Mom installs 98-inch screen in son's bedroom ceiling

quik1987

Banned
July 23, 2009 | by Lisa Montgomery
Patti Deni wanted to surprise her teenage son by giving him his own big-screen TV, so while their new home was being built, she contacted Williamsville, NY-based Stereo Advantage with an idea: Instead of mounting the set to the wall, like everyone else does, she suggested having the TV laid flush across the ceiling.

171_Bedroom2-opener300.jpg

"It was definitely a first for us," says systems designer Kevin Bohner.

A 98-inch StarGlas60 display from Stewart Filmscreen was chosen for the unusual project.

"Because it's so big and has such a wide viewing angle, Patty's son wouldn't have to lay flat on his back necessary to see the screen," Bohner explains.

"He and his friends can prop themselves just about anywhere and get a good view," adds Patty.

In order to support the weight of the display, plus the NEC video projector and the specialty Draper projection mirrors positioned behind it (a total weight of more than 300 pounds), the ceiling had to be reframed and reinforced.

Also, wiring had to be installed to tie the teen's gaming consoles, laptop computer and cable box to the rear-projection assembly.

Although her son spends plenty of time gaming, Patty says that viewing and editing his own videos is probably her son's favorite big-screen application-about the only thing that's typical in this totally unconventional viewing environment.

171_Bedroom1-web.jpg

171_Bedroomopening-web1.jpg

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/100_inch_screen_gets_mounted_flush_in_the_ceiling/

At first I thought it was dumb but that could actually be really comfortable.

The novelty would wear off pretty quickly though.

Actually should've just knocked out a wall and put this in...

panasonic-150-inch-plasma.jpg

Panasonic > NEC
grin.gif

come to think of it - how far back would you need to sit to get the full picture of this... i know for 50" it's like 10 feet they say... unless thiskid has 20 foot ceilings, he's not even going to be able to enjoy the tv properly - not to mention the fact that he'll be laying on his back everytimeto watch it also.

He doesnt have to lay on his back guys

Because it's so big and has such a wide viewing angle, Patty's son wouldn't have to lay flat on his back necessary to see the screen," Bohner explains.

Thats boss,
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

come to think of it - how far back would you need to sit to get the full picture of this... i know for 50" it's like 10 feet they say... unless this kid has 20 foot ceilings, he's not even going to be able to enjoy the tv properly - not to mention the fact that he'll be laying on his back everytime to watch it also.
Very far. His eyes are gonna be @%+%%@ by time he's 30..

There is no way in the !@%+ I would be able to sleep comfortably with that hovering over my bed. I'd always have the fear that it would somehow come undoneand fall thus crushing me in my slumber....

I can't go
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom