[| -- (MTV) Fabolous & DJ Drama Gangsta Grillz (MIXTAPE MONDAY) -- |]

DYNAMICS

formerly diplomat tdot
Check the link here for the video of the Fab & DJ Drama Interview.
http://www.mtv.com/bands/m/mixtape_monday/120307/

"Mixtape Monday: Lil' Kim Honors Female MCs (Except Remy Ma); Fabolous And DJ Drama 'Still Got It' On Joint Tape."

Artists: DJ Drama and Fabolous
Representing: The Aphilliates and "Street Fidddddddammmm"
Mixtape: Gangsta Grillz: There Is No Competition

411: "We linked up like beef sausage," a smiling Fabolous said a couple of weeks ago while standing next to DJ Drama. The two came together to speakabout their new joint effort, Gangsta Grillz: There Is No Competition. Fab obviously has a catalog of mixtapes with other DJs, such as DJ Clue, but this is hisfirst Gangsta Grillz - and if you listen to the two laugh about their first meeting years ago, this collabo is a long time coming.

"I came up to him and said, 'What up, I'm DJ Drama,' " Dram said.

"I was like, 'I know who you are. I know what you do. Let's do it together,' " Fabolous said.

"It was only right we teamed up and did it," the mixtape king chimed in.

"We had to do this because you know what kind of singles I put out," Fab continued. "I put out singles to keep the cash register ringing. Sopeople might think I'm slippin' a little bit. Even on your side [turning toward Drama], you putting out an album. They see you putting an album out ..."

"They say I'm not putting out tapes no more," Drama chimed in.

"We just letting people know there is no competition," Loso finished. "We still got it in us. I still got the mixtape in me. You gonna hearStreet Fam heavy on the tape: Red Cafe, Paul Caine, Freck the Billionaire. Drama is gonna do what he do. I'mma overdo what I do."

Besides the new Gangsta Grillz mixtape, yes, Drama is releasing his Gangsta Grillz: The Album on Tuesday.

"It all worked out because I call myself 'Mr. Thanksgiving,' " Drama said. "What a better time to drop than during the holidays, a weekand a half after Thanksgiving? I can feed the people, the streets. We get busy."

Drama's album has been delayed a few times due to the raid on his studio earlier this year and controversy over his well-known moniker. In the interim, hetook time to take some material off the record, such as the Just Blaze-produced Lil Wayne song "Million Dollar Baby," and add new records like thealbum's first single, "5000 Ones." Nelly, Diddy, Yung Joc, T.I., Young Jeezy, Twista and Aphilliates Music Group's own artist Willie the Kidall appear on the LP.

"We went back in, added a couple joints, bangers," Drama said. "We got '5000 Ones.' I think we set a record for cameos of hip-hopartists in the video. I went to [the song's producer] Jazze Pha after my album got pushed back and said, 'I need a banger. They counting me out rightnow.' Jazze brought [the track] to the table. We sat down and mapped out a vision for the song. I said, 'We gotta make a major motion picture, theOscars is coming up.' I wanted to make a song that makes sense. I represent the gangstas, but we got the females involved. It's an ode to the Atlantastrip-club scene, but it's also a feel-good party song.

"When we do a song like this," he added, "we map out the whole thing - who sounds good on it? It's A&Ring. You gotta figure out theorder, who's gonna sound good on the hook. You can't just pick names out the hat. ... It won't sound good if they don't match up. You gotta getyour star power up. Everybody has to shine. It's like doing a movie like 'Get Shorty' where you have crazy cameos."

Some of the other new material on the album includes "Keep It Gangsta," with Yo Gotti, Lil Boosie and Webbie; and "Cheers," with a familiarcombination from Virginia.

"We got Pharrell and the Clipse," Drama said. " 'Cheers,' that was a celebration in the end. We dealt with the raid situation on thealbum. We got a couple skits on there. Katt Williams made an appearance on the album. The greats in life proved themselves when they went through adversity.It's how you proved yourself when your back was against the wall."

Joints To Check For:

"The Intro." "The intro, that's gonna let you know what it is from the jump," Fabolous said.

"I said, 'Fab, listen, when you start this tape, we gotta start off right,' " Drama added. " 'We got all this music. I needsomething specific for this Gangsta Grillz tape.' He said, 'Send me a couple of [beats].' I sent what I sent, he went crazy."

"That's right," Fab confirmed with a grin. "That's what I do."

"I Don't See Nobody." "That's saying I don't see nobody when doing my thing on my grind," Loso explained. "Nobody is in myway. There is no competition."

"I like to talk a lot on my tapes," Drama added. "I like to speak that truth on my tape. He gave me a lot to talk about too."

"Takin' Pictures" (freestyle). "The beat is so nuts on there, I had to take that beat," Fab said. "The whole Street Fam is on thesong. You'll hear us put a Rodney King beating on the beat. Drama heard it, he put his hands up, gave me the touchdown [signal], and it was over."

"He gave me what I needed," Drama smiled.

Don't Sleep: Other Notable Selections This Week

DJ XL - Play It How It Go
DJ White Owl and NY CEO - Who Got the Crack 3
J Armz - How to Be an MC Vol. 48
Mick Boogie and Busta Rhymes - Dillagence
R.O.C. All-Stars - The Street Leak
Team Invasion - This Sh-- Right Here!

'Hood's Heavy Rotation: Bubbling Below The Radar

Beanie Sigel - "I'm In"
Ghostface Killah (featuring Method Man and Raekwon) - "Yolonda's House"
Icadon (featuring Redman) - "Wus Dat Sound"
Jadakiss - "Welcome to the Roc" freestyle
Snoop Dogg - "Sexual Eruption"

Celebrity Faves

- Snoop Dogg

"Sexual Eruption," "Sensual Seduction" - no matter how you label the song title, we can't stop watching Snoop Dogg's new video.He's having so much fun with it. The clip, inspired by the late-'70s/early '80s, is a direct homage to R&B generals such as Rick James andRoger Troutman - and you can't forget the sprinkle of Prince.

"To me, that is something I always loved doing: emulating the guys I wanted to be like," Snoop said. "Roger Troutman is one of the guys whoinfluenced me as a kid, as well as Rick James and Prince. With the video, I wanted to add those elements to it, and by having that sound in the song, itcomplements the video by showing we can still do that and bring it back to life. I love going back and flashing and showing I can get back in that era. ...I'm going to hip so many young guys onto that style of music who don't know about it."

- Lil' Kim

The Streets Is Talking: News & Notes From The Underground

The Bee is back in the booth. "I rock rough and stuff, still they put me in cuffs," she rhymes with her feminine ferocity to the approval of theTrack Masters, Tone and Poke, who are in the control room in New York's Battery Studios helping Lil' Kim finish the last bit of her new mixtape, Ms.G.O.A.T.

Kim is rapping over Dr. Dre's instrumental to the Lady of Rage's "Afro Puffs." "She's from VA," Kim said of Rage. "A lotof people don't know my moms and pops was born in VA. ... I respect her gangsta, [it's] crazy! So I did it over."

You can also look for remakes of Lauryn Hill's "Lost Ones" and MC Lyte's "Cha Cha Cha" on the mixtape, which is a joint effortbetween Kim and DJs Whoo Kid and Mister Cee.

"This mixtape is special to me because I do a lot of female-rapper songs over, and it's almost a tribute to them and a thank-you and ashout-out," Kim said. "If no one else is gonna recognize them, I'm gonna recognize the women I looked up to and respect and love. I also got alot of new songs on there, like the one with me and 50 Cent. It's hot. I'm glad we could do this. He's really a great person. Love you, Fif."

Kim's stance on 50 is a lot different from what she spat on The Naked Truth. The LP was laced with 50 disses. But lo and behold, a few weeks ago the twoappeared out of nowhere on a new song called "Wanna Lick (Magic Stick 2)."

"Me and Fif always been really tight. We used to talk on the phone every day," she said about their relationship before their most recent falling-outand reconciliation. "He placed a call to me and I thought it was very big of him, and it was all very respectful. When we were on the phone with eachother, we were being very careful to not step on each other's words. It's like the best reunion I think I ever had with a friend. He's really agood person. He had this idea [for the song] and he said, 'Don't nobody do it like you, Bee. I wanna make this "Magic Stick" part two.'Me and Fif got some surprises for y'all."

Just because Kim and 50 have made up, don't go looking for any Kim and Remy Ma collabos anytime soon. Kim just dissed Remy on a freestyle over 50Cent's "I Get Money." The Queen Bee said it was retaliation.

"At the end of the day, I'm not gonna sit there and not say nothing," Kim said. "I spoke how I felt. She can take it how she wanna take it.She goes in on me, I go in back. It ain't even nothing to think about. At the end of the day, it's on wax, but whatever ... because if you go in on me,I got the right to go in on you - bottom line! Next! I don't even look at it as competition."

Kim and Remy were at least cordial at one point. "A lot of people was coming to me like, 'Why you say something about Remy?' ... These chicks killme," she said. "One minute they wanna be my friend, then the next minute they on the radio going in on me. The next minute they on songs going in onme. I can't let nobody take that away from me. It's only but so much you can take."

Kim's tone gets playful when she talks about the title of female G.O.A.T. (Greatest of All Time). "I'm the hottest #%$$% out," she says in aplayful whisper. "I'm real cocky these days, huh? I'm loving it.

