects of life need to begin from the inside and need to be controlled by YOU.

Do things because YOU want to do them and because they make YOU happy for the purest reasons, not to fish for the approval of the world around you.

This whole argument is circular.

Let's say i buy shoes to impress guys.  Well that makes me feel good having something in common with other people ie: sneakers, and i get a confidence boost when people check out my shoes.  So this in turn makes me happy.  And isn't "doing you" doing what truly makes you happy?  So am i really doing it just for others or am i doing it for me?

I like to think about "doing you" in the sense of if there was no one else on earth and it was only me 0 other people what would i do?  But the point of being alive is to intercommunicate with other humans.  So if you need a material object to do that it is kind of key to living a fulfilling happy life

I think about this stuff but i always come out to the same conclusion....there is no conclusion. 

Let's say i buy shoes to impress guys.  Well that makes me feel good having something in common with other people ie: sneakers, and i get a confidence boost when people check out my shoes.  So this in turn makes me happy.  And isn't "doing you" doing what truly makes you happy?  So am i really doing it just for others or am i doing it for me?

I like to think about "doing you" in the sense of if there was no one else on earth and it was only me 0 other people what would i do?  But the point of being alive is to intercommunicate with other humans.  So if you need a material object to do that it is kind of key to living a fulfilling happy life

I think about this stuff but i always come out to the same conclusion....there is no conclusion. 

What are you talking about defensive of my lifestyle? What lifestyle are you referring to? I am not into cars, shoes (never collected for the record), nor am I a flashy dude that uses that flash to attract females. I am confused as to what I am getting defensive about. You lost me there.

@ Kablam, how is confidence acquired in your opinion? It sounds nice to say, confidence is from within, but confidence is a relative trait. I feel unless you have something to compare yourself to, the idea of confidence doesn't even exist. Confidence's definition:

belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities; self-confidence; self-reliance; assurance: His lack of confidence defeated him. 

So meaning unless you see how others operation and how skilled, intelligent, determined, etc, others are, you can't really BELIEVE that what you posses is top notch. So again, I view confidence as a world relative trait that is acquired through experience and exposure of situations and other people.

What are you talking about defensive of my lifestyle? What lifestyle are you referring to? I am not into cars, shoes (never collected for the record), nor am I a flashy dude that uses that flash to attract females. I am confused as to what I am getting defensive about. You lost me there.

@ Kablam, how is confidence acquired in your opinion? It sounds nice to say, confidence is from within, but confidence is a relative trait. I feel unless you have something to compare yourself to, the idea of confidence doesn't even exist. Confidence's definition:

belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities; self-confidence; self-reliance; assurance: His lack of confidence defeated him. 

So meaning unless you see how others operation and how skilled, intelligent, determined, etc, others are, you can't really BELIEVE that what you posses is top notch. So again, I view confidence as a world relative trait that is acquired through experience and exposure of situations and other people.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Which is why "doing you" doesn't make sense to me because YOU don't naturally do anything. You take everything you have seen in this world (Other people) and determine (consciously or subconsciously) what you will mimic and what you won't mimic. So there is essentially no such thing as "doing me."

Which is why "doing you" doesn't make sense to me because YOU don't naturally do anything. You take everything you have seen in this world (Other people) and determine (consciously or subconsciously) what you will mimic and what you won't mimic. So there is essentially no such thing as "doing me."

I again want to say that this topic is a highly individualized one...there's no true fact only opinions from people gathered from experience. The uniqueness of a person is what makes humanity shine. This post isn't meant to deter people from living a certain lifestlye but rather compare opinions in order to form a better understanding on the situation.

My father was a guy just like what DC is saying...he lived that life, got nice cars, had nice clothes, was a manager of 200+ people...and now 3 marriages later has come to terms that he's better doing his own thing for himself.

I mean as long as you can keep supporting the image you want to have then there's no real beef. The problem lies with like I said keeping it going...which from my experience is a hard thing to do...and what it leads to is bagging a girl of it...possibly making her your wife and then when things change for whatever reason they complain and leave you. Now on the other hand you could have a guy that was just happy with what he has meets a girl then possibly get married...but this girl leaves him down the road because she feels like he was just riding this life at the same level never wanting to advance himself...these situations need to be looked at for both possible extremes.

With that being said we need to stop looking for the "right" answer to solve all of life's problems for us because guess what...it's not gonna happen.

What we need to do as individuals is to determine what happiness is for ourselves...both short-term and long-term...living in the moment and planning ahead...truly take a truthful self-assessment, work on what we consider are our weakpoints given if they inhibit us from accomplishing short/long term personal achievements....or if their just weakpoints determined by what society deems weak...and if we find the need to find a significant other/companion/life partner/soulmate/whatever and setup shop with them and start a family, to make the best quality/educated decision we can.

This is our quality of life we're talking about here...not some easy decision that is forced upon us or what we "feel" needs to be done in order to conform to society. This is the right in life that we seek the best for ourselves in order to attain happiness. And while happiness may come and go we can all agree that for all we know this is the only life we have so careful examination of what needs to be done in order to attain this is something we should all start thinking about.

I again want to say that this topic is a highly individualized one...there's no true fact only opinions from people gathered from experience. The uniqueness of a person is what makes humanity shine. This post isn't meant to deter people from living a certain lifestlye but rather compare opinions in order to form a better understanding on the situation.

My father was a guy just like what DC is saying...he lived that life, got nice cars, had nice clothes, was a manager of 200+ people...and now 3 marriages later has come to terms that he's better doing his own thing for himself.

I mean as long as you can keep supporting the image you want to have then there's no real beef. The problem lies with like I said keeping it going...which from my experience is a hard thing to do...and what it leads to is bagging a girl of it...possibly making her your wife and then when things change for whatever reason they complain and leave you. Now on the other hand you could have a guy that was just happy with what he has meets a girl then possibly get married...but this girl leaves him down the road because she feels like he was just riding this life at the same level never wanting to advance himself...these situations need to be looked at for both possible extremes.

With that being said we need to stop looking for the "right" answer to solve all of life's problems for us because guess what...it's not gonna happen.

What we need to do as individuals is to determine what happiness is for ourselves...both short-term and long-term...living in the moment and planning ahead...truly take a truthful self-assessment, work on what we consider are our weakpoints given if they inhibit us from accomplishing short/long term personal achievements....or if their just weakpoints determined by what society deems weak...and if we find the need to find a significant other/companion/life partner/soulmate/whatever and setup shop with them and start a family, to make the best quality/educated decision we can.

This is our quality of life we're talking about here...not some easy decision that is forced upon us or what we "feel" needs to be done in order to conform to society. This is the right in life that we seek the best for ourselves in order to attain happiness. And while happiness may come and go we can all agree that for all we know this is the only life we have so careful examination of what needs to be done in order to attain this is something we should all start thinking about.

Completely agree with you

Completely agree with you

Well in this example it isn't really circular...or not so on a deeper level.  In this example what makes you happy is getting looks from the homie's based on what heat your wearing.  Take away the homies and you have nothing.  
While I may not 100% agree that the point of life is to be social with other people I will say that what we create with them is a road to happiness...but like you were alluding to...there are many roads to happiness.

DC you were getting so adamant about doing certain things to bag females that I thought that was your lifestyle.

As per your recent comment about confidence...I think again your resorting to the general cookie cutter approach that in order to acquire confidence there needs to be a standard that you need to measure up to...and I don't think this is true.  While I agree our first tastes of confidence is from possibly scholastic achievement, or through sports or from our parents when they give us positive recognition from the act of coloring inside the lines or walking for the first time...it doesn't necessarily need to be measured against another's in order for us to quantify it.  Confidence imo is more qualitative that can be fostered from within but in my case for example I received confidence in being able to score highly on an exam or receiving recognition for my work done which lead me to develop confidence from within or the ability to find it from within.

I can tell you right now that i'm still afraid of public speaking, but my understanding now that this is my only life and I want to be able to speak in front of large crowds before I die is something I discovered from within and that no amount of how good I look on the outside is going to help me in attaining this feat.

Well in this example it isn't really circular...or not so on a deeper level.  In this example what makes you happy is getting looks from the homie's based on what heat your wearing.  Take away the homies and you have nothing.  
While I may not 100% agree that the point of life is to be social with other people I will say that what we create with them is a road to happiness...but like you were alluding to...there are many roads to happiness.

DC you were getting so adamant about doing certain things to bag females that I thought that was your lifestyle.

As per your recent comment about confidence...I think again your resorting to the general cookie cutter approach that in order to acquire confidence there needs to be a standard that you need to measure up to...and I don't think this is true.  While I agree our first tastes of confidence is from possibly scholastic achievement, or through sports or from our parents when they give us positive recognition from the act of coloring inside the lines or walking for the first time...it doesn't necessarily need to be measured against another's in order for us to quantify it.  Confidence imo is more qualitative that can be fostered from within but in my case for example I received confidence in being able to score highly on an exam or receiving recognition for my work done which lead me to develop confidence from within or the ability to find it from within.

I can tell you right now that i'm still afraid of public speaking, but my understanding now that this is my only life and I want to be able to speak in front of large crowds before I die is something I discovered from within and that no amount of how good I look on the outside is going to help me in attaining this feat.

I will wait.

So 3 NT interviews now sum up an entire population of individuals who are passionate about sneakers? 

I'd imagine that collecting anything holds different meaning for the individual who collects. My hobbies are purely for my enjoyment and are self-fulfiling. Nobody in my family or in my immediate circle of friends share the same passion as I do for the hobbies I have.  Now, please explain to me how "my" passion for sneakers is for the approval of other males, when the only other males I know of who are into sneakers reside on the web?

I will wait......

I will wait.

So 3 NT interviews now sum up an entire population of individuals who are passionate about sneakers? 

I'd imagine that collecting anything holds different meaning for the individual who collects. My hobbies are purely for my enjoyment and are self-fulfiling. Nobody in my family or in my immediate circle of friends share the same passion as I do for the hobbies I have.  Now, please explain to me how "my" passion for sneakers is for the approval of other males, when the only other males I know of who are into sneakers reside on the web?

I will wait......

It is a form of fashion. Fashion is the ultimate display of individuality. Display = Attention. Really simple concept. Unless you are sitting on all of those shoes for re-sell purposes, I view shoe collecting the same as women buying shoes. They buy shoes to look cute. Shoe dudes do the same.

Yes it is that black and white in this situation.

It is a form of fashion. Fashion is the ultimate display of individuality. Display = Attention. Really simple concept. Unless you are sitting on all of those shoes for re-sell purposes, I view shoe collecting the same as women buying shoes. They buy shoes to look cute. Shoe dudes do the same.

Yes it is that black and white in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom