Michael Jordan to Blame for Riots Over Shoes: What Isiah Thomas Said and 5 Things He Could Do With N

some of you need to get MJs midsection out of your face for a quick second and be unbiased.

How often are people clamoring to go to FL? Exactly. Only when there's a LIMITED RELEASE or a GR Jordan release that has been HYPED by Nike themselves. Why make us camp in the first place?

Jordan really went all in with the Banned 1s. They made profit on a scraped shoe because they built the hype around it by letting a few release to test the waters and when they saw kids ate it up, all of sudden we had people camping at an OUTLET STORE.

I know for a FACT, a FACT...the majority of people HATED concords before this release. But, with all the negative press and hype, all of a sudden everyone thinks its the greatest shoe of all time, a grail, a must have.

The last time there was a riot was for COOL GREYS and that was because Nike Limited the hell out of them. That shoe was one of the first shoes in the pre re-sell, prepubescent "sneaker head" era that a Jordan XI was hard to come by.

I agree people are to blame for their actions but you have to look at the cause and effect in a bigger picture. Quit making your shoes "MUST HAVES" that force parents and kids to wait in line over night, sometimes NIGHTS just to spend the money they dont have.

Bring back the days of coming mid day and copping your size with no hassle.

The bottom line is that every product you see in a mall based environment (video games, shoes, athletic gear, fashion clothes) is all planned and marketed to a specific demographic.

From urban clothes to more preppy type clothes to video games to everything else you see in major retailers, those companies have spent millions of dollars researching and plotting what demographic to attempt to appeal to in order to earn the highest sales and profits. Same as movie companies targeting certain audeniences with their advertising

Nike/JB is not wrong for doing this nor are they alone. Every company does it, thats big business and the American way....

Originally Posted by BrotherForReal

some of you need to get MJs midsection out of your face for a quick second and be unbiased.

How often are people clamoring to go to FL? Exactly. Only when there's a LIMITED RELEASE or a GR Jordan release that has been HYPED by Nike themselves. Why make us camp in the first place?

Jordan really went all in with the Banned 1s. They made profit on a scraped shoe because they built the hype around it by letting a few release to test the waters and when they saw kids ate it up, all of sudden we had people camping at an OUTLET STORE.

I know for a FACT, a FACT...the majority of people HATED concords before this release. But, with all the negative press and hype, all of a sudden everyone thinks its the greatest shoe of all time, a grail, a must have.

The last time there was a riot was for COOL GREYS and that was because Nike Limited the hell out of them. That shoe was one of the first shoes in the pre re-sell, prepubescent "sneaker head" era that a Jordan XI was hard to come by.

I agree people are to blame for their actions but you have to look at the cause and effect in a bigger picture. Quit making your shoes "MUST HAVES" that force parents and kids to wait in line over night, sometimes NIGHTS just to spend the money they dont have.

Bring back the days of coming mid day and copping your size with no hassle.

people hated concords???????? 
roll.gif
i stopped reading after this. young man that is a big negative
no wait i need a good laugh...

quit making your shoes MUST HAVES??? 
roll.gif

omg i cant breath 
roll.gif

Also Nike spends zero money marketing the XI and produces them in a greater quantity then any other JB release throughout the year. These are both facts and confirmed by Nike employees. They just appear limited because the demand is so big. It is the consumer itself who hypes them, not Nike. The main issue is everyone wants to buy to resell, but there is nothing Nike/JB or the retailer can really do about this, even if they limited it to 1 per person the same problem would exist

Originally Posted by AKA LONGSTROKE

Originally Posted by West Coast Avenger

Originally Posted by BigLescobar

There is no doubt that people are responsible for their own actions, you are one hundred percent correct. But as I've stated on the other thread, Nike purposefully planned this release as they did, targeting a specific demographic, using exploitative measures. Best Buy simply puts items on sale, not targeting anyone on payday, or those from a certain socio economic sector. 
I know white millionaires in Rhode Island that buy from Best Buy, and I know lower income African Americans who shop there as well.
This comparison makes zero sense at all and is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen on NT.  JB/Nike is a company, Best Buy is a retailer.  Do you understand the difference between the two?  If anything compare Foot Locker to Best Buy. Best Buy sells other companies products in its stores as does footlocker. They do not make or release products themselves nor do they plan the release dates. Footlocker has cheap 40 dollar Filas as well as 200 dollar Nikes, same thing as Best Buy catering to different markets.  Video game companies roll out big system and game releases by the same schedule as do tons of other industries, whether clothing or electronics all purposefully plan release dates with the same critieria

LOL @ trying to go this route, whether its a brand or a retailer it does not make a difference they all coincide to release things when people have money you really over thought this too much and totally missed the point. You must be a child or a pre teen. The fact of the matter is its the people waiting in line for these releases that cause all the drama
If this was supposed to address me and what I've stated, as soon as someone begins to insult, you've lost the debate.
Please allow me to apologize, as I do not think that I have slighted you personally here. The WSJ article was not written by me, nor the text in the link quoting Thomas.

However, the mood set by Nike and Footlocker, as per the article, was clear. Time the release, sell as many as possible, targeting those who do not know any better.

That wasnt for you breh that was for the homey who said to ask around who he was.........
roll.gif

Originally Posted by you go boy

this release was way more crazy than any iphone release period.... you can buy an iphone after it sells out the same thing cant be said about sneakers in general... once that restock is depleted thats it!

I agree. I took issue with the day that jb chose to release it's most popular model of the year and the limited supply that was available. Three days before Christmas on a school day was probably one of the worst decisions nike made with this release, ethically. One can agrue that most video games and dvd's are also released during school days so what seperates nike from the rest? While yes, that is very true, video game stores on an average will have a lot more supply than demand, which enables kids to go after school and still have the game be available to them. And say that some stores weren't able to meet demand, i don't know of any store who doesn't take pre-orders on any of their games. And worst comes to worst, next week a new shipment will arrive.
pimp.gif

Notice every company other than NIKE  never releases it's most popular product even remotely close to the holidays. Iphones? Always in june, this year was in September. Still ended up being on everyone's wish list.
PS3's when they 1st released: Early novermber of 06', restocked every week if sold out.
Wii's: mid novermber 06',  restocked every week if sold out.
Even the most popular video games have NEVER released around the holidays.

All of which received little to no public outrage when they released.
Jb does it every year, and gets fround upon every year for their christmas releases. 

LOL @ trying to go this route, whether its a brand or a retailer it does not make a difference they all coincide to release things when people have money you really over thought this too much and totally missed the point. You must be a child or a pre teen. The fact of the matter is its the people waiting in line for these releases that cause all the drama
You talkin to me? You better ask around who I am.....
What I said is that all industries are set up on release schedules according to the same critieria JB /Nike uses, but the retailer doesnt make these release dates...

Best Buy doesnt tell Sony when to release the new PS system, but the date is carefully planned out.

LMAO!! F**k outta here with all that!! And I know exactly what you said I didnt need the confirmation on your stupid comment homey

Ok tough guy you really got me there..... you basically cosigned everything Ive been saying

The bottom line is that every product you see in a mall based environment (video games, shoes, athletic gear, fashion clothes) is all planned and marketed to a specific demographic.

From urban clothes to more preppy type clothes to video games to everything else you see in major retailers, those companies have spent millions of dollars researching and plotting what demographic to attempt to appeal to in order to earn the highest sales and profits. Same as movie companies targeting certain audeniences with their advertising

Nike/JB is not wrong for doing this nor are they alone. Every company does it, thats big business and the American way....
I don't think that you realize how incorrect you are. It may be impossible for you to see otherwise, but when was the last time you've seen or heard of someone in the hood get killed for getting an education?
Maybe that's a bit deep for you to grasp, but that is what this is really about. Address how certain things can be averted, if those powers that be would simply step up, then address the madness over something that really should not matter. However, Nike simply stands by then allowing it to continue, helping to perpetuate the stereotypical behaviours that does not, and never will, benefit society as whole.

Also Nike spends zero money marketing the XI and produces them in a greater quantity then any other JB release throughout the year. These are both facts and confirmed by Nike employees. They just appear limited because the demand is so big. It is the consumer itself who hypes them, not Nike. The main issue is everyone wants to buy to resell, but there is nothing Nike/JB or the retailer can really do about this, even if they limited it to 1 per person the same problem would exist

yup always been the reseller who makes it hard to get your pair. everybody is lazy these days. nobody wants to work for money these days so they go and buy up stock and slap um on ebay.
you online nerds who call this "hustling" to try to make your fat lazy %#% seem street legit kill me 
laugh.gif

You talkin to me? You better ask around who I am.....
What I said is that all industries are set up on release schedules according to the same critieria JB /Nike uses, but the retailer doesnt make these release dates...

Best Buy doesnt tell Sony when to release the new PS system, but the date is carefully planned out.

LMAO!! F**k outta here with all that!! And I know exactly what you said I didnt need the confirmation on your stupid comment homey

Ok tough guy you really got me there..... you basically cosigned everything Ive been saying

Naw smart guy, you said on the first page that Brands and Retailers are different with their releases, I called you out on your BS then by the 26th comment you was changing your story up with the quickness, now you are agreeing with me. LOL!!

I don't think that you realize how incorrect you are. It may be impossible for you to see otherwise, but when was the last time you've seen or heard of someone in the hood get killed for getting an education?
Maybe that's a bit deep for you to grasp, but that is what this is really about. Address how certain things can be averted, if those powers that be would simply step up, the address the madness over something that really should not matter. However, Nike simply stands by then allowing it to continue, helping to perpetuate the stereotypical behaviours that does not, and never will, benefit society as whole.

Im not talking about ethics viewpoint here, I have just been strictly looking at it from a legal/business standpoint. As someone who worked many years in the field before buying my own brand licenses, believe me I know 100% the research with demographics that is done in all fields.....
Ethically, yes as far as the way people are behaving sure I agree its definitely wrong. There is no argument there. Like I said I have been replying from a business point of view of the companies perspective, so maybe I have misconstrued your angle.  Alot of the problem is the way the malls let hundreds of people line up and then run inside in chaos with no order. Is this Nikes problem or the retailers? That is up for debate but I think its more up to the retailer to handle and all these Malls have done a horrible job I agree.

What is the answer though? It is easy to criticize but someone needs to come up with a legit solution. If they sold everything online there would be tons of people mad they coudlnt get it in person. 

Alot of it comes down to individuals behavior, Nike cant control that

Naw smart guy, you said on the first page that Brands and Retailers are different with their releases, I called you out on your BS then by the 26th comment you was changing your story up with the quickness, now you are agreeing with me. LOL!!

The brand sets the release date of products, not the store
Lemme know when you own or work at a brand that makes these decisions....... Being a Best Buy cashier doesnt count sorry

The brand sets the release date of products, not the store
Lemme know when you own or work at a brand that makes these decisions....... Being a Best Buy cashier doesnt count sorry

HAHAHA!! Let me know when you grow up and dont live with mommy and daddy

http://niketalk.com/topic/319188

I got no reason to lie about who I am homie.....

Just here trying to have a debate on a subject I care about and know about.....

Lets get back to the subject.......

Nice car! I have a Beamer though and a family I support but this aint no pissing contest homey. Regardless back to the subject

Maybe that's a bit deep for you to grasp, but that is what this is really about. Address how certain things can be averted, if those powers that be would simply step up, the address the madness over something that really should not matter. However, Nike simply stands by then allowing it to continue, helping to perpetuate the stereotypical behaviours that does not, and never will, benefit society as whole.

Im not talking about ethics viewpoint here, I have just been strictly looking at it from a legal/business standpoint. As someone who worked many years in the field before buying my own brand licenses, believe me I know 100% the research with demographics that is done in all fields.....
Ethically, yes as far as the way people are behaving sure I agree its definitely wrong. There is no argument there. Like I said I have been replying from a business point of view of the companies perspective, so maybe I have misconstrued your angle.  Alot of the problem is the way the malls let hundreds of people line up and then run inside in chaos with no order. Is this Nikes problem or the retailers? That is up for debate but I think its more up to the retailer to handle and all these Malls have done a horrible job I agree.

What is the answer though? It is easy to criticize but someone needs to come up with a legit solution. If they sold everything online there would be tons of people mad they coudlnt get it in person. 

Yes, they do.  You may not be talking ethics, but the WSJ article hints at it, and the Thomas article nails it.
It's called exploitation, pure and simple. I've stated on the other thread before it was locked, that you cannot find Air Jordan's of any kind in areas like Greenwich, Connecticut. However, all along areas 125th street, they are there, and the presence is amazing.

Jordan was famous for suggesting that republicans buy shoes too, when criticized for not supporting a Black Democratic nominee Harvey Gant, in what I believe was Jordan's home state.  

If they do indeed buy Air Jordan's, and Greenwich is a republican stronghold, why weren't the shoes, the Concord XI sold there as well?

I think that you know what I am getting at here. Can you imagine the droves of cats from the hood camping out in Greenwich?

Nike, Jordan and the retailers knew exactly what they were doing.

If your trying to just say that Nike sells more of its stuff in the poorer , urban, predominantly black areas then yea, they definitely do thats no secret....

Thats the #1 sneaker buying demographic in the country.....

I remember reading an article in the late 90s or early 2000s about how the Bronx and Harlem have the highest rate of sneaker stores per sq ft in the country....

The internet destroyed the jordan brand.

Nikepark used to be a place for fun, like-minded shoe heads
who were in it for the love of the sneaker.

Now it's hypebeast mayhem. Information spreads too quickly
and aye body and they mama hop on said bandwagon. Now,
the sincerity of the releases and what they were meant to
accomplish are lost in the mist of chaos and hysteria.

