::MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES SEASON THREAD: Grizzlies Waiting Before Offering Z-Bo Extension::

!%% is going on with Henry??

Should've just taken Babbitt
smh.gif

I know these dudes aint gonna !@%% up the draft 2 yrs in a row

Zach and Grizz working on a extension.

Last summer, I thought trading Darko for Zbo was ano-brainer. Of course, trading Darko and Jaric for him duringthe season before that should have been more of a no-brainer, but thatis neither here nor there.

However, despite being in favor oftrading Darko for Zbo and despite thinking that Zbo had more of animpact on the win improvement than internal growth from the other guysor Hollins coaching I'm not in favor of givingthis guy a long-term extension. I just feel there is betterdirections to go long term with our younger players. We need to find a way to lock Gasol up.

I honestly see him being around 18 and 10 with Zach not there and a defensive presence beside him. He shot only 9 shot attempts this past season and averaged almost 15ppg and 9rpg as the 4th option, while shooting 58%. Give him the same amount of attempts Zach got last season, knock his FG% down to around 50% along with his ability to pass and he can be a great big man.

It would be much smarter to wait until next summer to extend Z-Bo, but I guess this is Memphis' way of rewarding him after such a terrific season.

I hope this is a sign that Heisley will spend money on the core four. Marc should be in line for a 5 year-$60 million (Andrew Bogut/Andrew Bynum money) at the very least. O.J. probably gets 5 years-$55 million (Ben Gordon money).

RIP Ren.

I'm fine with going forward next season without giving out any money til' next summer. I'll like to see us not pick up any options on players with the exception of OJ and use Thabeet to bring in a big that can play the PF/C position (Varejao comes to mind) and start with a lot of cap under the new CBA.

However, if we did keep Zach, I'd like Varejao as the third big to complimentboth Zach and Marc. But, back to the cap space we'd be sitting atroughly $34M with Rudy, OJ, Varejao, Allen, Henry, and Vasquez undercontract. More than enough space to set up Marc nicely and stillhopefully get some decent complimentary players.

But Henry isnt signed yet
laugh.gif
(Unless i missed something, no pun intended)

But anyways, once Zbo gets extended i can see him turning back into his fat lazy self. bad choice imo.

We always end up with a West Coast road trip within' the first few games of the season.

I got high expectations this year with the team solely on the fact that we stayed together another year and we should actually be healthy. I still don't like our bench, but we basically didn't have Brewer or Arthur last season. Now we add a healthy Arthur, Allen, a better Sam Young, a slightly improved Thabeet, MAYBE Henry
laugh.gif
and hopefully better production from Law/Vasquez than what we got from Tinsley/Williams.

Heisley ends up paying the rooks what they wanted in the first place. 
ohwell.gif
 Glad its finally done though.
Now, we can focus on training camp. I've been hearing people predictions go anywhere from 40-54 wins. Honestly, it all depends on how well our team grew internally. Rudy looked good for Team USA defensively which is something we wanted to see from him in a Grizz uniform.

I'm going to hold off on my prediction until close to the season though. Last year I was right on the mark with 38 wins +- 2. I may increase that to 48-50, but have to wait and see.

PHOTO BY NIKKI BOERTMAN // BUY THIS PHOTO

Ready for the season to take flight, Hasheem Thabeet has some fun at Grizzlies Media Day as he tries out an airplane pose for the team shoot.

Rudy Gay perked up when asked to put into words what Zach Randolph means to the Grizzlies.

"I'll bet you Marc (Gasol) wishes Zach was Spanish," Gay said, partly ribbing Gasol for Spain's sixth-place finish at the World Championships earlier this month. "But we respect Zach a lot as a player. He's a part of our future."

Whether Randolph plays for the Grizzlies beyond this season is a chapter yet to be written. The 6-9 power forward is entering the last year of his contract, and has unsuccessfully negotiated an extension to this point.

But Randolph arrived at the Grizzlies' media day Monday afternoon with a message that should leave little doubt about how he intends to handle the present.

After averaging 20.8 points and 11.7 rebounds last season when he earned his first All-Star appearance, Randolph insists Memphis should expect more of the same.

"I love the game. I love to play," Randolph said, smiling as he deflected any notion that his contract status will be an issue this season. "It's not going to be anything for me to give 110 percent."

As much as Randolph's agent, Raymond Brothers, tried to engage the Griz in contract talks, there was no movement.

Meanwhile, Gay got an $84 million contract and gold medal in the World Championships this summer. Griz coach Lionel Hollins received a three-year contract extension. Gasol and O.J. Mayo continue to emerge as cornerstones, and the franchise signed free-agent veteran Tony Allen.

Arguably, the Griz will go as far as Randolph's experience and productivity will take them.

At least that's the general understanding from teammates to the coaching staff.

"We want more of the same," Hollins said when asked what more can Randolph do to help the Griz.

"Zach is the man. Zach is carrying a lot of weight for this team," point guard Mike Conley said. "And he's a different kind of leader. He's not talking and yelling all the time. But his attitude is grittiness. He competes and everybody feeds off that. You look at him and say, 'Man, he's working hard.' You definitely want to follow him."

Randolph, 29, said he wants to finish his career in Memphis.

The Griz appear to be taking a wait-and-see approach before deciding whether to commit to Randolph long term.

There are people with knowledge of the mild contract discussions that say Randolph is seeking a deal similar to Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol (a former Grizzly). Gasol signed a three-year, $65 million extension in December. It is not known what Memphis is willing to pay, but the franchise is also faced with paying Marc Gasol next summer.

Gasol will be a restricted free agent while Randolph will be unrestricted in 2011.

"Zach is enjoying his time in Memphis," Brothers said, refusing to discuss contract negotiations. "He's got a lot of respect for the owner. He's been great and Zach appreciates that."

Griz general manager Chris Wallace would only say that both sides continue to talk with nothing new to report.

Here's something else that hasn't changed: When the Griz need a run stopper or desperately seek a score, Randolph's number will be called in the huddle.

Just like last season.

"To be honest, he's one of the biggest playmakers on the team," Conley said. "When it comes to double teams he has to make a lot of decisions, and he does that very well."

So far, Randolph's poker face and physique look good, too.

Randolph returned in the same excellent physical condition he reported with a year ago.

Asked about his mental health for this season, Randolph chuckled.

In other words, he's loose and still happy to be in Memphis.

"This is a blue-collar town and I fit in with them," Randolph said. "I haven't been welcomed like this ever, not even in Portland. This (contract business) is just a part of it. I think I'm a pretty good player. And I want to be here. I think I'm a perfect fit for this team and this town. Maybe if I was somewhere else I would have been signed. But I don't wish I was somewhere else."

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

Let's go Grizzlies!

They won 40 games last year with a terrible start, including wins against some of the league's best. They have improved their roster, and the cornerstones have improved as well. (hopefully)

47 to 50 wins is what I am possibly seeing from Juice and company.

That tony allen addition can help. Late in games possibly, you can him in there at the one on offense, and keep O.J. at the 2 on offense. Then on defense, Tony can guard 1-3 so that would allow O.J. to guard one's down the stretch, something that he did a great job of doing in college, and in the pros so far.

Back
Top Bottom