Michigan QB Ryan Mallett to transfer

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Ryan Mallett has left the Michigan football program, and the quarterback might be reunited with his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

[+] Enlarge

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

Ryan Mallett, who played in 11 games as a freshman, isn't thought to be suited for new coach Rich Rodriguez's spread offense.

"He's on his way home," Jim Mallett told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "We don't know where he's going to go yet, but we need to do something quick. We're going to visit three, four or five schools."

The former Texas Class 4A offensive player of the year may end up at Tennessee, which is considering hiring former Michigan offensive coordinator Mike DeBord and quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler.

"If they're hired, that would be a real good possibility," Jim Mallett said. "Ryan really clicked with both coach DeBord and coach Loeffler during the last couple months of the season and during bowl practices, I've never seen Ryan throw the ball or read defenses as well as he did."

Mallett said his son also will consider transferring to Texas A&M, Arkansas and UCLA among other schools. After sitting out next season, he will have three years of eligibility.

"Several schools have called and we're still open-minded about any program that runs a pro-style offense," he said. "He's going to enroll this semester, so we've got to get moving."

Mallett played in 11 games as a freshman, filling in for Chad Henne when he was injured. He was 61-of-141 for 892 yards with seven touchdown passes and five interceptions.

As soon as Lloyd Carr retired and Rich Rodriguez was hired, Mallett's days seemed to be numbered because of Rodriguez's spread offense that has featured mobile quarterbacks.

"It just wasn't a fit and yet, it was a hard decision," Jim Mallett said. "When he came home for Christmas, he told me and my wife that he really was falling in love with being at Michigan.

"Ryan wants to thank coach Carr, his staff and all the players for helping him have a great experience the past year."

I didn't see this coming. Would the NT CFB experts care to chime in?

I heard Tenn has the best chance of landing him.

Any info on that Gunna
nerd.gif

someone said last week he was going to ucla, i guess that was premature

Watch for where Loeffler goes. That would be where Ryan goes. This kid has been rumored and flirted with tranferring for his entire time there. A big loss?Sure. World ending? No. The kid was not being repsectful to RR and his teammates and RR decided to not waste any more time on him. 1 player does not make orbreak the team. Steven Threet isn't too far behind Mallett in terms of raw potential and he will be a RS Frosh. Threet was also the guy that the vets onthe team liked more. especially the defensive guys and OLineman. Jake Long called Ryan out in front of a ton of people when he first showed up at Michigan.That was one of the main things that really made Ryan think if he wanted to be there. A LB on Michigan gave some friends of mine that story. Said, Ryan walkedout tere with his head down and looking like a B. He had an ego about him that many did not like. Was more about ME than TEAM. The rumor was that teammateswanted to see Threet win the starting job and they hought he could for this year.I also think this gives us a very good shot at Pryor now. Not a lock by anymeans but a damn good shot. RR is taking over this program and is not letting players distract him from what he wants to accomplish. The team left the teammeeting (that Ryan SKIPPED) PUMPED about RR and his staff. Many seem to be falling in line and some will perish. Oh well. This guy has his eye on the prize andI am very excited about him.

Mallett has a crazy strong arm. He'll be great anywhere he goes.

Terrelle Pryor running the offense in Ann Arbor next semester?

Terrelle Pryor running the offense in Ann Arbor next semester?
I kind of feel like RR must already know, I mean why else would he act like its no big deal.

Everyone knew this was coming. He might want to consider Texas A&M. Sherman is a proven coach, runs a pro-style, and Mallett is from Texas.

someone said last week he was going to ucla, i guess that was premature

I don't think anyone said Mallett was going to UCLA. UCLA has always in the mix and the fact that he would be a good fit was discussedextensively.

I see him going to UCLA or Arkansas, two schools with HC's at the helm that have groomed QB's. Texas A&M has a shot since Mallett is from Texas. It's a toss up, but I say Arkansas or UCLA.

I just heard from ESPN that he's most likely going to go to Tennessee. *Waiting for a slick reply from FR3SH*

Come to Aggieland please.

Amen. I would hate to see Jerrod Johnson not get a chance, but I wouldn't mind seeing McGee get beat out. A two QB set with Mallett and Johnson would bepretty
pimp.gif
though, but I don't see Sherman running that kind of offense.

His dad said they need to hurry up and pick a school so he can get enrolled. It might take a while for Loeffler to find a job. It will be very interesting tosee if Mallett goes somewhere and Loeffler ends up there a little while later. I have heard that Lefty wants to stay somewhat close to Michigan though. The guyis a good QB and was a stud in HS but he is not ready to be an OC. He will very shortly but is still too young and inexperienced.

I would say that A&M, Vols, and Arkansas are the most likely to get him.

He will have a good career where ever he goes but the kid needs to get his butt handed to him and get his ego in check. People don't like it. At leastmidwest boys don't.

A guy should not have to sit out a year if he transfers becasue the coach leaves or retires. Thats bs for the athlete.

Originally Posted by mjd77

A guy should not have to sit out a year if he transfers becasue the coach leaves or retires. Thats bs for the athlete.
Yea ideally, but, u sign that scholly to play for a school, not play for a coach. n doubt its a bad situation when the coach u sign with leaves butwhats the difference if the coach is fired?

Back
Top Bottom