My first custom and wondering best way for paint to not crack on leather

I was gonna paint the toe box on a jordan 1 i have from black to white. I wanted to know if i follow the basic guides out there and use acetone to prep the leather, if the white paint i put down over the black will still crack? Any answers or tips would be appreciated and repped. Thanx in advance.

I was gonna paint the toe box on a jordan 1 i have from black to white. I wanted to know if i follow the basic guides out there and use acetone to prep the leather, if the white paint i put down over the black will still crack? Any answers or tips would be appreciated and repped. Thanx in advance.

Generally prepping will help but that toe area has the most use and will crease regardless. Best thing to do is do multiple thin layers(maybe 7) and let dry in between. You may need some sorta polish or another medium to add to the paint to make it flexible. I use flexible gloss varnish and mix with paint. Hope this helps!

Word of advice if you havent already done this. Donpaint white over black. Paint a few light layers of light grey first then paint the white over that. Good luck.

Prep the toe box well. Make sure the surface has no gloss before you apply your first layer if paint. Start with a slightly damp brush to reduce brush marks showing when you paint. Thin layers of paint will help prevent cracking. Keep your brushes clean.

Back
Top Bottom