MLB Trade Deadline thread - Everybody to LAD; Contreras to COL; Kazmir to ANA; Wagner to BOS.

[h1]Red Sox & Indians Considering Three-Way Deal[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 31 at 12:24am CST]

The Red Sox and Indians discussed a three-way deal Thursday night that would send Victor Martinez to Boston and ClayBuchholz to Cleveland, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. The deal wouldinclude a third team and send prospects in all directions.

The Red Sox and Indians contacted other teams to find a match. The Red Sox might want to trade recently-acquired Adam LaRoche to the third team, since he wouldn't fit well if they add Martinez.

There are indications that the Rays have interest in Martinez, too, but it's a "long shot" that he goes to Tampa because the Rays have financial limitations that would likely force them to make a preliminary deal before acquiring Martinez. With just over 14 hours left, they don't have much time.

The Blue Jays have not lowered their price in trade discussions with the Rangers concerning ace right-hander Roy Halladay.

The Jays still want left-hander Derek Holland, first baseman Justin Smoak and two other prospects, according to major-league sources.
Yeah, @#!* that... Cliff Lee just got traded for ONE Top 50 prospect and a bunch of second-tier guys... The trade market for Cy Young pitchers hasbeen set...

Keep him. We'll talk again during the winter when his value drops off and you're looking at significantly less return...

Riccardi is trying to save his job right now and hoping somebody is dumb enough to buy his bull #+*#...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Riccardi is trying to save his job right now and hoping somebody is dumb enough to buy his bull #+*#...

total mismanagement

laugh.gif

I cant believe JP ******i was given the green-light to shop around possibly the best pitcher in baseball.

This piece of +$@# has been in charge of the team for 8 seasons now and not once have we come close to making the playoffs. He tried winning using the moneyball approach and failed horrifically. He tried winning by throwing big money at guys like Frank Thomas, Burnett, Ryan, acquiring Troy Glaus, then Scott Rolen,overpaying to resign Rios and Wells...and it still didnt work. Our team's payroll was almost $100 mill last year and we still didnt come close to theplayoffs. Now the team ownership wants to cut payroll and they expect him to lead the rebuilding process.

How the !++% does he still have a job? Since he took over, only the Jays, Orioles, Royals, Rangers, Nationals/Expos, Reds and Pirates have not made theplayoffs. In the past 8 years, I'm positive that all those teams have changed their GM's and team Presidents due to their disappointing results.Meanwhile, this %%@#$# has failed for 8 years and is being asked to make moves that'll affect this team 5-6 years down the road?

I hate this team's front office
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

This ****** tries to shift the blame on Halladay by claiming "He doesn't want to sign an extension with us...he wants to explore free agency". Heforgets to note that Halladay signed a 3-year extension with the team a few years ago at a hometown discount in order to give the team some extra money tospend on other players. ******i also fails to mention that maybe Halladay would've been interested in signing an extension if this team actually was...youknow...COMPETITIVE. Why the he.ll would Halladay consider signing another extension with such a hopeless team when he can get paid AND chase a ring with alegit title contender?

The sad thing is I genuinely believe that Halladay enjoys playing in Toronto. The problem is, he's fed up of ******i creating false hope about this teamcompeting next year if "so and so" happens. Halladay realizes that this team wont be going to the playoffs anytime soon.

BTW, I dont like the comparisons of Lee and Halladay. "Lee only got the Indians this much so the Jays should not expect more in return for Halladay".Halladay has been a monster for 7 years now. Yeah, he's had a string of injuries but he has been a horse when healthy and has been super consistent for awhile now. Lee had 1 good season like 4 seasons ago and was a beast last year. He was also pretty good this season on a weak Indians squad. However, who wouldyou rather have...a guy who's been good for 7 seasons or a guy who's been on-and-off his entire MLB career? They're both almost the same age sothat isn't a factor. Halladay is worth much more in return than Lee...if a team is unwilling to trade 3-4 very good prospects for arguably the best pitcherin the game, then good luck finding someone else that can be half as productive as Halladay.

Is it fair to say Toronto's ownership may be putting Riccardi in a position to be the guy that sells off Roy Halladay before they fire him, rather thanfiring him and having a new GM be in a position where he's either trading Roy or watching him walk in free agency?

Roy Halladay Rumors: Thursday Night
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 31 at 1:04am CST]

1:04am: Rosenthal and Morosi report that the Blue Jays are asking for Holland, Justin Smoak and two other prospects.

if a team is unwilling to trade 3-4 very good prospects for arguably the best pitcher in the game, then good luck finding someone else that can be half as productive as Halladay.
Depends how you define 'very good' prospects... Toronto asked the Rangers and Phillies for two Top 25 prospect PLUS some...
laugh.gif
Yeah,right...

Teams don't trade boatloads of young talent anymore... Much less young talent on the verge of the Major Leagues... It is what it is...

Riccardi is trying to save a job he's probably already lost for a team that isn't anywhere near being competitive in their own division... Holding ontoHalladay at this point is a mistake in my opinion... You hold him past tomorrow afternoon, the value plummets. You hold onto him past the winter and take himinto next season, when you're sure to fall out of contention again, and the value plummets even further...

If you're gonna trade him, now's the time...
"Lee only got the Indians this much so the Jays should not expect more in return for Halladay"
Nobody has said they shouldn't expect more...

But the market has been set. Like it or not, Roy Halladay is not going to bring you significantly more in return than what the Indians got for Cliff Lee...Will the Blue Jays get more than the Indians? Sure. Should they get more? Sure. But they're not gonna get two Top 15-20 prospects in baseball (Smoak andHolland/Feliz) when Cliff Lee just got traded for a package headlined by an 18 year old A-ball pitcher and a bunch of solid second-tier prospects...

Riccardi mismanaged the situation and got beat to the punch. He let the market pass him by... Nobody's fault but his own...

The benchmark has been set because the Indians got a deal done first. That's all on Riccardi.

If you consider the return for a Lee a 7.0 on a scale of 1-10, the return for Halladay will be 7.5, tops. If you wait until winter, 7.0, maybe lower.
It is what it is...
The Indians need to give me Anthony Castrovince's job as top team beat writer. It's the night before the trade deadline and this dudehasn't updated his blog or Twitter in like 32 hours.

Halladay is adored by the city of Toronto...I think I speak for a lot of people in saying that if he does get dealt, I hope he goes to a very good team and heends up winning a World Series.

Dude is a consummate professional...never complains, works hard and gives 100% every single night.

I know the deadline is tomrrow...anybody know the exact time though?

Cabrera Talks Progressing For Twins & A's
By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 1:26am CST]
1:26am: ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports that the A's and Twins are making "steady progress" as they discuss a deal that would send Cabrera to Minnesota.

11:31pm: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports report that the Twins are making progress in their attempt to acquire Cabrera. The teams continued talking today and expect discussions to resume tomorrow.

9:30am: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle has a few hot stove notes on the A's this morning.

Despite interest, the A's do not intend to trade infielder Adam Kennedy. They might even try to re-sign him for 2010 eventually. The 33 year-old is hitting .296/.350/.434 in 327 plate appearances while playing second and third base. Oakland acquired Kennedy back in May from the Rays.
Slusser debunks a Providence Journal report from Daniel Barbarisi that the Red Sox turned down a trade for Orlando Cabrera. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe agrees with Slusser, saying Cabrera "is not keen on returning to Boston."
We do know that the Twins have talked to the A's about O-Cab. Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun says the Twins are "still chasing" Marco Scutaro as well.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

The benchmark has been set because the Indians got a deal done first. That's all on Riccardi.

If you consider the return for a Lee a 7.0 on a scale of 1-10, the return for Halladay will be 7.5, tops.
How is it on Riccardi? Allow him self to be low balled by poor offers? They were litterally offering the same deal or Roy, JP would be burned ineffigy if he accepted that. Is it his fault the Rangers deccided to only get serious in the 11th hour? and how did he know the indians will make a dumb trade?

I believe the public handling of this has been bad but I don't think JP he has done a bad job negotiating because I would have done the same thing.

Hallday isn't Cliff Lee, Halladay has been one of the most dominant of our generation not 1.5 years.
laugh.gif

Hallday probably should have one Cliff's Cy young.
grin.gif

What Roy Halladay has done or did do 3, 4, and 5 years ago is irrelevant... Why do I care if he was more dominant than Lee 5 years ago?

Their trade value is set by what they are RIGHT NOW... And right now, Cliff Lee is a reigning Cy Young winner putting together another great season...

Yes, Roy Halladay should and will command more in return. But he is NOT worth damn near DOUBLE what Cliff Lee got traded for...

When was the last time a team traded two Top 25 prospects in the same deal? IT DOESN'T HAPPEN.

Im not sure what the Jays are looking for tho. Like does Riccardi think he is gonna get enough players to make them contenders this year. Thats not gonnahappen for 1 pitcher. Hell with or without Halladay they probably wont make the playoffs this year or next. Might as well get some decent talent now while theycan because if you wait till next year teams are just gonna wait till he is a FA since hes already said thats the route hes going.

But like I said yesterday I can blame the Jays for waiting till the last minute to get a deal done.

A. You use him for as long as you can (granted they didnt get a win in his last start)
B. You let everyone get their best deals together and you choose the one you like best.

But I do not see any benefit hat so ever in keeping him. Unless they really think they can get better offers during the offseason but I dont know if I see thatunless Halladay agrees to sign a contract extension with the new team.

This team isn't that bad, our injured pitchers come back next year all our younger guys have another year of seasoning and get another bat in the offseason and we can contend.

A rotation of Halllday/Marcum/Romero/Cecil/Litsch seems pretty nice. Plus a more seasoned Snider and Lind, and the best defense in baseball.

We don't HAVE to deal Halladay, you guys are making it seem like we have too.
grin.gif

They won't make the playoffs this year or next WITH Halladay, much less without him...

They're the 4th best team in their own division, with Baltimore coming quickly... If they want to sit on Halladay and trade him later for far less value orwatch him walk to Boston or New York in Free Agency after next season, fine, that's their problem...

I want Roy Halladay in Arlington. I'd give up a hell of a package of prospects to get it done... But Derek Holland, Justin Smoak PLUS some, even after themarket has played out as terribly as it has for the Jays and another ace fetched only one Top 50 prospect?
grin.gif
Keep him.

Hey you know your team better than I do so I wont argue. But you havnt even been close in our division its gonna be tough to break through but keep hope alivefor next year.

And no you dont have to deal him, but if you dont you risk anding up with nothing. He is your biggest bargaining chip to work towards the future why not takethat opportunity. But hey if they really think they have a shot next year keep him and see what happens. I could care less where he goes unless he comes to theSox. Or god forbid Skimask Cash makes a deal for him. Other than that it doesnt really effect me

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

Cabrera Talks Progressing For Twins & A's
By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 1:26am CST]
1:26am: ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports that the A's and Twins are making "steady progress" as they discuss a deal that would send Cabrera to Minnesota.

11:31pm: Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports report that the Twins are making progress in their attempt to acquire Cabrera. The teams continued talking today and expect discussions to resume tomorrow.

9:30am: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle has a few hot stove notes on the A's this morning.

Despite interest, the A's do not intend to trade infielder Adam Kennedy. They might even try to re-sign him for 2010 eventually. The 33 year-old is hitting .296/.350/.434 in 327 plate appearances while playing second and third base. Oakland acquired Kennedy back in May from the Rays.
Slusser debunks a Providence Journal report from Daniel Barbarisi that the Red Sox turned down a trade for Orlando Cabrera. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe agrees with Slusser, saying Cabrera "is not keen on returning to Boston."
We do know that the Twins have talked to the A's about O-Cab. Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun says the Twins are "still chasing" Marco Scutaro as well.

Get it done
88926f919a8b85dce39466b0bd92b677d651d878.gif

We still need to acquire another arm though, preferably in the pen but we have a need at SP too.

Back
Top Bottom