"Shout out to all the females in the game," she added. "All females should have the right to be cocky and boast about what they do. One personmight be the best at what they do. Trina is the best at what she does. She's the baddest #%$$% in the South. Missy is the baddest #%$$%, I'm thebaddest #%$$%. It's gotta be love for the next person - love and work. It's art. At the end of the day, it is what it is."

Kim is almost out of her recording contract with Atlantic Records and says she might have a new album out as early as February. ...

- Styles P

The harbinger of hardcore, Styles P, says it blows his mind to work with MCs who are in his Phantom Zone.

"It's admiration and respect for people who do what you do," Styles said about all the music he's been doing with Ghostface Killah and BeanieSigel lately. All the guys have cameos on each other's albums. "These are dudes I love. I see them and build with them. I go crazy when I pop in theirstuff. You gotta keep what you're doing alive with people who do what you do and love this art of ours. These are dudes I could rock with. We all gottogether and we all got joints together. It's really keeping it hip-hop."

Beanie appears on "U Ain't Ready" from Styles' Tuesday release Super Gangster (Extraordinary Gentleman), while Ghost checks in on "Starof the State."

"The track sounds like a '90s old-school Wu-Tang joint," S.P. described. "It had a nasty, hallway vibe. I said, 'I gotta call Ghost forthis.' On the Beanie joint, Dame Grease produced it. We're going back to that formula, man, to make people lose it. Straight hip-hop."

All three just finished a few videos together. Styles broaches race relations on "Cause I'm Black," where he questions why New York officersdidn't go to jail for murdering an unarmed Sean Bell, while Michael Vick is doing time for killing canines. That's just the start of talk on therecord. Black Thought has his own ideas, rhyming, "This system failed, where Mychal Bell might as well be Sean/ Genocide, Jena Six, guilty till weinnocent."

"I've been seeing Black Thought for years, and we always talk," Styles said. "I think he's a hell of an MC. He's incredible.He's great all around, but he's an incredible lyricist. We was building at a tribute to Rakim, and I was like, 'I'd love to do a joint withyou.' Anytime I see Black Thought, Mos Def, Common, Talib [Kweli], I can build with them dudes. Me and Talib, Jadakiss and Black Thought, we had a meanbuilding session one day."

Max B of Jim Jones' Byrd Gang does the chorus on Styles' "Holiday." That record is all over the Net. "The Max B joint, that was meshowing them something different," S.P. said. "That was a flow I never used. I be having flows in my head; I just keep 'em quiet. But it was anincredible beat, something to go left on, so I decided to come left. I always listen to Max B. He always goes a little more uptempo or slower than what he didon 'Holiday.' I like Max's hooks and raps. I needed him to go somewhere he ain't go before 'cause I'm going somewhere I ain't been.It's like magic, when you take two people on a beat that's usually not them. I didn't think you would think of me or Max on that beat. I said,'Let me throw them off.' I wanted something that was different but keep it where I'm from. Nobody can pinpoint what kind of joint that is."

Styles' video for the lead single, "Blow Ya Mind," is one of the more unorthodox clips this year. "In this day and age, you gotta makesomething to play on the radio if you're going to get any type of success," he said of the record, which Swizz Beatz produced. "I don't liketo be anything other than who I am. I felt that song was a fitting joint everybody could relate to.

"For the video," he added, "I felt like I should put my career in my own hands now. I always have ideas and thoughts for my video and otherpeople's videos. I'm independent now. I don't feel I should go to anybody else to put my ideas out. I knew the order of the shots and how I wantedit to look. I didn't want to do what everybody else was doing in their video. I was thinking about the things that blow my mind, things that interest me.You see the bike riders doing tricks, the sharks in the water. I thought of things that trip me out. ... I be tripping out sometimes. I said, 'Let me putit all down.' "

Mr. Sex Tape himself, Ray J, appears on "Let's Go," and Akon brings his lauded résumé to "Got My Eyes on You." On "Da 80s,"the Ghost boasts about not even needing a hook because his lyrics are so strong.

"I'm just trying to be the MC and come with good, old-fashioned street soul music. ... I really feel like the '90s era," he said, talkingabout the vibe of the effort, which marks his debut on the independent powerhouse, Koch Records. "It's like my first [album] as far as hunger, butit's way better as far as maturity and thought pattern. Even on the extremely hard songs, I threw conscious things in it. What caused that emotion? Whatwas I thinking? I tried to go back to the '90s, when MCing was MCing." ...

- Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane has a huge, iced-out "See Spot Run" dog pendant on his chain, but it could just as easily double as a "See Gucci Run" adornmentfor his career. The Alabama transplant has been consistently heating up the A for the past months with all kinds of records, from "Bird Flu" to"Freaky Gurl." And now with Lil' Kim and Ludacris onboard for the "Freaky Gurl" remix, Gucci is making headlines for his music insteadof just his run-ins with the law.

