Meditative Thought #4 - Do we micro-manage too much of our life, too much of the time? Flow with it

This is a great thread fellas.
pimp.gif

I agree that "doing you" doesn't make sense in the traditional sense but what people forget to do is reflect and meditate at the end of the day.

Once you reflect and meditate then you can make precise decisions to define who you are or who you want to be. At the end of the day you can ask yourself "Do I like the person that I am?, what do I need to change?, Did I handle that situation correctly? what could I have done better? Once you do this enough times, the decision making will no longer be on the conscious but it will end up being on the subconscious and automatic.

That is defining who you are. At least to me.

I agree that "doing you" doesn't make sense in the traditional sense but what people forget to do is reflect and meditate at the end of the day.

Once you reflect and meditate then you can make precise decisions to define who you are or who you want to be. At the end of the day you can ask yourself "Do I like the person that I am?, what do I need to change?, Did I handle that situation correctly? what could I have done better? Once you do this enough times, the decision making will no longer be on the conscious but it will end up being on the subconscious and automatic.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

It is a form of fashion. Fashion is the ultimate display of individuality. Display = Attention. Really simple concept. Unless you are sitting on all of those shoes for re-sell purposes, I view shoe collecting the same as women buying shoes. They buy shoes to look cute. Shoe dudes do the same.

Yes it is that black and white in this situation.

So what you're telling me is you believe that self-expression equals an attemp to gain attention?

It is a form of fashion. Fashion is the ultimate display of individuality. Display = Attention. Really simple concept. Unless you are sitting on all of those shoes for re-sell purposes, I view shoe collecting the same as women buying shoes. They buy shoes to look cute. Shoe dudes do the same.

So what you're telling me is you believe that self-expression equals an attemp to gain attention?

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

Of course it is. Expression is an outward action for others to see.

You can't express yourself TO yourself can you? Of course not. You express yourself to the world.

So yes that is an easy question. Self expression is an attention seeking act.

Definition:

to show, manifest, or reveal: to express one's anger.

Read the first word. To show. Why show something if nobody is willing to see or notice it? A show is a public display.

So again, YES to answer your question.
Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Ahhhhhhhhhh
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You can't express yourself TO yourself can you? Of course not. You express yourself to the world.

Definition:

Read the first word. To show. Why show something if nobody is willing to see or notice it? A show is a public display.

Ahhhhhhhhhh
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Definition:

Ahhhhhhhhhh
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

DC this isn't a post where i'm trying to outright contradict you on every point you make BUT in my experience you CAN express things to yourself.  This can come about after some deep thought regarding your current personal status in life.  I've done it many times....I've thought about certain action i've taken, reflected on them as was able to uncover things just to myself that I was too ignorant to acknowledge before.
Manifestation, and revelation can be experienced by only just 1 person. It doesn't necessarily need to be done in front of others or crowds.  Of course credibility can be argued in these instances it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Natural Mystic I think your right when you say that or infer that change can arise when you do self-assessment...but my original point of this post; "micro-managing" is something I believe our generation does more than they need to.  Always trying to figure out what I have done wrong instead of thinking "have I done anything wrong?"  This can be seen in dudes who approach a girl with the best intentions and the girl dismisses them because he wasn't an $#*@*$+.  Does that warrant a need for change? 

Definition:

Ahhhhhhhhhh
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

DC this isn't a post where i'm trying to outright contradict you on every point you make BUT in my experience you CAN express things to yourself.  This can come about after some deep thought regarding your current personal status in life.  I've done it many times....I've thought about certain action i've taken, reflected on them as was able to uncover things just to myself that I was too ignorant to acknowledge before.
Manifestation, and revelation can be experienced by only just 1 person. It doesn't necessarily need to be done in front of others or crowds.  Of course credibility can be argued in these instances it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Natural Mystic I think your right when you say that or infer that change can arise when you do self-assessment...but my original point of this post; "micro-managing" is something I believe our generation does more than they need to.  Always trying to figure out what I have done wrong instead of thinking "have I done anything wrong?"  This can be seen in dudes who approach a girl with the best intentions and the girl dismisses them because he wasn't an $#*@*$+.  Does that warrant a need for change? 

We are talking about fashion. Not psychological expression or personal assessments.

How can a man express his sense of fashion to himself GrimLock?

You are taking my statement out of context. Stay on topic. Fashion. How can you express FASHION to yourself?

We are talking about fashion. Not psychological expression or personal assessments.

You are taking my statement out of context. Stay on topic. Fashion. How can you express FASHION to yourself?

Ahh I see...duly noted.  Totally took that out of context...my bad.  
But why couldn't you express fashion to yourself?  Why is it just a one dimensional thing for you?  Why do YOU NEED to do something for others?

Why can't I take solace in what i'm wearing for the day...like alot of the days of my life and just hit the streets?

Sometimes I can dress to impress for nights out, and sometimes I can wear whatever the hell I want to when I'm running errands.

Wouldn't this go back to confidence we were talking about?....If your confident in your individuality and in your style why would you need to express anything to anyone much less what you wear?  Given that you can't walk outside naked without some ramifications...what of those people who just put on a beat up t-shirt and some rusty jeans to go to work?

Or is it called fashion only when your trying to get looks?  While what we wear is probably the first thing that gets noticed when we step into the streets...it's not the only thing that should speak for who we are.

I've seen dudes who dress like what we would consider "bum" wear, and still get girls...

Ahh I see...duly noted.  Totally took that out of context...my bad.  
But why couldn't you express fashion to yourself?  Why is it just a one dimensional thing for you?  Why do YOU NEED to do something for others?

Why can't I take solace in what i'm wearing for the day...like alot of the days of my life and just hit the streets?

Sometimes I can dress to impress for nights out, and sometimes I can wear whatever the hell I want to when I'm running errands.

Wouldn't this go back to confidence we were talking about?....If your confident in your individuality and in your style why would you need to express anything to anyone much less what you wear?  Given that you can't walk outside naked without some ramifications...what of those people who just put on a beat up t-shirt and some rusty jeans to go to work?

Or is it called fashion only when your trying to get looks?  While what we wear is probably the first thing that gets noticed when we step into the streets...it's not the only thing that should speak for who we are.

I've seen dudes who dress like what we would consider "bum" wear, and still get girls...

It is called fashion when the effort is there. If I don't care and just throw on sweats and a white T to deposit a check in the bank I don't consider that fashion. But if I am spending X amount of $ on tennis shoes, I do not think that is a form of expression to ones self. I think that it is done to impress others and to get a reaction out of other people. I mean there is nothing wrong with that, that is what human beings do. We do things for recognition.

Some people use their brains, other use their wallets. But we want some form of attention and/or recognition.

People that don't care what they put on don't fall victim to what we are speaking of. But if someone is spending that much $ on some damn shoes, there is no way I can conclude that they "don't care."

It is called fashion when the effort is there. If I don't care and just throw on sweats and a white T to deposit a check in the bank I don't consider that fashion. But if I am spending X amount of $ on tennis shoes, I do not think that is a form of expression to ones self. I think that it is done to impress others and to get a reaction out of other people. I mean there is nothing wrong with that, that is what human beings do. We do things for recognition.

Some people use their brains, other use their wallets. But we want some form of attention and/or recognition.

People that don't care what they put on don't fall victim to what we are speaking of. But if someone is spending that much $ on some damn shoes, there is no way I can conclude that they "don't care."

Originally Posted by BRaTZ DoS

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I can honestly say the most important thing to me in life as far as achievement goes has absolutely nothing to do with women. In fact it seems to have a negative effect on my ability to get women
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

But yea a lot of what we do is motivated by what others think of us. I think I've gotten to a point in my life where I just stopped caring. Not a single damn has been given these past few years.

agreed on all accounts.
Wow..you hit every point! I feel the same way. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BRaTZ DoS

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I can honestly say the most important thing to me in life as far as achievement goes has absolutely nothing to do with women. In fact it seems to have a negative effect on my ability to get women
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

But yea a lot of what we do is motivated by what others think of us. I think I've gotten to a point in my life where I just stopped caring. Not a single damn has been given these past few years.

agreed on all accounts.
Wow..you hit every point! I feel the same way. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by L0keY Jeenius

nice post. this is the type of $*@$ I think about when I'm 
pimp.gif
This
pimp.gif

You have to realize that when you're being fake, people can see that. Not everyone, but the people who you're trying to blend in with can. I've come to the conclusion that there is a certain type of girl that I'm attracted to and that is attracted to me (the crazy ones
30t6p3b.gif
). As much as I've tried to make it work with different types of chicks, it never really feels right.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Alot of the time I feel that on one side you only have one life to live so if your gonna stunt you might as well stunt hard...but on the other it's like you don't really like any of this nonsense and you'd rather do something you find/feel is worthwhile...the latter of which i've been going towards for the past 5 years...maybe it's a sign of maturity.  BUT theirs always the allure of the "shiny/expensive" club always calling your name in this era.
My thoughts are always that I could die any day, so what if I didn't live the way I really wanted to. I am always down to go to a game, show, vacation, event, etc, because those are the types of things I really enjoy. That's why I have a hard time saving money. What good is money when you're dead? I really would rather spend a rack in Vegas than buy a new TV.

I realize how much of an impact that magazines, t.v., music, billboards, posters and what have you really determine for us what we need to be changing for ourselves instead of us feeling what we WANT to do/change about ourselves.
Word. Media really has brainwashed so many people. I've paid stupid amounts of money for kicks just like the rest of this board. Is there any way a pair of shoes should cost $300? No.

Change comes from the inside.

Originally Posted by L0keY Jeenius

nice post. this is the type of $*@$ I think about when I'm 
pimp.gif
This
pimp.gif

You have to realize that when you're being fake, people can see that. Not everyone, but the people who you're trying to blend in with can. I've come to the conclusion that there is a certain type of girl that I'm attracted to and that is attracted to me (the crazy ones
30t6p3b.gif
). As much as I've tried to make it work with different types of chicks, it never really feels right.

Alot of the time I feel that on one side you only have one life to live so if your gonna stunt you might as well stunt hard...but on the other it's like you don't really like any of this nonsense and you'd rather do something you find/feel is worthwhile...the latter of which i've been going towards for the past 5 years...maybe it's a sign of maturity.  BUT theirs always the allure of the "shiny/expensive" club always calling your name in this era.
My thoughts are always that I could die any day, so what if I didn't live the way I really wanted to. I am always down to go to a game, show, vacation, event, etc, because those are the types of things I really enjoy. That's why I have a hard time saving money. What good is money when you're dead? I really would rather spend a rack in Vegas than buy a new TV.

I realize how much of an impact that magazines, t.v., music, billboards, posters and what have you really determine for us what we need to be changing for ourselves instead of us feeling what we WANT to do/change about ourselves.
Word. Media really has brainwashed so many people. I've paid stupid amounts of money for kicks just like the rest of this board. Is there any way a pair of shoes should cost $300? No.

Change comes from the inside.

Confidence comes from success. You can't have natural confidence if you haven't tasted success one way or another. Because unless you succeed, you don't know if you have "it."

So confidence comes from wordly experience, so I wouldn't call that from within per-say.
See, i dont completely agree with this. Just me. I think confidence comes from deep within and it starts with Intent and then a desire to succeed [if you dont succeed at first, keep trying]. Yes once success is achieved at a certain level your level of confidence can boost up in other metrics..

And as far as "doing you". One that knows themselves and understands what they stand for can indeed say im "doing me". I understand your argument that EVERYTHING we "do" is not "ours" and taken from others...okay well going off of that..."doing you" would be how you take everything that you have seen others do and deciding how it will apply to your lifestyle.  For example, ive seen:

-great work ethics

-people robbing people

-people going to law School

-people gang banging

-people collect shoes

Of these things Ive taken the ones that appeal to my overall success and happiness and do those...therefore "im doing me".
smokin.gif

Confidence comes from success. You can't have natural confidence if you haven't tasted success one way or another. Because unless you succeed, you don't know if you have "it."

So confidence comes from wordly experience, so I wouldn't call that from within per-say.
See, i dont completely agree with this. Just me. I think confidence comes from deep within and it starts with Intent and then a desire to succeed [if you dont succeed at first, keep trying]. Yes once success is achieved at a certain level your level of confidence can boost up in other metrics..

And as far as "doing you". One that knows themselves and understands what they stand for can indeed say im "doing me". I understand your argument that EVERYTHING we "do" is not "ours" and taken from others...okay well going off of that..."doing you" would be how you take everything that you have seen others do and deciding how it will apply to your lifestyle.  For example, ive seen:

-great work ethics

-people robbing people

-people going to law School

-people gang banging

-people collect shoes

Of these things Ive taken the ones that appeal to my overall success and happiness and do those...therefore "im doing me".
smokin.gif

Have you never looked in the mirror and said, "Damn, I look good?" It's really not that hard to understand that some people dress well for themselves.

Have you never looked in the mirror and said, "Damn, I look good?" It's really not that hard to understand that some people dress well for themselves.

But trying and tying and failing doesn't increase confidence. I just can't see confidence as a stand alone feeling that one gets without the influence of any type of exposure/success. It can come from deep within but again, until you compare yourself to someone/something, you have no reason to question your abilities or inabilities.

Example, if I was on a farm, and I played basketball with myself up until the age of 15. I don't think I truly have confidence in my game. Why? Because I have yet to test it on anyone. I can feel good about myself and I can know that I can make shots on my farm hoop, but that isn't confidence. To trust in my abilities, I need some sort of measurement, because without it, I am just competing against my own mirror.

But trying and tying and failing doesn't increase confidence. I just can't see confidence as a stand alone feeling that one gets without the influence of any type of exposure/success. It can come from deep within but again, until you compare yourself to someone/something, you have no reason to question your abilities or inabilities.

Example, if I was on a farm, and I played basketball with myself up until the age of 15. I don't think I truly have confidence in my game. Why? Because I have yet to test it on anyone. I can feel good about myself and I can know that I can make shots on my farm hoop, but that isn't confidence. To trust in my abilities, I need some sort of measurement, because without it, I am just competing against my own mirror.

Back
Top Bottom