I'm not entirely upset that I didn't obtain a pair of 'Cords, but
the concept of reselling has disgusted me to a volume of angst
and resentment for the current state of nike shoe-dom.

It's creigh.

If your trying to just say that Nike sells more of its stuff in the poorer , urban, predominantly black areas then yea, they definitely do thats no secret....

Thats the #1 sneaker buying demographic in the country.....

I remember reading an article in the late 90s or early 2000s about how the Bronx and Harlem have the highest rate of sneaker stores per sq ft in the country....
Right, then add in Asia. Nike is in control of this issue, and then can correct it.
Now, we all know how things work in this country, in regard to what is considered a problem in certain areas. The drug problem in the inner cities were not considered a national problem, until drugs like crack began to hit the 'burbs, and the white community. 

If these riots had occurred in places like Greenwich, best believe that Nike and the retailers would issue statements supporting that community.

Does anyone here deny that?  

Nike is responsible.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

seriously op and his anti nike propaganda. 
laugh.gif
 at this point hes just reaching for anything 
jordan been targeting holiday shoppers for years. but guess what? its not just them. 
eek.gif
 businesses have been doing that for decades 
eek.gif
 shocking right?

I Agree that a lot of the blame falls on the stores themselves and the individual. HOWEVER, when stores sign their consignment with nike, it is NIKE's obligation to make sure that these stores are suitable to handle big releases like this. The footlocker in bay shore (where i live) used to do a pooooor job handling big releases. They had no limits on purchases, so customers would walk out with like 4-5 pairs, they never informed security of big releases, never made their quantity count public so you would have x amount of people waiting for x amount of pairs only to find out that they only had 15 pairs available. Fights and brawls incurred, and after the malls filed a complaint, nike had CUT OFF their air jordan supply. From 04-07 that footlocker never saw one air jordan release.

My point is that there used to be a point when nike enforced the rules on their consignment. Within recent years nike has kept quite and decided to let the stores take the blame. Nike needs to do more to make sure that the stores can handle themselves around big releases. Apple does a great job enforcing their rules amongst at&t and verizon stores. Nike USED to do it -- why not continue.

Yes, they do.  You may not be talking ethics, but the WSJ article hints at it, and the Thomas article nails it.
It's called exploitation, pure and simple. I've stated on the other thread before it was locked, that you cannot find Air Jordan's of any kind in areas like Greenwich, Connecticut. However, all along areas 125th street, they are there, and the presence is amazing.

Jordan was famous for suggesting that republicans buy shoes too, when criticized for not supporting a Black Democratic nominee Harvey Gant, in what I believe was Jordan's home state.  

If they do indeed buy Air Jordan's, and Greenwich is a republican stronghold, why weren't the shoes, the Concord XI sold there as well?

I think that you know what I am getting at here. [color= rgb(153, 0, 0)]Can you imagine the droves of cats from the[/color] hood [color= rgb(153, 0, 0)]camping out in Greenwich?[/color]

lmaoo the community would NEVER let that fly. Kids cutting school to camp for these in Greenwich would catch the illest summons. Not to mention you'de be given another summons for trespassing. Once the mall is closed, everyone is to leave the premises. End of story!

Originally Posted by ccastro02

I think that you know what I am getting at here. [color= rgb(153, 0, 0)]Can you imagine the droves of cats from the[/color] hood [color= rgb(153, 0, 0)]camping out in Greenwich?[/color]

lmaoo the community would NEVER let that fly. Kids cutting school to camp for these in Greenwich would catch the illest summons. Not to mention you'de be given another summons for trespassing. Once the mall is closed, everyone is to leave the premises. End of story!
Dude, you KNOW the deal.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

There is no doubt that people are responsible for their own actions, you are one hundred percent correct. But as I've stated on the other thread, Nike purposefully planned this release as they did, targeting a specific demographic, using exploitative measures. Best Buy simply puts items on sale, not targeting anyone on payday, or those from a certain socio economic sector. 
I know white millionaires in Rhode Island that buy from Best Buy, and I know lower income African Americans who shop there as well.

You serious breh? Didnt the Cool Grey's release around the same time last year? Targeting specific demographics? LMFAO!! I didnt see a van with a Concord on it rolling through the hood nor did I see any billboards. There was virtually no promotion for this shoe besides sneaker blogs and word of mouth

seriously op and his anti nike propaganda. 
laugh.gif
 at this point hes just reaching for anything 
jordan been targeting holiday shoppers for years. but guess what? its not just them. 
eek.gif
 businesses have been doing that for decades 
eek.gif
 shocking right?
Name one time when a company other than nike released their most anticipated  item of the year around christmas. Name the company and the product. C'mon, name one. And i repeate their most ANTICIPATED ITEM".

Back
Top Bottom