"It took me to another level," he said of the remix. "It's one of the biggest songs I ever put down. It definitely catapulted my career to awhole 'nother plateau.

"I heard Kim's verse when I was in the studio, and I had to redo my verse," Gucci added. "They pushed me, 'cause she was going bananason there. I already heard Luda's verse. I had both before I wrote mine, so I think I had an advantage on that one. I love that remix."

Gucci said the next single, the lead track from his December 11 release, Back to the Trap House, is going to be even bigger. "Stay Fly" was producedby upstart Butter, who worked with Polow Da Don on Rich Boy's debut. Gucci recently shot a clip for the song, featuring Rich Boy and Pimp C. He said thebeat for "Stay Fly" matches the foundation he set with "Bird Flu," which set the overall template for Trap House.

Gucci has a production deal in place with Jimmy Rosemond's Czar Entertainment, and they picked tracks for the album together.

"I wanted like a raunchy, grimy feel to it," Gucci explained. "So I wanted party beats that still could bang in the truck. So trunk music. Theproducers know my swag and what I wanna hear. So they gonna hit it in the head when they give it to me."

Not every track is so dirty, though. The Trey Songz-assisted "Drink It Straight," and "G-Love" (featuring LeToya Luckett) offer smootheralternatives, and according to Gucci, one of the two will likely be the third single.

In the meantime, Gucci is still getting his crew, the So Icey Boys, together. He told us DG Yola may not be in the group by the time the album drops due toissues he's having with Atlantic Records. After that, Gucci is prepping his new artist OJ the Juice Man for for a release, and then he wants to dropanother solo album by the end of 2008.

"I gotta get my catalog going now, man," he said. ...

- New York Police Detective Derrick Parker

The streets are still watching for sure, according to the original hip-hop cop, retired NYPD Detective Derrick Parker. Parker headed up the rap task force andwas responsible for creating the infamous binder that noted information on rappers in abundance. In an interview set to run next week on MTVNews.com, theformer cop-turned-private investigator confirmed that the hip-hop police were plenty active and in fact targeted Lil Wayne and Ja Rule in July at the NewOrleans rapper's headlining New York concert.

"I was there at the concert, at the Beacon [Theatre], working for the promoter at the event," Parker revealed. "And the police were waiting atthe event. And they pulled over Ja Rule and then pulled over Lil Wayne's tour bus, and they arrested both of them for possession of firearms, forguns."

Parker said he's still knee-deep in plenty of rap-related investigations, and he rattled off a laundry list of cases that could easily be solved - from thedeaths of Stack Bundles and New York spin doctor DJ Carl Blaze to the still-open cases surrounding Tupac and the Notorious B.I.G.

"There are other cases that [have] some music or hip-hop connotation to it that can be solved," he said. Parker explained that he wasn't sure ifthe right detectives were on certain cases. It's not that the police aren't well-trained, he said, but he wasn't sure how well detectives now onthe cases knew the neighborhoods they were investigating. Parker said most of the deaths had more to do with personal matters than music-industry politics andthat they require a certain expertise in handling.

Parker most recently served in a consultant role on the Biggie investigation but admitted that he didn't offer all the information he possesses becauseL.A. police officers wanted to handle things their way, and he obliged. He did, however, say that solving the 'Pac case would be instrumental in solvingthe Biggie case ("They both mirror each other because they have the same component of people, it's just different levels," he said. "Butit's all a West Coast thing"), as would a September admission by Waymond Anderson, who previously went on the record with information about the casebefore recanting it.

Parker said Anderson's testimony was critical. "He came forward and gave information on what happened," Parker said. "His information wascredible back then, but what happens now if he ever retracted that statement? This is what makes this case so difficult, because if they ever go to trial,they're gonna pick apart this guy's statement."

For other artists featured in Mixtape Mondays, check out Mixtape Mondays Headlines.

- by Shaheem Reid and Jayson Rodriguez, with additional reporting by Rahman Dukes

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Let's go

This joint gonna be tuff you heard Fab he said ppl think Im slippin out there with the album singles. Yall about to be in for a rude awakening when this drop,too far away tho Monday? this should drop tomorrow
pimp.gif

smokin.gif

"We linked up like beef sausage,"
[color= rgb(204, 153, 255)]AIYOO ![/color]

[color= rgb(204, 153, 255)]but seriously ... i need this tape ASAP ... been beasting for it since I heard about it ... Ithink Fab is about to drop one of the top 5 tapes of the year ....[/color]

Its Never Droppin , I dont think this is going to be better then loso's way and loso'sway 2 better be better then his gansta grillz

Mandatory...Fabo is fire...i know he had couple female joints on "From Nothin' to Somethin'" but the overall album was
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom